Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
addict
addict
[quote]Considering the main murder quest of this beta, what rpg would you mention that has better quest design than D:OS these days ? Better exploration ? [quote]
/sarcasm mode on/ OMG, are you saying there is a main quest in this game ? And there maybe could be secondary quests ? AMAZING !
And Exploration ! WOW ! Like finding NEW STUFF in places you have NEVER BEEN BEFORE ! Now that's a concept !
/sarcasm mode off/

Ok, let's say you like the main quest design, and the "exploration", this is fine.
I mean, Cyseal is so boring that I would bet that 80% of players turn thieves or murderers just for something to happen.
Game is so Fighting focused that I would bet that almost all players take the same abilities or talents.
Just the story: Once you meet ZIXZAX whatever, I am suppose to save Time Itself. Yeah, lets go back to solve that murder, it's more important. Source hunters ? With a training sword that is outdated as soon as you go outside find some big wood cleaver ? That got their asses kicked otherwise ? A besieged city where you can go in and out like its not besieged ? Legionnaires that don't have a proper Smith to tend their weapons and armors ? A healer that sells almost to no healing potions ?
I mean, I know its a fantasy world. But there are so many missing parts here that I can't get the mood to play solo.

I can understand two friends playing this game will have a blast. That's really what saves the game so far. Oh yeah, and moving crates.

Un chemin de 1000 lieues commence par un premier pas.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
veteran
veteran
Guys, Crumcrum is a troll, stop wasting your breath... their are more productive things to do with your time...
Giant posts only waste your time.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Cromcrom

Just the story: Once you meet ZIXZAX whatever, I am suppose to save Time Itself. Yeah, lets go back to solve that murder, it's more important.

You mean, considering the murder investigation is precisely the thing that leads you to meet ZixZax and that you just found at the crime scene one of the stones you need to repare the tapestry ?
Yeah, I'd say they were pretty consistent on that one.

OK guys, I'm done, I'll stop feeding him, sorry, I'm easy bait I guess.

addict
addict
@Clemens. Indded, you are right, It does make sense, and I wasn't seeing things that way. But indeed this is very consistent. No sarcasm here, I admit I was wrong.

Ok, I also found a quatermaster at the legionnary camp. Could world like a Smith of some kind, why not, so I was wrong also.

However, I was about to quit but then I "attacked' a training dummy, to see if maybe I could gain some little XPs from it (yeah, an "interactive " dream of mine...") so all the legionnaires around me attacked me (but having bought some proper weapon at the quatermaster, I slaughtered them 6 or 7...). Nice "interaction".
Fucked game. But ok, it's a bug, it is beta, it will be fixed.
This game is amazing really. Can't wait for more old school goodness. Yep, really. Can't wait.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
R
RtM Offline
R
You're still here?

Z
apprentice
apprentice
Z
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter
Guys, Crumcrum is a troll, stop wasting your breath... their are more productive things to do with your time...
Giant posts only waste your time.

Some people can also be drama queens. But yeah, best to ignore.

journeyman
journeyman
So True..I would consider this Post has been Trollizied >.<;;;

addict
addict
Seriously Cromcrom?!!! come on tell me you're joking !!
Perhaps we should organize something special tomorrow for your 1 year of trolling on that forum wink

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
journeyman
journeyman
Hehe...XD!!

apprentice
apprentice
Regarding the opening I just played the beta on the latest build having not touched the alpha or earlier version.

I found the tutorial dungeon cool but incredibly hard, the path finding of my second party member seemed to walk into fire on purpose! I had to unhook the two and move them one by one which shouldn't really be needed.

I also felt trapped when I got to the town. I love the town and really enjoy walking around but every time I've tried to venture out I've been killed almost instantly and with no way to exit combat and run away its meant a reload (that I know of?).

I hear there are party members.... didn't know that!

So I think its great but yes if I wasn't a player who loves demon souls I probably would be suitably put off by now!

----------------------------------------
GTX 480, i7 920, 6GB Dominator, Win7 x64
Steam: apoc_reg, Live: apoc reg, PSN: apoc_reg
M
addict
addict
M
Originally Posted by apoc_reg
I found the tutorial dungeon cool but incredibly hard, the path finding of my second party member seemed to walk into fire on purpose! I had to unhook the two and move them one by one which shouldn't really be needed.

Yeah, I've been playing the alpha and now the beta versions for a couple months now, and this is still one of the most annoying issues for me. I know proper pathfinding can be very tough to implement, but I'm hoping the devs find a way to prevent party members from ever walking through damage environments (assuming the player isn't manually forcing the party to path through such an environment).

apprentice
apprentice
Yeah exactly, if as the player i click on burning ground then its my own fault but if i click miles over the map i would expect if the path is blocked by fire/electricity whatever for the npc to go around.

----------------------------------------
GTX 480, i7 920, 6GB Dominator, Win7 x64
Steam: apoc_reg, Live: apoc reg, PSN: apoc_reg
addict
addict
Thanks Chaotica. I try to globally be honest. I try to check what I say if I have doubts, and try to criticize on facts. The fact that I am wrong sometimes won't take away the fact that I find this game incredibly frustrating, for many reasons, and I am probably/obviously not the only one.

Last edited by Cromcrom; 06/05/14 12:27 PM.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
journeyman
journeyman
Game does feel sort of all over the place. But considering the small budget id say LS did a grand job. There are still quite a few annoying things though and I can't get tired of mentioning them hoping that LS must have a list by now of things to work hard on to make the game smooth experience and that inventory, dialogue and journal are some of those few things.

Some people though may have better tolerance for annoying things than others. Especially as a backer I try to ignore most of the annoying things and just get through as much of the game as possible. But if I wasn't a backer and just bought a game in current condition I have to think that devs started very well and then just gave up and couldn't finish it. But then again there are still few more weeks until release and I believe the game will be nicely patched and annoyance free.

No matter the game is unique and IMHO one of the best ones since Baldurs Gate by feel, atmosphere and content I still find myself wishing that this and that was done better, that NPCs had voice overs, etc. from what I read there will be some voice overs which is great!

My first real play through I've done after first major beta patch, which changed the game for the best. I have to say that questing in DOS is a bit weird. I ended up just exploring everything and killing what I could. I think there should be more hints for quests, at least in NPC dialogue. Otherwise in many cases I ended up losing the clue what's going on in a particular quests probably in the middle. They don't supposed to lead you by hand with pointers to quest location trigger, but there should at least be some hints I the journal.

There are so many quests and if you just go and talk to bunch of people in town you end up having about 30 quests in journal. When some quests are updated after talking to certain NPCs a lot of times it doesn't update the journal. So if you are doing multiple quests at once it's easy to lose track of what someone told you 30 minutes ago. Do I have to take notes in a notebook outside the game? That's what in-game journal is for. It supposed to have necessary information for each quest. I don't want to go all over the map to see if I missed something for this one specific quest. Journal supposed to tell me if I am still missing something.

Anyways, it's a great game but because of annoyance and little things that cripple the experience it may end up being a pain in the butt for some people, so I completely understand where the OP is coming from. I'd say delay the release for a month but polish it as much as possible. Don't release it in half polished state with messy inventory or messy dialogue system or messy journal...

veteran
veteran
30? There are not even that many quests in the beta, let stand you get them all in the city. Gross exageration.

And I had no trouble at all keeping track of all quests while within the city. Is it really that hard a thing for most people? It's far less demanding than, say, Baldur's Gate II, and I wouldn't want to have less quests at all.

Support
Support
Originally Posted by apoc_reg
with no way to exit combat and run away its meant a reload (that I know of?).

There is a flee button (boot icon) on the right side of the screen in combat; if you move out of the immediate vicinity of opponents, you should be able to teleport away. You can also literally run away from combat, as long as you are faster than your opponents, can slow them down or can hide from their view; if you get far enough away you will break out of combat.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Glad to see the thread is becoming positive and constructive again.

Two things that should be added to the tutorial:

The sheer importance of skill books and mentioning that is the only way to learn new combat abilities. That abilities don't unlock automatically. This can be done with an ability book found in that tutorial dungeon.

A dialog box to prompt a user the first time they leave town that it would be really wise to find and enlist at least one other party member such as a warrior in a tavern or a mage that might be in a library.

Had both of these been in the game, this thread wouldn't have existed. I want to tell as many people about this game as possible, but they have the same life style and will go about the game in a far more aggressive manner then me. Honestly, they might just buy a few weapons in town and only explore 20% of it. And I'm sure the ship will sink in the same manner it did for me.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 07/05/14 06:48 AM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
M
addict
addict
M
Originally Posted by LightningLockey
A dialog box to prompt a user the first time they leave town that it would be really wise to find and enlist at least one other party member such as a warrior in a tavern or a mage that might be in a library.

+1 to this (assuming the player(s) haven't selected the Lone Wolf talent). Would've prevented about a dozen threads I've seen on the forum - no sarcasm; I understand the complaint.

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Mikus
Originally Posted by LightningLockey

+1 to this (assuming the player(s) haven't selected the Lone Wolf talent). Would've prevented about a dozen threads I've seen on the forum - no sarcasm; I understand the complaint.

I think that tutorial popups when you enter the town should highlight all there is to know about towns - like bartering, stealing, quest givers, companions etc.
But also, maybe a reminder about companions could be done in the form of a dialogue between pc characters, provided at least one of them has not taken the Lone Wolf perk. Something like:
Question: Maybe we should look around town for some extra muscle before venturing out into the wilds?
Reply 1: Yea sure, you never know what's out there. There is safety in numbers, and all that.
Reply 2: Don't be such a whimp, we can manage on our own.
Reply 3 (if the character has Lone Wolf): I prefer to work alone, you are distracting me enough as it is.

Last edited by Aramintai; 07/05/14 10:38 AM.
stranger
stranger
I'm going to chip in and offer a little insight on my latest beta playthrough.

First of all i want to congratulate Larian for this epic, legendary game. Please i love it madly. <3 <3 <3

Witchcraft
--------------------------------
Witchcraft seems a little underpowered. Maybe i didn't use it right? I made a pure witch, maxed out witchcraft and bought any spells i could find in vendors but i had only 1 dps spell which is not even remotely useful.

Elemental spells can battle any hazards as well you find in the game. Like you can use a rain spell to put off flames in your way, but with bloodletting i could only slash zombies to spread more poison on me frown frown

I ended up taking on fire to do some spell damage and i did summon zerg to help me in battle laugh

My thoughts is that witchcraft is for a melee hybrid character? I would love it though if you could play a pure witch caster. Seems nigh impossible now...

Companions, game difficulty
------------------------------------
I spoke to almost all npcs in town and did many many quests. But, (WARNING I HOPE THIS IS NOT A MINOR SPOILER!!!) i didn't want the demon hunter companion in my party of evuls people...(end of possible spoiler)

I ended up with a 3 party people and my witch which made the game really really difficult...

Will we have a wider variety of companions with eviler disposisions?

Are there any plans for a female orc companion later in the game? Or maybe Victoria? She looks bad arse, please please? :>

Music
-----------
Fantastic, period.
The opening beta video and music brought tears to my eyes.

Regrets
----------
That i didn't give more in kickstarter. frown

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard