Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
veteran
veteran
Still though, if you find a sheep corpse, there probably should be an option to tell Bertia without having to get a confession from the thief first.

V
stranger
stranger
V
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Still though, if you find a sheep corpse, there probably should be an option to tell Bertia without having to get a confession from the thief first.

That would make sense of course but the original post I quoted implied that there was no way to resolve that 'journal entry'. Plus its an alpha, I'm sure that there'll be more polishing and refining to go on these quests, especially given the feedback that Larian's receiving. What we're playing now is merely indicative of the shape of the final game, not an extract of it.

O
stranger
stranger
O
Originally Posted by VerySpethal
Originally Posted by Osmodius

Then you have nonsense like

"Bertia claims she lost a sheep".

Ok. So? Why is that a quest? Hell, I found a sheep, that was lost and mauled. I went to talk to her (even had the sheep carcasse with me) and there was no prompt for it? Why is that in my quest menu?

It's clearly a journal entry. Not a quest.

Similar to

"What's-her-name told you her brother Tom went to join the Fantastic Five".

You can actually track down the quest that Tom was sent on... plus you can also do more regarding Bertia and the sheep. So yeah... If you'd paid attention and didn't need your hand held so much then you might have less to complain about... Just my two cents.

I'm not saying that I want my hand held. You're not listening.

It makes no sense to have "Bertia says her sheep was stolen" as a quest. That's not a quest. It is a piece of information I've picked up on the way.

I'm quite sure that as I progress along that "quest" will eventually unfold, but until then it isn't a quest.

And on that point, why didn't the quest update when I found what was obviously her sheep's corpse, in the middle of a reasonably serioues murder investigation. I would have thought that questioning the person who's sheep ended up being a shoe-in for the corpse of a government official might be important. Nope. Nothing at all. But still the little "quest" line sitting there.

A simple "You've found Bertia's sheep, best hunt down who took it" instead of leaving me hanging, unable to talk to the person who it makes sense to talk to. That would turn it from a meaningless piece of trivia written in a quest log, into a quest.

veteran
veteran
You're not listening either. Picking up little pieces of information is one way for quests in this game to start.

You're right that the quest should update when you find the sheep corpse. That seems more like an omission of Alpha than by design.

O
stranger
stranger
O
You're not listening either. Picking up little pieces of information is one way for quests in this game to start.

You're right that the quest should update when you find the sheep corpse. That seems more like an omission of Alpha than by design.

I get that quests start from tidbits. I have no problem with that. I just don't like random pieces of information being called a quest. It seems the quest log is more a journal, and it just fills up with pieces of information. Not everything I hear needs to be labelled a quest.

I'd much rather have a separate journal and quest log. Quest logs holds actual quests, with information and such, for example the Esmeralda guilt thing, or the main quest. Things that take up more than 3 lines.

Then have a second screen, the Journal, that is for little things.

Guards on the Bridge:

• Ran into some guards on the bridge.
  • Killed them.

Bertia's Lost Sheep

• Bertia claimed her sheep was stolen.
  • Found a suspicious sheep corpse.
  • Confronted thief, then reported back to Bertia.

veteran
veteran
Except that it IS quest information. What don't you get about that?

O
stranger
stranger
O

... I don't get how "Bertia lost a sheep" is quest information. It isn't. It's a sentence saying "Bertia lost a sheep". It's not "Bertia needs help finding her sheep" it's not "Bertia lost a sheep and has asked for your help in finding out who stole it". It's not "Bertia lost a sheep and you found a sheep corpse".

"Bertia lost a sheep" is not a quest. It's not part of a quest. It's just "Bertia lost a sheep".

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kein
If you need an instructions regarding HOW you will the play rather than game mechanics - is it even worth to play the game? What kind of shallow experience will it be.

I'm sorry, what do you mean?

You have quests such as

"Aureus informed you of some legionnaires he sent to the church, but could not tell you anymore".

That's pretty obvious, without telling you how to play. Go find the church, find the legionnaires, find out what they learnt.

Then you have nonsense like

"Bertia claims she lost a sheep".

Ok. So? Why is that a quest? Hell, I found a sheep, that was lost and mauled. I went to talk to her (even had the sheep carcasse with me) and there was no prompt for it? Why is that in my quest menu?

It's clearly a journal entry. Not a quest.

Similar to

"What's-her-name told you her brother Tom went to join the Fantastic Five".

Cool story. Why is it a quest? It's just a journal note. (I spoke to the recruiter dude about Tom, and he told me where he went. Why didn't my quest update? Why didn't I get a dialogue option with what's-her-name telling her where her bro is?). It's not a quest. It's just a note.

As opposed to both the Jake's Killer quest, and the "Did Esmerelda do it?" quest. Both of which update as you find information, and give you an idea of what to do.

As for "being told how to play". Well yeah, it kind of is needed, given how restricting the gameplay is. (Not a complaint about the game, just a reality). If it were up to me, I'd have gotten the information out of Esmerelda on my own grounds, a lot quicker, but I don't have that option.

I'd have asked Bertia more about her sheep, I'd have grilled the recriuter about Tom, and informed what's-her-name. That the game doesn't let you do such simple things means it does need to do a little bit of pointing, to make up for how little you can interact with the world.

And I still feel that things that are just journal updates should stay in a journal, until you uncover enough information for them to be a quest.

That's EXACTLY what I was talking about when mentioned "indirect quest design". Some quests will be classic way, mostly main. But many sidequests will be quite unapparent, just a little tidbits of information that may mean nothing... or start a whole quest line as Swen one mentioned.

As for the dead sheep and quest not being updated - yes, that is a na error, keep in mind please that this is ALPHA - development -- build. I'm pretty sure they will fix many of such things later.

Rather than investigate a murder, I would much prefer to be killing monsters. smile

D2ED + More D2ED + A happy ending = A winner
V
stranger
stranger
V

... I don't get how "Bertia lost a sheep" is quest information. It isn't. It's a sentence saying "Bertia lost a sheep". It's not "Bertia needs help finding her sheep" it's not "Bertia lost a sheep and has asked for your help in finding out who stole it". It's not "Bertia lost a sheep and you found a sheep corpse".

"Bertia lost a sheep" is not a quest. It's not part of a quest. It's just "Bertia lost a sheep".

I'm pretty sure you're missing the point. This is a proper RPG where you get to choose what happens. You found out Bertia lost a sheep. You can do nothing about that. You can track down the sheep and sell its corpse. Or you can find the person who took it and get reparations for the sheep. You get to CHOOSE how the quest plays out. The game doesn't just go A>b>c>d>QUESTCOMPLETELEVELUP. How hard is that to understand?

Also, on your note about a "journal"; how is a journal full of quest entries not a journal? Have you noticed that when you get more information about something an orange note appears saying "Journal Updated!"

EDIT:
And on that point, why didn't the quest update when I found what was obviously her sheep's corpse, in the middle of a reasonably serioues murder investigation. I would have thought that questioning the person who's sheep ended up being a shoe-in for the corpse of a government official might be important. Nope. Nothing at all. But still the little "quest" line sitting there.

A simple "You've found Bertia's sheep, best hunt down who took it" instead of leaving me hanging, unable to talk to the person who it makes sense to talk to. That would turn it from a meaningless piece of trivia written in a quest log, into a quest.

This is what I mean by hand holding. Why didn't it occur to you to go find the person who took the sheep? Why did you NEED a big flashing arrow from larian to tell you that was the next logical step?

Last edited by VerySpethal; 07/02/14 09:48 AM.
V
stranger
stranger
V
Originally Posted by Paris
Rather than investigate a murder, I would much prefer to be killing monsters. smile

You'll find that there are multiple gates to the city, all of them with enemies nearby. You're not trapped. The point of this thread is that for those who do like actual questing while keeping their characters lawful there isn't any combat at all for a few hours, which really feels weird considering the city is meant to be under attack from at least 3 sources.

veteran
veteran

You'll find that there are multiple gates to the city, all of them with enemies nearby. You're not trapped. The point of this thread is that for those who do like actual questing while keeping their characters lawful there isn't any combat at all for a few hours, which really feels weird considering the city is meant to be under attack from at least 3 sources.

It's also a city that's been living with constant attacks for two years and is basically neutral on that point. The undead can't be destroyed, they're a threat to trade and travel, but no longer to the city itself. The orc attack is relatively new and big news, but the orcs are focused more on the beach than the actual city.

I have no idea what the third attack is. If you mean the cultists, they aren't exactly rampaging through the streets now, are they. They're hiding.

veteran
veteran

Rather than killing monsters I much prefer to investingate a murder, find Jobs for the sailors, couple the cats ... give me more quests in this peacefull City, so I can develop my characters for the fightings outside!!!!

I think its a good game! You get enougth possibilities for your likings. I also like the exploration points. If you find a hidden terrain you get exp! (I like this exploration bug! smile )

Last edited by Alix; 07/02/14 12:53 PM.

Alixdragon -==(UDIC)==-
Der einzige Mensch, der Dir im Weg steht, bist Du.
V
stranger
stranger
V

It's also a city that's been living with constant attacks for two years and is basically neutral on that point. The undead can't be destroyed, they're a threat to trade and travel, but no longer to the city itself. The orc attack is relatively new and big news, but the orcs are focused more on the beach than the actual city.

I have no idea what the third attack is. If you mean the cultists, they aren't exactly rampaging through the streets now, are they. They're hiding.

I did mean the cultists yes.
If they're snatching bodies out of the graveyards and raising zombies I think they constitute a threat. And just because the orcs are focused on the blood stone inside black cove doesn't mean they're not a threat to the city. They're firing ships in the harbour and landing on the other side of the beach.

All I'm saying is that it wouldn't be too hard or far-fetched for Larian to implement combat oppurtunities inside the city without being forced or making us play Chaotic characters.

Please don't think I am rubbishing the game. The game is wonderful. laugh

D2ED + More D2ED + A happy ending = A winner
Gyson Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I just wanted to pass on my thanks to the developers for adding in some combat opportunities during the murder investigation. I really think it'll help the pacing, and am looking forward to trying the changes out! smile

veteran
veteran
Whiners got what they wanted again.

Wow, never happened before with DOS!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Maybe Hardcore mode will fix this situation Kein!

Experience is a hard master but a good teacher-Proverb of RPG player (c)
Gyson Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

Who "whined"? It was feedback. And if the developers didn't feel there was something to it, they wouldn't have implemented the change. Now, if you feel the developers made a bad call, explain why. Don't just sit there making fun of everyone, as that's completely unhelpful.

Seriously, do you come to these forums with the intention of being helpful and aiding in making a better game, or is your entire goal to just troll and be generally unpleasant? Because the latter is the impression you're leaving me with.

addict
addict

Yeah, Larian should keep creating a frustrating and boring game just for you. Not all people are ready to spend 20 minutes for the stupid statues, which I haven't found yet.

Un chemin de 1000 lieues commence par un premier pas.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard