Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
S
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Re: Backstab - I do know that Backstab with larger weapons via the Assassin Talent was possible in earlier versions, so it should still be working unless a patch broke it. I've found that the proper positioning of Backstab can be a bit finicky - it's not always clear where you have to stand to be considered in position for a backstab.

I'm guessing you don't get a tool-tip change indicating you'll do a backstab then? Might be a nice GUI idea.

Originally Posted by Raze
Originally Posted by SteamUser
Suggestion: have a quest fork for finding Tom. e.g. "Proving the 5's incompetence".

You can talk to Tom's sister in the town hall and get a quest to find him.

Yes, I'm aware you can get that quest - however, learning from >5 guy outside the tavern< that he sent Tom off to the cave doesn't update it - nor does finding Tom seemingly finish the quest (??). Edit - is Tom already dead? Is he one of the injured ones? The quest is reported as finished, but I don't think (?) there's an option to tell the poor woman about it to bring it to a narrative conclusion. i.e. It simply ends in the cavern, not in the Library where you'd assume it would. [My save isn't at the point to test this atm, won't have time before next patch to rush it]

Suggestion - might be an idea to have an interim Journal update to this quest on interrogating >5 guy outside the tavern< whether or not you decide to join the 5. i.e. flesh the quest available a little. e.g. "Journal Entry: We have learnt that Tom has gone off on some fool's errand at the behest of the '(in)famous five', we should investigate further..."

Last edited by SteamUser; 12/02/14 10:08 PM.
veteran
veteran
Re: Backstab - I do know that Backstab with larger weapons via the Assassin Talent was possible in earlier versions, so it should still be working unless a patch broke it. I've found that the proper positioning of Backstab can be a bit finicky - it's not always clear where you have to stand to be considered in position for a backstab.

I'm guessing you don't get a tool-tip change indicating you'll do a backstab then? Might be a nice GUI idea.

Actually, my idea was to have some kind of chevron in the circle under the enemy, indicating which direction enemies were facing. The only problem with a backstab tooltip is that you need to be in backstab position to see it, and if you aren't, you need to spend another AP to move into the right position.

S
S

Actually, my idea was to have some kind of chevron in the circle under the enemy, indicating which direction enemies were facing. The only problem with a backstab tooltip is that you need to be in backstab position to see it, and if you aren't, you need to spend another AP to move into the right position.

I've not looked into the underlying mechanics of "flat-footed", "flanked" and so forth. I suggest that without being in stealth, you shouldn't be able to backstab an opponent unless they've another toe-to-toe opponent (aka, why Dark Souls backstab is so broken).

Without knowing the exact bonuses the close combat effects give, it's hard to see if the mechanics are working correctly (i.e. perks are there to prevent being flanked etc).

veteran
veteran

I've not looked into the underlying mechanics of "flat-footed", "flanked" and so forth. I suggest that without being in stealth, you shouldn't be able to backstab an opponent unless they've another toe-to-toe opponent (aka, why Dark Souls backstab is so broken).

I am not sure how much you've played around with Stealth. That's one of the things I have looked at in v114.

Right now, Stealth is difficult to use in combat. Enemies sight range is reduced by only about 5 meters with 5 points in Stealth, compared to someone who has 0 points into Stealth. That's not much. If you enter a 'lit' area, you're almost certainly going to get seen, and once you're seen in combat, there's currently no feasible way to try sneaking again.

Plus, while in Stealth, your movement is greatly reduced. Getting into a blind spot is mainly done by separating the party, and having the party engage the enemy while the rogue goes all the way around the other side. It can take a lot to AP to get near a target while sneaking - more than you'd think, because since the enemy is facing your party, it'll move towards them and away from you, meaning you have to move farther. We're talking 2-3 turns just moving in Sneak mode to get into position.

You can get away with many backstab attacks while sneaking, but there is a chance for the enemy to notice that it's getting stabbed in the back, and turn around, at which point stealth is out the window. Once sneak is broken, it can't be regained.

A rogue's strength is high mobility - the Speed attribute. While that does improve how far a Rogue can move in Sneak mode, it doesn't help enough to make moving only in Sneak move fun. If a Rogue could only perform backstabs while in Sneak mode, I feel that it would render the class useless, because Sneak mode is not that useful to use for combat.

A backstab with a dagger is not such an overpowered thing that it needs to be nerfed.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Some have probably already mentioned these bugs but i won't read trough all posts. So i just want to be sure they are noticed.

- I get "explorer experience" ( don't remember the actual name) from places more than once, if i come back later.

- While walking i can't sheath my weapon, i need to be absolutly still to do it.

- I havn't been able to repeat this, but once when i teleported my knocked down ally, he remaned knockdown and couln't do anything more than lay.

- The minimap in the cave of "arhus failed experiment" is just monocolored.

- And thing about the chiken in the messhall is buged.

Since DD1 ^^
stranger
stranger
Bugs, that I see in the game, at the very beginning:
1. hair female character visible through the helmet texture (Fortifying bonnet)
2. inventory items do not fall into the categories (switching categories not working)

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard