#492698 02/05/14 11:25 AM
A
Armaron Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Dear Larian Studios,

Bravo! Let me applaud you for taking a stand against the tyranny of Draconian Rights Management. I have been annoyed to death with DRM. The unlock code is half unreadable, the activation service or authorization service is down thus you are not allowed to play or something else is wrong that is not your doing. So what is the standard action: lock users out. You paid, you followed every step of their ridiculous process and yet you still cannot play. This is not an incentive for me to buy the game legally. Not when they treat honest customers as thieves, while the actual thieves have a much smoother game experience.

So let me thank you, Larian Studios. Let me thank you for not treating me like a criminal. Let me thank you for letting me choose to do with the product that I bought as I please. So that I can share my experience more freely with my friends. And let me thank you for not wasting time, energy and resources on a system to "protect" your product, but instead spend it on making a the game even better (I saw the before an after video and am thoroughly impressed).

I wish your mentality was copied by more of the industry, because it would be a more open and enjoyable one to work in. I hope your stand against DRM will be copied by more game manufacturers and publishers.

I wish you all the best making Divinity - Original Sin and any and all adventures you will share with us.

A huge fan of both your work and mentality,
Armaron

Armaron #492707 02/05/14 01:03 PM
veteran
veteran
Real fans buy the Early Access version on Steam...

Just kidding cheer

Last edited by LordCrash; 02/05/14 01:04 PM.

WOOS
LordCrash #492732 02/05/14 07:50 PM
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by LordCrash

Just kidding cheer

^This...lol

Armaron #492737 02/05/14 10:43 PM
old hand
old hand
Larian has a bad history dealing with DRM. In one of their games they had to break the DRM for an update to install and then re-apply the DRM. The result was a patch for the game to take far longer then what was necessary. There was also the story of making the DRM protected master copies and driving over 2 hrs to the company for them to copy and distribute the game. Getting a phone call that none of the master copies worked and they had to do this again... and again... and finally the company was able to distribute the game. I think this happened with Divine Divinity (a.k.a. Divinity: Sword of Lies).

Then there are the fees, DRM isn't free for any game company to use. Now I don't know what the negative effects are for insurance reasons to not have DRM (if any negative effects exist). What is worse is that all the game companies know there are people out there that strive to break DRM in less then 24 hrs and distribute the media (not just games) on the internet. Often this distribution is free.

If you buy the Divine Divinity Anthology with the Developer's Diary, you'll read about the Hell they went threw over DRM. The main difference between Larian and everyone else comes in the form of basic common sense. You should be able to order that either threw Amazon or the Larian Vault. I'd personally recommend threw the Larian Vault.

Just kidding cheer

Actually real fans did this over a year ago during the Kick Starter Campaign. I think the highest donation was like $2500.

All is good, new fans are just as awesome here as us ol- um "well aged and wise" fans.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 02/05/14 10:48 PM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
Armaron #492752 03/05/14 04:58 AM
addict
addict
I don't even know what DRM is ._. but if you want to share the game with friends. buy them a copy ^_^ more love for Larian since they have shown us all love.

(still those long hairstyles~ my sister and I forever love Larian!!!)

Armaron #492753 03/05/14 05:06 AM
old hand
old hand
DRM is Digital Rights Management.

It is additional software/steps you must go threw to play a game. This helps prevent piracy, most of the complaints are the versions where you need to go online and log into the game company website to play the game, this includes single player mode. An interruption of the internet connection will terminate continued game play.

DRM is a failed technology and it comes down to you wanting to support the game developers so they can make more. Swen is cool and awesome, but he still needs to eat and take a vacation to Hawaii (maybe island of Maui?) you know.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
Armaron #492780 03/05/14 12:00 PM
addict
addict
well this is an interesting fact showing that Larian is a company who think first about their players and then about profits, unlike most of the company in video game area...
DRM is a real shit whatever form it takes :
a compulsory connection to play
use the DVD every time you play scratching it
kill the reuse market and lending impossible

and as said, company justify it by the fact that it protect their games and they can sell more well actually the only game which I know was not properly hacked was Diablo 3...

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
Armaron #492792 03/05/14 01:24 PM
journeyman
journeyman
I don't like DRM either, most of the games I own are DRM free i either buy it from GOG now a days but I hear that steam version will not have DRM you just install it and play...there will be no issues with cdkeys or so ever when final version comes out...

Thank god...

May DRM goes poof in the future...

Armaron #492793 03/05/14 01:26 PM
M
addict
addict
M
Steam is DRM-lite. GOG is DRM-free.

I always go for GOG - though as a D:OS Kickstarter backer, I'm making an exception for the Steam beta wink.

Armaron #492802 03/05/14 04:01 PM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I applaud Larian as well, and I'll be getting my copy on GoG. So few companies out there have the balls to do this.

Armaron #492837 04/05/14 12:10 AM
journeyman
journeyman
How will install steam version when you say its Drm Light o.o;;; sorry just curious that all o.o;;;

Armaron #492841 04/05/14 01:11 AM
Support
Support

That's what the 'lite' is for; the Steam client is needed to download and update the game, but not to play, and it can be backed up and restored without any activation, etc. As far as DRM goes, it is relatively mild.

Raze #492842 04/05/14 01:33 AM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Raze

That's what the 'lite' is for; the Steam client is needed to download and update the game, but not to play, and it can be backed up and restored without any activation, etc. As far as DRM goes, it is relatively mild.

Awesome XD!! Thanks for clearing it up Raze!!

Raze #492963 04/05/14 06:47 PM
veteran
veteran

In that case it isn't even DRM-lite on Steam. It's just the same thing as on GOG, DRM-free. wink

WOOS
LordCrash #492992 04/05/14 09:51 PM
M
addict
addict
M
In that case it isn't even DRM-lite on Steam. It's just the same thing as on GOG, DRM-free. wink

Steam is required to be active (albeit with the option to remain in the background in "offline" mode) whenever you play a Steam game. So it's definitely not completely DRM-free. Give me GOG any day! smile

Armaron #493020 05/05/14 03:45 AM
Support
Support

Actually, there are a number of Steam games you can play without the client running, including all the Divinity games. But given the option, I certainly prefer GOG to Steam.

Armaron #493021 05/05/14 03:49 AM
journeyman
journeyman
Yep...That where i mostly get my games...Before it was steam now its GOG...XD

Armaron #493035 05/05/14 07:48 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I trust that Larian will post an overview of steam-larianvault-gog features regarding DOS near release time, on forum, DOS site, facebook, KS, etc. . It must have been asked a million times by now, but I still don't know differences regarding multiplayer options and joining people you don't know between those platforms. I know Steam will have that option, but the others?

Ellary #493037 05/05/14 09:42 AM
G
apprentice
apprentice
G
Originally Posted by Ellary
I don't even know what DRM is ._. but if you want to share the game with friends. buy them a copy ^_^ more love for Larian since they have shown us all love.

(still those long hairstyles~ my sister and I forever love Larian!!!)

That's not sharing.

Raze #493039 05/05/14 10:24 AM
M
addict
addict
M
Actually, there are a number of Steam games you can play without the client running, including all the Divinity games. But given the option, I certainly prefer GOG to Steam.

Oh, I didn't know that. But as you say, GOG is still my preferred site, as they never mess around with DRM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard