Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Mikus
OK, don't know why I didn't think of this before: the different skill and inventory "tab/section" icons (e.g. "Warrior," "Fire Magic," "All," "Consumables," etc.) should be things that you can move with the mouse into empty toolbar/hotbar slots. Left-click-and-drag would probably interfere with the standard single-left-click selection of the icons within their respective menus, so maybe single-right-click would be the best way to "pick up" and move an icon into an empty slot initially. Then, once the icon is in the toolbar slot, you could simply single-left-click it to open that player's related skill/inventory submenu, or left-click-and-drag it to remove it from the toolbar/hotbar (i.e. just like any other specific skill/item icon in the toolbar/hotbar currently).

I have no idea what you're asking for here. It doesn't really seem like something necessary. I mean, you're asking the devs to put a whole bunch of effort in to save you one click. It just seems disproportionate. I think we'll be able to struggle through without that.

M
Mikus Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
M
Originally Posted by Stabbey
I have no idea what you're asking for here. It doesn't really seem like something necessary. I mean, you're asking the devs to put a whole bunch of effort in to save you one click. It just seems disproportionate. I think we'll be able to struggle through without that.

Pretty simple idea, really - as others have also requested, it's the option to access a category of skills or items via one toolbar slot, in addition to the currently available single skill/item per slot. This would do more than merely omit "one click." But feel free to struggle on. wink

veteran
veteran
You already can essentially do this. Hit I or K and then click the thing you want to click on. Honestly, asking for the coders to do a bunch of work so you can avoid that one measly click just strikes me as laziness. I think we can live without it.

M
Mikus Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
M
Originally Posted by Stabbey
You already can essentially do this. Hit I or K and then click the thing you want to click on. Honestly, asking for the coders to do a bunch of work so you can avoid that one measly click just strikes me as laziness. I think we can live without it.

Maybe we're playing different games. In the current beta, you can't use a skill in combat unless it's already in the toolbar, and this suggestion (or at least some other tweak to the way the skill menu works within combat) would be a nice way to fix that without requiring loads of toolbar slots to be used up - so I'm frankly not sure what you're ranting about.

P
stranger
stranger
P
I must agree with Mikus on this. I suggested something a lot similar some weeks ago and I still think it would be nice to have a toolbar that worked the way it does now but also having the option to use stacks of skills categories, weapons, potions, consumables, etc in a completely transparent way. Just right click over any slot and things similar to the one being clicked would show up in a stack.

You know, the idea isn't exactly original: Divinity 1 had it's toolbar interface based on stacks and I loved being able to select through numerous potions, weapons and skill with a single left click. Apple's OSX has had the stack feature incorporated to the Dock for many years and a lot of people love it and are used to this behavior already.

But we could ask: is it something absolutely necessary for OSX to have stacks? Hell, no! One could always open Finder, look for the folder they want and then look again for the specific app/doc needeed. Of course we can struggle through that. We could even drag and drop all our docs and apps to the Dock, making it utterly clutered. But hey, isn't it much more enjoyable to have a few folder stacks organizing and giving easy access to ours things? With that in mind, is it really so absurd to expect something like this in a game with dozens if not hundreds of skills, itens and consumables? If Divinity 1 had something like that, why can't Larian's latest and best have it too?

@ Stabbey: I'm no developer myself... I'm just an average gamer who loves Larian and the Divinity games just like many other people in this forum. I'm here willingly spending a bit of my free time to simply suggest - not ask, nor request - something that IMHO could improve the game's interface. And so is Mikus I believe, who by the way is doing a great work compiling and presenting all these suggestions.
I have no idea how much time and work the things we are suggesting here would need to be implemented, but even if that's a lot I believe it is up to the DEVELOPERS to decide what is necessary and what isn't. Not us, not YOU.
No offense meant, ok? hehe

Hi, regarding the intro video:

I don't really see why it is good to make a pic in pic when the sailor and the captain are talking. I mean the speaker is always alone. If there would be more people on the monitor at the same time (maybe in later cinematics if exist) it would have more sense, but in that case I would set the speaker closer (bigger) or the other people watching him, or something similar.
This actual solution looks strange.

We are proud to report that we finished our DOS2 localization project (Hungarian). :'-)
https://warg8.jimdofree.com/
journeyman
journeyman
I would love to have the cursor icon to show moment when the your moving the character around and also please have better dialog system, why not just have done like the old fallout style where you see the character and voice acting and animation when speaking to certain characters...

I would also like to see a interface for crafting where you see the ingredients you have gathered and have place them in a certain order for the items being made that would be useful for Potions and cloth armor...

I would love to see a mini game when smelting or crafting Iron armor...that one right there could be fun or frustrating at the same time though...

If there's more things that I can think of I will post it down here in the future...

Cheers and have fun (that includes developers as well)

journeyman
journeyman
Please use witty jokes for pop-up messages because I was extremely annoyed when I was trying to disarm a pressure plate and a pop-up messages saying that is not a trap in the rudest matter...

ok?

apprentice
apprentice
Such a great list, i agree with nearly all of these, the alt to highlight, editable controls, true pause and sorting stuff is a must

Also a way to try to escape combat??

Last edited by apoc_reg; 06/05/14 09:51 AM.

----------------------------------------
GTX 480, i7 920, 6GB Dominator, Win7 x64
Steam: apoc_reg, Live: apoc reg, PSN: apoc_reg
veteran
veteran
Still on my wishlist:

- In combat mode, moving the cursor to show distance to move will also grey out/highlight skills to indicate that walking that far will mean you can no longer use that skill.

- When wielding a dagger, a tiny chevron or some other indicator appears beneath enemies to indicate the direction they're facing, so you can know where to stand for proper backstabs.

Originally Posted by Pitheco
I must agree with Mikus on this. I suggested something a lot similar some weeks ago and I still think it would be nice to have a toolbar that worked the way it does now but also having the option to use stacks of skills categories, weapons, potions, consumables, etc in a completely transparent way. Just right click over any slot and things similar to the one being clicked would show up in a stack.

You know, the idea isn't exactly original: Divinity 1 had it's toolbar interface based on stacks and I loved being able to select through numerous potions, weapons and skill with a single left click.

Is that what he was asking for? It wasn't clear to me that he was asking for Divine Divinity skill stacks, it seemed like he was asking for a button which would pop up the skill window like K does now, which would then just be auto-open to one of the tabs there.

veteran
veteran
Another wish:

Please add the current location and the progression of the main quest to the save game descriptions. Right now it's very tedious if you want to find a savegame before certain fights/events/quests. Without any indication of location (like Black Cove or Cyseal North) and main quest progression (name of the quest would be enough) you have to remember the dates or guess where the screenshot could be taken....

WOOS
M
Mikus Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
M
First, since I've been spamming lists and edits to lists, here're the latest "collections" I've put together from this and other forum threads. Hopefully I haven't missed much - and Stabbey, your two combat ideas are in the first list linked below:

Original version 1.1.30 list:
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=34882&Number=485218#Post485218

Additions/edits to original list (posted May 4):
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=34882&Number=492994#Post492994

Also, between this thread and the fact that every few hours someone posts a whole new thread asking for inventory stacking, sorting, and a key ring - all of which Larian's confirmed will be in - I think this feedback is really improving the game interface even more. Just a couple more comments for now:

-Pitheco, you took the words right out of my keyboard; thanks. Stabbey, what I think we're looking for toolbar-wise is some convenient way during combat to easily access not just the skills in the toolbar (which in the current system, has limited space, especially for players who have learned lots of skills - not to mention items), but any skill known by the player. Currently, you can't use skills in the skill menu during combat - again, they have to be selected from the toolbar. So adding the skill category icons to the toolbar, and more importantly, linking them to skills within the skill menu that can actually be used during combat, would be a huge improvement, and would eliminate the need for cluttering the limited toolbar with every single known skill the player would ever want to use in combat.

-Endre, you made me think about the intro movie, and though I know this has been mentioned elsewhere: the pop-up that overlays the movie after you choose "Lone Wolf" at character creation (something like "You've really done it now - your companion is waiting at the tavern") shouldn't be shown at that time, since it doesn't make any sense at the very beginning prior to even meeting your first companion.

-Everybody else, keep those ideas coming. I know we're down to only about 50 days before release, but even if Larian decides not to act on some ideas (because they either don't agree with them or don't have the resources), they won't know what we'd like to see if we don't tell them. Either way, they'll be the ones to decide which ideas to implement. Cheers!

veteran
veteran
Sounds to me they just need to allow you to use skills from the skills tab (you can't? Cant say I have had many skills during my beta testing).

old hand
old hand
You know... i would really, really love to see more of the slots in the hotbar - toolbar.

I dont really see any reason why we should see only one line of item-icon slots. Besides, the place where you click to move them up and down, those small icons on the side - are really, really too small. So i have to aim every time i try that.

Wouldn't it be much better if we could see at least two rows of item and skills at once?
Maybe not all three but... at least two?

That would be easier to achieve, without enlarging the hotbar too much.
You would just need to make icons a bit smaller and the hotbar (toolbar) a bit bigger.

So icons would still be visible and easily recognizable while the hotbar-toolbar would not become too big and inelegant.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Hiver
You know... i would really, really love to see more of the slots in the hotbar - toolbar.

I dont really see any reason why we should see only one line of item-icon slots. Besides, the place where you click to move them up and down, those small icons on the side - are really, really too small. So i have to aim every time i try that.

Wouldn't it be much better if we could see at least two rows of item and skills at once?
Maybe not all three but... at least two?

That would be easier to achieve, without enlarging the hotbar too much.
You would just need to make icons a bit smaller and the hotbar (toolbar) a bit bigger.

So icons would still be visible and easily recognizable while the hotbar-toolbar would not become too big and inelegant.

I think the best solution to that would be to make a button (and key prompt) which causes the hotbar to enlarge to all three lines and back. That means that you would usually just see one line while walking around, just like it is now. But when you enter combat and need more than one line you could just enlarge the hotbar to have easy access to all skills, spells and potions.

Last edited by LordCrash; 07/05/14 03:44 PM.

WOOS
old hand
old hand
Well no, thanks. Thats actually something basically completely different then what i suggested.

I would rather see more without the need to click anything to get it.
And it seems to me that seeing two rows in the hotbar would be a good compromise. It would also make it easier to click just once to bring up the third row - in the same way its done now. Only you would always have two rows visible - because thats just better then one. Easier, more functional, and more elegant.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Hiver
Well no, thanks. Thats actually something basically completely different then what i suggested.

I would rather see more without the need to click anything to get it.
And it seems to me that seeing two rows in the hotbar would be a good compromise. It would also make it easier to click just once to bring up the third row - in the same way its done now. Only you would always have two rows visible - because thats just better then one. Easier, more functional, and more elegant.

Ahem, how is my suggestion completely different than what you suggested?

I suggeested one button to enlarge the hotbar to all three lines. That would need you to make ONE click in battle to have all your spells available without the need to have two lines (which is uglier than one imo) on the screen the whole time...

I can't think of anything more functional, easy and especially elegant that that tbh. wink

WOOS
veteran
veteran
Or, encompassing both, a button to add rows, permanently.
So Hiver can have his 2 bars, I (who don't need that) just 1 taking space, and everyone can go 3 in combat if need be.

?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Wouldn't be a bad idea if the hotbar could just be resized (possibly on top of being able to create extra bars as per the previous posters' suggestions), lots of wasted screen real-estate on both ends of the hotbar right now (especially on smaller screens, where the chat windows don't reasonable fit next to the current hotbar). I mean, since we're stuck with widescreen we might as well use the width of the screen...

I thought DA:O did well in that respect.

* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

It is a full moon night and ... bèèè! ... the Weresheep are out...
A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by theBlackDragon

I thought DA:O did well in that respect.

Hmm, yea DA:O and 2 were quite alright on that front, screen wide quickbar allowed for a lot of skills to be put in there. The only problem is that so many slots are difficult to map with key shortcuts. But then again, it's not like we're talking about MMORPG or somesuch here, there's no real need for that.
Something like this then?:
[Linked Image]
This quuickbar needs to be scalable with resolution though, because you can only fit as many slots as resolution allows.

Last edited by Aramintai; 07/05/14 11:20 PM.
Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard