Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#487550 06/04/14 07:49 AM
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
I've played all of RPG's in my life but this game Im so lost. I have no clue where to go have the time cuz quests don't show on map and you walk so slow if I went wrong way takes foever to go back. I'm level 3 and have no clue where to go everything kicks my ass I have party of 4 and we get wiped every where I go mobs are lv3 or lv5 and theres like 6-10 of them!
If im ahead of party and mobs attack I keep walking right in to them and get killed or I go to attack and icon doesn't show up and I just move pass the mob and lose turn points.
I cant find anyone to buy or trade with I don't know how to make spells or potions. Cant find hammer to fix weapons or any clue how to craft.
Everything I touch either sets me on fire or posions me. I have no clue what these stones do that warp me places.
I cant find anyone that sell weapons or armor or potions.

I started over 5 times cuz game doesn't auto save ever.I give up!

R
RtM Offline
R
hahaha Not sure if this is real or not but it made me laugh. Thanks.

It is a tricky game however. That's half the fun though, IMO.

Support
Support

Esmeralda sells weapons (shop north of the market, east of the King Crab inn). The market can be found after you take the stairs up and north from the west side of the harbour.
After you get to Cyseal the easiest opponents are in the tunnel under the city
the graveyard entrance is easiest to get to, if you have a shovel, but save first.

The open gate west of the inn is the safest way to leave the city.

You can right click on a teleporter stone to teleport to the character with the other one. If you separate the group (left click a portrait and drag it to the right to break the chain), one character can sneak past some opponents or around a dangerous surface, and then the others can teleport to that character. Alternately, one character can go shop, and then teleport back rather than walk.

You can quicksave (F5; F8 is quickload) or make manual saves periodically.

L
stranger
stranger
L
First, create archer and wizard. Archers got op skill that fires like 20 arrows in a cone, wizards can use fire spells to ~nuke enemies/heal allies/debuff(need witchcraft)/buff/summon/whatever~. Second, for both heroes pick Bigger and better and All skilled up talents, you'll get 1 attribute and 2 skill points for that. Next time you get a talent, pick Comeback kid, nice lifesaver. Third, complete a tutorial, it's under development, but it helps. Fourth, hire party members. Jahar in the library (support mage with nukes) and Madora (2h weapon tank with rush, round attack and knockdown) in the Crab Inn. West Cyseal is ideal (rhymes) for leveling (u can make it at lvl 2 with 4 party members), then go to the north gate, unchain your archer, hit a zombie and run to the gate. Guards will help you kill them at lvl 3, you'll get xp. At lvl 4, go to the lighthouse. then to the south (Statues). You'll be fine, level up Way of the warrior and armor spec, Madora can tank well.

stranger
stranger
No it isn't. Finally after a long time we get an RPG that doesn't hold your hand every step you take and people are whining before it's even out.

Last edited by Alphamonkee; 06/04/14 11:22 AM.
C
apprentice
apprentice
C
Most of the criticism by the OP is exactly why I think this is shaping up to be one of the best RPG's in recent memory.

I would agree with him on one point though, sometimes in combat it is easy to move too far, however, the ranges and movement are something you should be able to get used to relatively easily.

As for why there is no clear indication where to go, that would be because each quest has about a dozen different ways to solve it. Also, it is not like there is absolutely no markers, however, they only appear if you are explicitly told to go some place and disappear if you decide to do something else instead. At least this is how it was in the alpha, haven't had a chance to play the beta yet.

Read your journal and think for yourself is the best advice that can be given, also map the world with custom map markers if you need it.

Last edited by Crise; 06/04/14 12:05 PM.
old hand
old hand
Have to agree. Thank god (Larian) that there are no "!" and "?" indicators on the NPCs. All thanks that there are no map markers.

The game is all about exploration, and that's fantastic! This kind of freedom shouldn't be downgraded to a more mainstreamized format, especially not, when features like NPC schedules / proper world simulation are kicked.

But I do agree that the combat still needs some tweaking. But I highly suggest a difficulty slider to please all kind of gamer groups.

journeyman
journeyman
[Linked Image]

addict
addict
Ah Swen was right, people are not used to struggle anymore in any game, they want a highlight path to the goal...
I don't really know if it is a troll or not, but if not, try to play a real RPG (with dices and books) with a sadistic GM ^^

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
A
stranger
stranger
A
Aside from the combat bugs that the OP has, everything else he said was a very subjective thing when it comes to enjoyment. This game is looking far better to me now that the combat is actually somewhat difficult, though admittedly there are some spells that can just chop enemy mobs in an instant still. Coming off of playing games like Morrowind, Planescape: Torment, and Baldur's Gate II played with permanent character deaths, this is not that difficult. Though I have to wonder just what RPGs has the OP played in all his life that he has never encountered what I would consider some of the greatest RPGs that I've ever had the joy of playing.

Last edited by Amantalado; 06/04/14 03:01 PM.
veteran
veteran
Well, it rather depends.
If went east first, lvl 6 skels. Lower west, lvl 6 orcs. Only 3rd time was the charm with easy lvl 2 and 3 (who I crushed) enemies in the upper west.
While the lack of markers, ! and ? is refreshing (yay for that! Down with questmarkers!) the crafting and enchantment system still eludes me. I'm playing to find out, but I assume there are enough players not that patient.

There's no harm retreating and trying another path if you fail. That's something really refreshing not found in most modern games...

I love not being told what to do. I like making my own solution and I like my ability to enact my solution on my terms.

I also don't think the combat is very difficult, so we need difficulty options for those who can't seem to figure out how to do it on the current difficulty and for those getting bored by lack of challenge sometimes.

Game is not "to" hard. Most other games are too easy and hardly qualify as games, more like slightly-interactive films.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by shockwave972
I've played all of RPG's in my life but this game Im so lost. I have no clue where to go have the time cuz quests don't show on map and you walk so slow if I went wrong way takes foever to go back. I'm level 3 and have no clue where to go everything kicks my ass I have party of 4 and we get wiped every where I go mobs are lv3 or lv5 and theres like 6-10 of them!
If im ahead of party and mobs attack I keep walking right in to them and get killed or I go to attack and icon doesn't show up and I just move pass the mob and lose turn points.
I cant find anyone to buy or trade with I don't know how to make spells or potions. Cant find hammer to fix weapons or any clue how to craft.
Everything I touch either sets me on fire or posions me. I have no clue what these stones do that warp me places.
I cant find anyone that sell weapons or armor or potions.

I started over 5 times cuz game doesn't auto save ever.I give up!

Are you kidding this is the best game ever for the struggle. You think that's hard try taking on the flaming Level 7 skeletons and their idol at level 5. :p

Please Larian DO NOT CHANGE A THING! (in terms of difficulty)

Last edited by bigironvault; 06/04/14 06:03 PM.
F
stranger
stranger
F
I think it is a lack of tutorial that makes the game seem so difficult.
I spent almost an hour in Shelter because I had no idea how to get back. I reloaded and reloaded and went trough all my inventory, because I was given a thing to transport me back but couldn't find it. And it was a small button on the edge of the screen, blending with the level colors, not even highlighted or whatsoever =/

And I also sold a lot of things for 0 gold =(
And my sword has 4 durability left and I can't find anyone to repair it =( All the merchants in Cyseal can't do that. Or am I supposed to have lvl 5 repair when my characters are only 6?
I like the game but really hope for expanded tutorial. At the momemt it is all about intuitive learning and I feel lost and stupid wondering around because I have no idea how to proceed on the main quest but there is still some exploration left for me.
I don't feel like "I'm making my own solution and enacting my solution on my terms" which is quite sad right now. Hope I get better.

The repairing issue isn't a function of you being lost and stupid, don't worry. I've posted in another thread about repairing in general being a not-so-good system, at least as-is.

If you've got mechanical questions in general, I can probably answer them. Or Stabbey or Gyson if they're around. They're usually pretty knowledgeable/insightful too.

stranger
stranger
To play devil's advocate, if the game is all about exploration, then D:OS doesn't reward said exploration very well in its current state. It doesn't take much wandering in any given direction outside of town before you run into mobs that quickly one-shot you. Tweaking the game in such a way as to where the player can easily see if mobs are way more powerful than they are - and avoid them before combat kicks in - would be a really good addition.

Also, I second (or third, or whatever) putting in a difficulty slider. smile

Last edited by Abbie; 07/04/14 11:44 PM. Reason: clarity
veteran
veteran
You already see foes way before they do you, and have level indicators.

If that somehow STILL fails, there's flee.

How much easier does it need to be/get???

EDIT:
(By that I mean easy to avoid enemies you do not wish to fight. Just figured I needed to make that a bit clearer)

Last edited by Hassat Hunter; 08/04/14 12:17 AM.
R
stranger
stranger
R
It's hard, and frustrating at times. And the more I fight, the better I get. It's been a while since I played a game where fighting becomes easier only when I learn (painfully) how to make it so. None of this "Oh, I leveled up automatically and I am now much more powerful and can update my skill tree which is actually just a straight line" nonsense.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter
You already see foes way before they do you, and have level indicators.

To be fair, there are some surprise ambush encounters. Also, the mail/plate helmets have negative sight modifiers on them which reduce how far the characters wearing them can see (and, at least with me, those generally are the characters up front leading the group around). Blind leading the blind and all that. smile

E
stranger
stranger
E
I'm finding the game pretty easy. In the beggining it's a bit hard, but after you get the hang of it and go up a few levels, it becomes really easy. At least with my two "lone wolf" characters i'm not having any problems. Actually i think the developers still need to do some balancing in the game, because there are some battles that are a little too easy in my opinion, but they're on the right way. I wouldn't mind if it continues this way.

Last edited by EddyCosta32; 08/04/14 03:12 AM.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard