Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Dracolich #480215 26/01/14 10:27 AM
O
stranger
stranger
O
I would also like to see dual wielding put into the game, mainly because I prefer playing rogue style characters, but I am unsure as to how it would work with the gameplay style they have at the moment.

Each weapon costs a certain amount of AP to use, so if you have 9 AP and use a sword and a shield and the sword costs 3 AP to use, then if you don't move you can attack 3 times. If you have 2 swords equipped, then you would still only be able to attack 3 times.

I suppose they could add something like a dual-wielding skill that reduces the amount of AP weapons cost to use if you have 2 equipped...

Ozric #480232 26/01/14 01:03 PM
veteran
veteran
Dual-wielding is hard because it adds another style to balance. It has to be given something to make it not clearly superior to single-handed (or worse, single-handed with shield, which has two different abilities you need to spend points on).

The AP system can help with this, I suppose. Simply add the AP costs of the weapons together and you can attack with each weapon, but each attack costs much more, which means that on any given turn, you can move, or you an attack, but not both (or you can skip a turn to save the AP so you can do both next turn).

Daggers, though, might be a bit powerful when dual-wielded.

I bought a Push Dagger requiring Level 5, and it worked very well indeed, even on the undead. The low AP cost plus high critical chance plus backstabbing works well. One fun strategy is to hold the rogue back for a turn or two to max out their AP, then have some teleport them behind enemy lines. The rogue might die, but can take out two or three enemies. I did 220 damage in one turn in 12 attacks, and I missed once, and 3 others were for normal damage not backstabs.

Since a dagger costs 2 AP to use, two would cost 4, but since the dagger animation plays twice, you still get the same number of attacks, dual wielding or no.

Stabbey #480251 26/01/14 02:48 PM
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Another thing to consider is bonuses on weapons such as +strength, etc.
Adding the AP together would make it equal to single-handed, but it would still be superior to dual wield for the extra item's bonuses.

dakkai #480257 26/01/14 03:30 PM
O
stranger
stranger
O
You're all talking as though this is a new thing.

Dual wielding has always had much better attack bonuses than sword and shield, but you sacrifice the extra defense that the shield gives you. So you either dual-wield and kill them before they kill you or use a shield and wear them down.

Ozric #480338 27/01/14 10:19 AM
E
Eli Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
E
Originally Posted by Ozric
You're all talking as though this is a new thing.

Dual wielding has always had much better attack bonuses than sword and shield, but you sacrifice the extra defense that the shield gives you. So you either dual-wield and kill them before they kill you or use a shield and wear them down.

Yeah, it should not be harder to balance than any other combat style.

I'm in agreement with Dracolich that high Dexterity should be required for optimal dual wielding.
Also, dual wielding should make you attack faster. So you can attack once with each weapon at the average AP cost of the two weapons (or a bit higher).
You sacrifice the defensive bonus of shields and raw damage of two-handed weapons for faster attacks.

Eli #480349 27/01/14 01:01 PM
old hand
old hand
Bit surprise there is no dual wielding; as DD had it; the trade off between using a shield and using a second weapon was interesting though if I remember correctly you were mostly better off with a shield. I'm not sure I buy the balance issue given how it was done in DD but quite frankly in my view support dual wielding is a very minor thing relative to the big picture.

meme #480350 27/01/14 01:07 PM
veteran
veteran
I'm pretty sure there was no dual wielding in Divine Divinity or Beyond Divinity. You're thinkingo f Divinity 2, maybe?

Stabbey #480366 27/01/14 04:00 PM
old hand
old hand
No definitely not thinking of divinity 2; I might be mistaken about DD but I thought I could wield two weapons - though it is possible I am thinking of the skill that gave shields damage. Been a while so maybe I am confused. Hum. To be honest I don't remember what DKS had because I mostly played a mage; though I've been meaning to replay it with a warrior type. I tend to favor mages/clearic in my rpg games - though scout/thief was a huge amount of fun in Dragon age but I guess this isn't quite related.
-

Dracolich #481587 06/02/14 08:26 PM
N
stranger
stranger
N
This gameplay video shows an enemy NPC "pseudo-clone" of the Scarlet character, using dual daggers on a player:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8ZvfIlMrqI;t=19m30s

So, dual-wielding animations and systems are obviously already implemented. Let's hope Larian doesn't find a reason to not make this available to the PCs.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Double blow this NPC ironed perfectly smile I really hope that our heroes learn to use two weapons in the full game.
Please give developers information about how well worth waiting for this ability in the game?
This is my favorite style of passing, I like many get pleasure with each new level of quality and increasingly deadly swords in both hands.

Muslim #481643 07/02/14 01:57 PM
apprentice
apprentice
You don't HAVE the defensive bonus of a shield to start with! And I don't think the shield defense bonus can be equaled to having twice the damage output (which many seem to be suggesting). The numbers can be tweaked here and there but I would argue that Single Handed Spec should give shield proficiency right of the bat, leaving space for a new skill - Dual Wield which has no synergy with Single Handed Spec, and might require dexterity or something. Thus you have the pure damage dealer style of 2H, somewhat defensive (small parry chance?) Dual Wield, and the all out tank 1H/Shield skill. Thus you don't have to be splittin' up your points, while also bringing tank builds more in line with other builds Ability Point wise.

E
Eli Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
E
Originally Posted by nonsentient
This gameplay video shows an enemy NPC "pseudo-clone" of the Scarlet character, using dual daggers on a player:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8ZvfIlMrqI;t=19m30s

So, dual-wielding animations and systems are obviously already implemented. Let's hope Larian doesn't find a reason to not make this available to the PCs.

Nice find! smile

Eli #485129 03/04/14 09:29 PM
E
Eli Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
E
Is dual wielding in the beta?

Eli #485133 03/04/14 09:37 PM
veteran
veteran
Nope, and it's not coming in the base game either. Any reports of apparent dual-wielding on the "Mysterious Stranger" were erroneous or graphical glitches.

Eli #485188 04/04/14 07:57 AM
stranger
stranger
You're already attacking with a dagger twice each action. Would it be a possibility to assign daggers as 2h weapon (preventing you to use a dagger + shield) and whenever you equip a knife/dagger your character holds two of them (same weapon) and attacks once with each of them.

That solution shouldn't break the game balance, should it? hehe

Eli #485231 04/04/14 11:04 AM
veteran
veteran
I believe that may fall under the "no additional features" catch.

Stabbey #485278 04/04/14 01:44 PM
stranger
stranger
Yeah, sadly I think so, too. smile

Stabbey #486357 04/04/14 05:53 PM
E
Eli Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
E
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Nope, and it's not coming in the base game either. Any reports of apparent dual-wielding on the "Mysterious Stranger" were erroneous or graphical glitches.

That's certainly a peculiar and outstanding bug... that is able to add dual wielding animations. thankyou I think game studios should hire this bug to reduce high animation costs.
Or maybe we're all hallucinating and the character in the youtube video is not attacking with both arms.

Last edited by Eli; 04/04/14 05:55 PM.
Eli #487487 05/04/14 10:14 PM
R
stranger
stranger
R
I was about to reply with, "Dual-wielding doesn't seem like something that a lot of melee fighters would realistically use." In a game with orcs, talking animals, and magic-users. I should probably get some fresh air.

Eli #489368 14/04/14 12:46 PM
E
Eli Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
E
Only those who are exceptionally coordinated would use it. smile

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard