Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#488759 10/04/14 09:12 PM
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Cyseal is a lovely place to walk around in, but retreading the same old ground can get tiring. I like the new Rift Travel menu, that's great... but the problem is that if you head to town to restock or get new gear and skills, returning to where you were can still involve left clicking and waiting for a few minutes as you move through cleared areas to get back. We need more waypoints.

There are 7 waypoints in the Beta:

• 1. The Beach where you start.
  • 2. Cyseal Harbour
  • 3. Cyseal's North Gate
  • 4. Cyseal "northwest" (between the tunnel and the watcher statues)
  • 5. Watcher Statues
  • 6. Cyseal "southeast" (below the villa on the hill - new in the beta)
  • 7. Black Cove entrance

[Linked Image]

Generally speaking, these are well spaced out and useful. But there are not enough Waypoints. The west side of Cyseal, stretching from the burial mounds to the lighthouse is almost a quarter of the map, and there isn't a single waypoint there. I propose adding a "Cyseal West" waypoint at approximately the spot marked 8.

I also think a waypoint should be added at either of the spots marked 9 or 10 (but not both). If there's a waypoint near the start of Luculla forest, then 9 won't really be needed. Otherwise, that does serve nicely for access to both Luculla and the Church (although the 10 spot closer to the church isn't a bad placement either in my view).

I'm not a big fan of the waypoint at 6. It is completely out of the way and is convenient to pretty much nowhere (except the shack at the top of the hill). Maybe add another one closer to the Villa (at #11), but I admit I can't see a great place for a Villa waypoint, except ironically, the dead end just above #6. Finding that dead end up there was the only reason why I saw #6 in the first place, funny enough.

Maybe move the #6 waypoint slightly to the southwest, along the road so it can serve both the villa and shack at the hill

Thoughts?

Last edited by Stabbey; 10/04/14 10:30 PM. Reason: villa
M
addict
addict
M
Yep, I had similar thoughts. I also thought the waypoint names were pretty strange for some - I haven't played in a little while, but I think the one that's #4 on the map in the OP is named something like "Cyseal East," and there are a couple others with names that seem similarly out of place.

But yeah, a couple more waypoints in the areas you pointed out would be convenient, IMO.

Last edited by Mikus; 10/04/14 10:13 PM.
veteran
veteran
Heh, you beat me... when I saw the Watcher Statue waypoint I made a screenshot too... figuring 'what is wrong with this picture/placement'

I agree West needs one. I also agree 6 is placed on a completely useless spot.

So yeah, good suggestions all around!

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
The lack of waypoints is especially annoying in co-op, because of the bug where both companions belong to the Host until the host dismisses one. To get them back you have to travel to the homestead and re-recruit them. If you had saved your game nowhere near a waypoint, that's a lot of walking back you need to do.

veteran
veteran
Changing something to accomadate a bug, rather than fix the bug is always a bad and slippery slope to take.

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter
Changing something to accomadate a bug, rather than fix the bug is always a bad and slippery slope to take.

Of course the bug should be fixed, duh.

But even without the bug, there should be more waypoints.

veteran
veteran
Agreed. The West seriously lacks one, and I don't quite see why the northwest top has 2 so close to each other...

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
The #6 Waypoint ("Cyseal Beach East" even though it's not on a beach) is located at (479, 267)

Possible spots to shift the #6 Waypoint

(440, 271) - Just up the road a short jog from the current position. Not a big shift, but it at least puts it closer to the Villa slightly.

(435, 227) - Slightly southwest of the above location, this puts it at the foot of the stairs leading up to the trap house. It's about halfway between the undertakers hut and the poison field at the foot of the Villa stairs, and pretty close to the east gate of Cyseal.

I only see one possible spot for hypothetical waypoint 11 (Villa)

(499, 167) This has a spot that's big enough to fit, but there's a problem:

the treasure chest buried there.

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
The reason I want those changes to waypoints is to improve the flow and pacing of the game. There are only so many combat encounters you can have before you want to take a break and return to town to resupply, identify/repair, andsell things, and get new skills, or go to the homestead and store things. If there are more waypoints, it improves the flow of the game, because it lets players get into a patt

When you have to walk all the way back both ways, it takes several minutes where you’re just waiting to arrive, which is boring. Waypoints break the game into smaller-feeling chunks, and lets players recharge between combat encounters, improving the pacing of the game.

The Lighthouse and Church are in opposite corners of the map. Cyseal North Gate (the center of the map) should not be the closest waypoint to both of them.

addict
addict
Please edit your posts, that's what I was told anyways, although I don't really really care...

Anyways. Old school. No waypoints. Hard way. THAT is the fun. Just like common knowledge buildings marked on the map, they are for wimps. Nothing to ease player's life a bit, be them vets or newcomers.

And aren't there those pyramids thingies, that were creasted just for that ?

Last edited by Cromcrom; 14/04/14 05:01 AM.

Un chemin de 1000 lieues commence par un premier pas.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
old hand
old hand
I on the other hand wonder how come all those forces of evil dont use the same waypoints to go directly into the town. :P

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Well, think about how waypoints work for us? First, you need to walk right up to them to get them added to your list. The enemy armies would have to walk into Cyseal, which is home to its own army.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
The waypoint I want added is one on the market place.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Well, think about how waypoints work for us? First, you need to walk right up to them to get them added to your list. The enemy armies would have to walk into Cyseal, which is home to its own army.

Since they have several NPCs working for them i think that can be easily arranged.

But, this is not a serious complaint really. Im aware this setting has several features that require some measure of "turning a blind eye" from the more discerning players, as any high fantasy does.

On the other hand...
If anyone would actually want a internally consistent excuse for this:

"Arhu controls the waypoints and he has sealed them from entry by anyone he doesnt want to have access to them. That includes all residents of cysael city since ha cannot be sure who is the hidden malefactor or is there more of them - even in ranks of the legion. Legion tried to use waypoinst closer to the city in the beginning, but all who went through them were quickly annihilated by the undead forces.

When Source hunter he called in to investigate came in and decided to lend a hand against the undead threat, he decided to attune the waypoints to them alone, since he could rust them and to enable them to swiftly move around."

all this needs is a bit of a text adjustments during the beginning. Somewhere.

maybe in the dialogue at the gates.

Y
journeyman
journeyman
Y
Agree.. hate walking back and forth over terrain i've already looted/picked to the bone lol

Link Copied to Clipboard