Print Thread
#476616 19/12/13 07:06 AM
R
Rune Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
I hate to be 'that guy', because I know someone here is going to drop in and claim "Only M&K for PC Master race RPGs" but I prefer to play every game I can with a controller due to serious wrist pain issues.

So let me just stop that up front. If you only want to drop into this thread to proclaim "Mouse and Keyboard is superior, go back to your console and leave PC perfection alone" or something similar, please don't bother. You'll be "That Guy" here, not me. I'm referring to this as a preference due to real physical discomfort. A preference. Nobody is going to take your precious M&K away from you, and in a turn based game there is literally no loss of capability nor will speed of action be a factor such as in action combat shooters or vehicle driving games.

In a previous video released for D;OS, I noted Swen and David had console style controllers laid out on the tables for them to use. It was a co-op demonstration video. I don't have the link, but it was the one that David showed up late for, in a stupid costume. A really stupid looking costume. and then there were some technical difficulties that ended up making his lateness cut short the actual game-play presentation time too much less than intended so I was less than thrilled with the attempt to be "funny" by showing up late in a stupid costume.

I think that this vid;

linked here may contain a tiny portion of that video at it's start, I seem to recall it as being a celebration Co-op demonstration from the Kickstarter's success.

It might have been a Twitch TV video rather than Youtube, as I recall.

But anyway, I digress. I backed this game after seeing that video because I love the idea of the co-op turn-based game-play, but I also loved the idea of being able to lean back and mostly play with a controller, for my wrists sake.

Hoping to hear that controller compatibility is indeed on the table for the game, and I'd love to hear some thoughts about how difficult it's current design might make to having it.

Rune #476622 19/12/13 08:42 AM
R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
I don't want to be that guy, more control options is never a bad thing, but If I were you I'd just get a joy2key profile working. I don't see this as the kind of game where default controller configurations is likely to happen. It's just not well suited in this instance.

Also you must be looking forward to the Steam Controller, that will solve all kinds of issues if it lives up to its promise.

Rack #476631 19/12/13 09:45 AM
The actual mechanics of the game do not lend themselves to gamepad input. While many games DO work well, even better, with gamepad input (the majority these days) DOS is not one of those games. What you're suggesting is akin to requesting gamepad support for Baldur's Gate II, or Starcraft.

If you absolutely have to play the game one-handed... well, you can. You can play the game entirely with a mouse.

If you can't use a mouse comfortably, well, you probably shouldn't be gaming on a PC, but you could always get a nice trackball and just set it down in your lap or wherever. Or you could use a middleware program like Rack suggested.

Or perhaps go all keyboard if the remapping options are generous enough?

I got Comment 33,333 at the legendary Larian KS for D:OS
Rack #476647 19/12/13 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Rack
but If I were you I'd just get a joy2key profile working.

I just looked up the joy2key website, and the descriptions says:
"JoyToKey (or Joy2Key) enables PC game controllers to emulate a mouse and the keyboard input, so that windows applications and web games can be controlled with your favorite joysticks! Whenever joystick buttons and sticks are pressed, JoyToKey converts them into keyboard strokes and/or mouse movements so that the targeted application will work as if you are using a real keyboard and a mouse!"

I have no experience with this software, but it does look like a pretty neat solution to OP's problem. Would that work for you, Rune?

Last edited by Robrecht; 19/12/13 11:06 AM.

Weresheep of Original Sin: Facebook | homepage (WIP wink )
sheep is the plural of sheep oops
Rune #476649 19/12/13 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Rune
I don't have the link, but it was the one that David showed up late for, in a stupid costume.

I think you might be talking about the KS ending movie on twitch.

Last edited by Robrecht; 20/12/13 07:12 AM. Reason: typo

Weresheep of Original Sin: Facebook | homepage (WIP wink )
sheep is the plural of sheep oops
stranger
stranger
I played a bit with Pinnacle Game Profiler and, so far, it worked quite well.

Just a suggestion: if you aren't going to add native pad support, remove it completely. In inputconfig.xml there are references to ControllerButton1 (XPAD_A, XPAD_B...) and if I map the A button to left click, sometimes it doesn't work as it should.

So please, don't do the same as with Divinity 2 where the gamepad had to be connected after launching the game.

Last edited by A600; 20/12/13 12:13 AM.
A600 #476772 20/12/13 01:43 AM
journeyman
journeyman
Running around, talking and combat should be easy enough to do comfortably, but environmental interaction in D:OS with a gamepad sounds like a pain to me. *shrug*

@OP: Have you tried mouse pads with memory foam wrist rests? I've had phases with what I'd call severe wrist discomfort before but not once since switching to one of those.

Proud Probatanthrope

Tor.com: Boob Plate Armor Would Kill You (cf. "ball plate armor" - Just think about it.)
R
Rune Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Originally Posted by Robrecht
Originally Posted by Rune
I don't have the link, but it was the one that David showed up late for, in a stupid costume.

I think you might me talking about the KS ending movie on twitch.

That is definitely the one... with the first fifteen minutes cut out, and edited to show fewer camera angle switches. I recall in the original Twitch broadcast, the Camera didn't show the game when David finally showed up and started screaming.

I could make due with Xpadder or Joy to key, but it's not really the same.

I'd prefer to have a default controller scheme with left stick controlling character movement, right stick controlling "aim" or direction as it were, and an action button for initiating conversations and object interactions, hold it down to start the drag and drop such as with crates mechanic, etc. Just as an example.

Thanks for the polite replies so far.

And yes, twincast, they don't help me at all.

Rune #476845 20/12/13 03:47 PM
journeyman
journeyman
XPAdder is a good thing for games that don't have native controller support. The problem with D:OS is that you have to mouse click to move which forces you to use mouse... Can you move your character with arrows maybe?

Rune #479399 22/01/14 03:28 AM
B
stranger
stranger
B
Id love to see a controller friendly addition. Sometimes I play to win with the keyboard and mouse, other times I kick back and relax with the controller. So this game will most likely be the kick back and relax type. Enjoying the game with controller is encouraged. As editor goes, will keyboard and mouse is a must.

Support
Support

The editor is Windows only, but there will be Mac and Linux versions of the game. The Steam controller is supposedly effective even with mouse and keyboard heavy RTS games, so an RPG shouldn't be a problem (I'm assuming Steam will be releasing a separate controller).

As for native support, Larian did post a topic some time ago to gauge how much demand there was for controller support (Good isometric RPGs with controller support?). They didn't announce any conclusions; presumably if they did decide to add controller support it would be after release.

Raze #480846 31/01/14 10:10 PM
R
Rune Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Originally Posted by Raze

The editor is Windows only, but there will be Mac and Linux versions of the game. The Steam controller is supposedly effective even with mouse and keyboard heavy RTS games, so an RPG shouldn't be a problem (I'm assuming Steam will be releasing a separate controller).

As for native support, Larian did post a topic some time ago to gauge how much demand there was for controller support (Good isometric RPGs with controller support?). They didn't announce any conclusions; presumably if they did decide to add controller support it would be after release.

Ah, but this request thread thing was like, a year ago. A lot of us missed it since it was run back before the kickstarter!

I'd like to humbly recommend running this poll again among all kickstarter backers.

It may be prudent to at least find out how many of the people who have paid for the game up-front and are helping to test it want this feature considered more strongly.

Link Copied to Clipboard