Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
E
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
This is perhaps the wrong time to voice this issue, but there was something about seeing it in-game, on my character, while running through sand that really drove home how annoying it is to me that the female character is wearing needle-thin stiletto heels. The flames were fanned higher when I decided I would rather go barefoot and forego the armour bonus, only to discover that she is wearing stiletto sandals which can never be removed, underneath her armour.

My hopes that this will be changed are slim, but not non-existent, and regardless, I'd like to bring up the topic. Because just some response from the team on this would help. I don't want to sound too hostile, but there is a measure of frustration which is bound to leak through in this message.

In general, I am really fond of the game, enjoy the alpha by and large, and don't at all regret backing it. Much kudos to the team, by all means, and I would be even more appreciative if any of you could pipe in and make me understand why, why a ridiculously impractical and immersion-breaking modern-day fashion item is the default and (apparently) only option?

Yep, there's a bit of hostility leaking through now. My solemn promise, I'll be civil as a sheep (normal sheep, not that other, murdering kind) to anyone who offers civil response.

You are definitely not the only that has voiced this opinion. wink

Weresheep of Original Sin: Facebook | homepage (WIP wink )
sheep is the plural of sheep oops
Eyeh: Hehe! You have opened Pandora's Box, and this only days before X-Mas! How will this forum survive what you have unleashed upon this alpha-bliss of a world?

Seriously, though: I have nothing against women being portrayed in ways that our cultures today perceive as sexy or sassy or whatever. But putting high heels on Scarlett is perhaps a tad exaggerated on that account. Had it been me designing her, I'd have skipped the high heels. She can be suave and all, anyways. Not even a chainmail bikini is needed. wink

I'm just happy if she is true heroine material, foxy or not. smile

Last edited by Indira Weresheep; 19/12/13 03:16 PM.

I got Comment 33,333 at the legendary Larian KS for D:OS
veteran
veteran
I'm not a fan either, I think it looks silly, but I doubt it'll be changed.

E
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
Indira: I don't mind sexy or sassy, I am as much fan of breasts as the next man, and of buttocks perhaps moreso. It ain't proper feminism that insists all women must be completely nonsexual, as much as it isn't when we insist they must be constantly sexual. That being said, sexy clothes for when you're seducing, and fighting clothes for when you're fighting, yeah? Fair enough, there are various levels of sexy even in armour, but you know the kind I mean, where practicality is impacted beyond sensible (or even superior) suspension of disbelief.

Stabbey: Yah, I though the same, but then I considered it'd do us good to have a talk about it nonetheless. Seems to be pleasant exchange of opinions so far, and it helps me simmer down a bit and get back to enjoying all the many excellent aspects of the game. smile

stranger
stranger
I'm definitely a feminist, and in true feminist fashion, I urge the devs...choices for us! Choice, choice, choice. The stiletto heels are kinda badass, in a way, but they shouldn't be the only option, by far (nor will they be, probably...we're probably seeing very little of what's available). I definitely agree with the OP on the topic of realism, for sure.

apprentice
apprentice
On the character creation menu there are the 3 buttons for armour, could the boots one perhaps be related to the heels? Either way I am fine with it either way, but an option would be nice.

I think it should be removed. I don't think it sexualizes the character, but it does reinforce unnecessary gender stereotypes. What's more, I think Larian will remove it if enough people ask them to. Remember, when DOS was announced the original concept art/logo art for the female character looked a little different than how it does now. People complained, they changed it.

Changing shoes seems a much more minor thing.

journeyman
journeyman
I kind of doubt they want to redo all the animations, so I guess broader heels are the most we can hope for.

Proud Probatanthrope

Tor.com: Boob Plate Armor Would Kill You (cf. "ball plate armor" - Just think about it.)
old hand
old hand
Reminds me of someone I was chatting with at the office; they were wearing high heals; and I asked if it was painful to walk that way; they demonstrated a very graceful high heel kick smile

Originally Posted by Arsene Lupin
unnecessary gender stereotypes.

I don't think that phrase means what you think it means. Now if the game was based on two characters, one male melee and one barefoot and pregnant female "crafter" that the male gave all his combinables to in order to cook, upgrade armor and clean your shelter plain at the end of time house, that would probably fall under "unnecessary gender stereotypes."

Originally Posted by Arsene Lupin
Remember, when DOS was announced the original concept art/logo art for the female character looked a little different than how it does now. People complained, they changed it.

I only remember you complaining about that actually. It seems like anything female or female like is being a stereotype / over sexualized.

I suggest Larin gets rid of the female character to avoid offending anyone. But then again, some douche will probably complain about Larian forcing gay values on them.

I pledged and all I got was this lousy awesome game!
Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Originally Posted by Von_Rotten

I suggest Larin gets rid of the female character to avoid offending anyone. But then again, some douche will probably complain about Larian forcing gay values on them.

Quoted for posterity...

That being said. Logically it is offensive to my senses. You can be plenty sexy in full body armor, with boots even, as plenty of Anime has demonstrated over the years.

I'm not really into the whole chainmail bikini thing myself, because I think it just looks gaudy, and skanky. But I'm old fashioned like that.

Which reminds me of a great Dave Chapel bit about dressing like a hooker. Would you expect to run up to a police officer to report a crime, only to have them snap back "Hey! Just because I wear the uniform..."

Actually, he tells it better himself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uscmRI9ZrE

Last edited by Zach; 19/12/13 09:22 PM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
I'm a girl and I don't mind the high heels. I think it looks cool on Scarlet, even if I don't like wearing shoes with high heels. I'm against the "chainmail bikini", but I don't find the high heels offensive : it looks fine on her.
Maybe what could be done is allowing the player to choose if they want or not high heels.

veteran
veteran
The new patch adds three looks for armour for both genders: "chainmail bikini", "stylish", and heavily-armoured, so pick your look.

A
stranger
stranger
A
You're mean, it's "cloth bikini" !

veteran
veteran
I HOPE it won't changed.

Some people...

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
I support an option not to use heels

journeyman
journeyman
I think that there should be an option to allow people to choose whether or not the main characters should have high heels or not. I vote that Roderick gets a chance to walk a game in Scarlett's shoes!

Joking aside, I barely notice that Scarlett wears high heels in the game, it doesn't effect my enjoyment of the game at all.

I'm also known as Tovarah.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Stabbey
The new patch adds three looks for armour for both genders: "chainmail bikini", "stylish", and heavily-armoured, so pick your look.
Without stat effects, I fear? But still, that's a fine solution.

Why I even looked at the two post(er)s I wisely have on ignore because of this very subject however, escapes me. Must have been a bout of madness. They make me want to vomit.

Proud Probatanthrope

Tor.com: Boob Plate Armor Would Kill You (cf. "ball plate armor" - Just think about it.)
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
OP is right, get rid of it, or at least make it a choice. I've never agreed with the objectification of women in media - commercials, comics, games, etc. Stupid slut is not attractive. At least to any male with half a brain. You know what a female in armour should look like?

This....
[Linked Image]

Midget Soothsayer robs Bank! Small Medium at Large!
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard