Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by SteamUser

Yeah, I think we're done here. You've claimed that the rest of Skyrim's monsters don't use the same scaling system as dragons [FALSE] and that the rest of Skyrim scaled a lot better due to this [FALSE] and that issues with Dragons were unique to dragons [FALSE] and that this was because their level scaling was different [FALSE].

I stopped reading here. If there was some gem of insight hidden away in the rest of your post (most of which seem to be you copy/pasting someone else's words), you've lost your opportunity to present it - because I'm not going to waste more time trying to explain that you're misinterpreting the system. Especially when you acknowledged from the start that you're only skimming my responses.

You're going to believe what you're determined to believe. That you don't understand really doesn't make any difference to me, as your opinion on the topic isn't going to change whether reality dawns on you or not. That's not even touching on the point that arguing over how Skyrim did it is pointless to begin with - as nobody (including myself) in this thread appears to be a fan of how Skyrim did it, and the last thing we want is for Divinity : OS to follow Skyrim's model. There are better ways to implement level scaling.

This entire dialogue between you and I can be summed up as such: Me implying that I didn't care for Skyrim's version of level scaling because it often felt nonexistent. You attacking/trolling me on a personal level and then insisting that I don't understand how Skyrim's level scaling worked (as if that is somehow magically going to make me like the way Skyrim did things instead). Us then getting into the equivalent of an "am not, are too" squabble for the next several pages. My time is just too valuable to me to continue going in wasted circles with you.

Between that and your constant straw man (and personal) attacks, it's pointless for me to even continue reading your posts when other participants in the thread are bringing up more legitimate questions and responses (yet I keep wasting my time with yours - the one mistake I can actually admit to).

Neither of you is ever going to even slightly budge, take each other seriously, or really bother coming to any sort of conclusion. Why do you keep slapfighting each other?

My opinion on level scaling done pretty well: Most loot treadmill ARPG's, like Diablo, Sacred 2, and Torchlight. Dragon Age as well I believe used level scaling, since I recall all areas being visitable in any order barring the very end.

My opinion on level scaling done somewhat poorly but still very enjoyable: TES series.

Also, I'd really like to point out, because apparently this isn't obvious:

SOME GAMERS HAVE DIFFERING TASTES WITH HOW CONTENT SHOULD BE HANDLED. I can't believe I need to say that. I like level scaling. I like not having to worry about missing out on any content or walking in and getting one-shot. That's fun to me. It might not be fun to you. So be it.

They both have merit to different types of tastes, so let's just stop beating this topic to death with this nonsense.

M
addict
addict
M
When each person in an argument wants to have the last word... it ain't ever going to end. We might as well rename this the "Gyson vs. SteamUser Eternal Deathmatch" thread, shove it in a Skyrim forum somewhere, and move on. Moderators, a little help here?

Mikus #488754 10/04/14 08:51 PM
R
RtM Offline
R
I disagree. You are wrong and I am better than you. I await your reply. horsey

Originally Posted by Mikus
When each person in an argument wants to have the last word... it ain't ever going to end. We might as well rename this the "Gyson vs. SteamUser Eternal Deathmatch" thread, shove it in a Skyrim forum somewhere, and move on. Moderators, a little help here?

M
addict
addict
M
RtM, you are clearly woefully incapable of comprehending the glorious scope of my magnificence. I shall disdainfully attack you with passive-aggressive - and perhaps aggressive-aggressive - insults and insinuations, as soon as the nausea arising from even e-lectronic communication with such underdeveloped pond scum passes.

Aaaaaand back to you. wink

R
RtM Offline
R
ouch

Poopy face.

M
addict
addict
M
Ahhhh, you're no fun. You must be new here. More insults!

R
RtM Offline
R
Fine! I was busy but I guess I will take some time out of my obviously higher quality and more active life to entertain you while you sit alone at home on your PC on singles.com hoping to find "someone who likes to laugh and doesn't mind having friends over for a night of MTG." My opinions clearly carry more weight as my lack of posts on here show that I have chosen to engage in conversations outside that advance the human race in ways that hope to counter the negative impact you and your like bring upon us. I don't quite understand it yet but your words carry your predictable 3 days un-showered stench. Please refrain from stinking up our threads.

I was so hoping singles.com would work for finding MtG players! Where do I go now?! /blubbering

Mikus #488763 10/04/14 09:17 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Ahhhh, you're no fun. You must be new here. More insults!

Insults are bad. They are against the forum rules :hihi:

Last edited by Elwyn; 10/04/14 09:18 PM.
M
addict
addict
M
YES!!! That was inspiring.

I say to you today, my friends, even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the Worldwide Interwebs. I have a dream that one day this nerdrage will rise up, live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all internet forums will devolve into a steaming heap of childish insults."

Can I get an amen?

R
RtM Offline
R
cheer amen! hallelujah!! welcome

Mikus #488766 10/04/14 09:32 PM
A
stranger
stranger
A

Can I get an amen?

No, but you can get an Aman... talado! Huehuehue... get it? It-its like the first part of my name... and its close to amen, and uh... nevermind I'll just go over there.

On a side note, I've heard talk of a few good games that used a good implementation scaled leveling in this thread, and I would really love to know which ones those are, as it presents me the potential of enjoying a game to infinitum if such is the case.

I must admit my experience with scaled leveling in games has been vastly disappointing thus far, so something that can renew my interest in games with such systems would be very much a welcome distraction from the drivel that I've had to slog through thus far.

Last edited by Amantalado; 10/04/14 09:33 PM.
R
RtM Offline
R
"RtM Online
apprentice"

sad I'm so proud

Last edited by RtM; 10/04/14 09:39 PM.
veteran
veteran
And here I saw this thread had 18 new posts for me... and wondered if I got my list of 6+ games with good level scaling.

I r dissapointed, son...

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter
And here I saw this thread had 18 new posts for me... and wondered if I got my list of 6+ games with good level scaling.

I r dissapointed, son...

You're disappointed? I just read through a pseudo argument between Mikus and RTM, and at no point did either of them remember to spam the thread with irrelevant copy/pasted charts, formulas, wiki entries, and chicken soup recipes. How do you think I feel? rolleyes

Gyson #488783 10/04/14 10:51 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Gyson
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter

I r dissapointed, son...

You're disappointed? I just read through a pseudo argument between Mikus and RTM, and at no point did either of them remember to spam the thread with irrelevant copy/pasted charts, formulas, wiki entries, and chicken soup recipes. How do you think I feel? rolleyes

And...

/thread

Gyson #488784 10/04/14 10:53 PM
M
addict
addict
M

Right, my bad! Here, I just heard about something I think everyone interested in classic turn-based RPGs will like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR4UaLLaFeM

S
S
Wow.

/circlejerk beats sourced information these days. I hope Larian doesn't think their code is "irrelevant" or that their balancing formula are "just shitty math".

I'll make it simple for the peanut gallery:

Permanent world without active <spawners> that are range triggered = you can't have level scaling[1]. Hint: this is D:OS code atm.

Even if you could, given the tightness of level ranges [20 or 30 potential capped level], making level scaled <spawners> for D:OS would be fairly useless, and not worth the effort, given all players will reach them within 2-3 levels variance.

Level scaling =/= Character Level = Monster Level.

Now, if you don't understand that, then that means you've never coded a game. Luckily, I have.

Gyson, bless his cotton socks, obviously has... not.
Playing Diablo does not make a game coder of you.
But you all love him, and will mock the person who knows better, so enjoy! smile

p.s.

Character Level = Monster Level == level scaling. THAT IS COMEDY GOLD. ((MMO devs lololololing atm))

[1] With 20 years experience, I'm trying to think of a RPG that had a) permanent world and b) active range <spawners> that scaled to level. I'm drawing a blank, perhaps the /circlejerk could enlighten me to one that does / did / will do?

...because I'm not going to waste more time trying to explain that you're misinterpreting the system.

You're going to believe what you're determined to believe.

Math & knowing the code & knowing the editor = misinterpreting the system.

Vrs

Vague quoting of game fluff articles about "how balanced Skyrim's scaling system is now post-patch". Paid for by Bethesda PR -.-

Fuck me Americans are deluded.

Gyson, the only chance at RPG development you ever had passed when Kingdoms of Amalur publisher Studio 38 went bust. And he was a baseball star, you know. Muppet.

Last edited by SteamUser; 10/04/14 11:17 PM.
veteran
veteran
It's okay to admit you can't actually think up 6 titles with good level scaling.
After all; I can't do so either...

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard