Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Originally Posted by Tanist
The "opinons" here should be about what people think would work and would not concerning those systems, but instead it has devolved into petty emotional contests and objections.

Yeah. I think that this thread should be closed, because it's not really about the game anymore, just a bunch of pointless drama.

^ agree.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tanist
The "opinons" here should be about what people think would work and would not concerning those systems, but instead it has devolved into petty emotional contests and objections.

Well, unfortunately that tends to happen when the thread's author can't seem to engage in a debate without resorting to personal insults one step removed from "momma so fat" jokes.

I'm sorry, but it's true. Hiver implies it's difficult to act civil when dealing with others, yet the rest of the people on this forum seem to be able to do it. There are various levels of success from one individual to the next, and occasionally people slip, but with Hiver it's predictable and constant (which is why you see /popcorn jokes in the threads he participates in). Posters generally have about one post of slack to disagree with him before he spends multiple paragraphs detailing all the ways they are mentally challenged.

It's immature, it's rude, and it has no place on these forums. The conduct rules are pretty clear, and I'm really not sure why he gets away with breaking them as often as he does. Honestly, it sets a bad precedent for everyone else. Everyone needs to take a moment and imagine what these forums would look like if everyone on them spoke to each other the way Hiver talks down to others. This place would literally be a cesspool.

You can debate who started what for another ten pages, but it's crystal clear who escalated it well beyond what's acceptable.

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
Originally Posted by Hiver
Originally Posted by JoeBart

I've read through this thread. Please point out where cromcrom requests that you provide him with an "appropriate short version." Perhaps you got that from another thread. It appears no where in this one.

Godammit, can't you just summary your thoughts?

I stand corrected and I apologize for it. I missed that post as it was a shorter one and the fault lies with me.

As for your reference to Dragomist's posts, how do you know he did not read your posts? His comments seem completely in line with someone who disagrees with normal mode being too easy, which is exactly what you mentioned in your opening post.

Playing obtuse just makes you look obtuse. You should know that.

I stand by my position that Dragomist read your post and objected to your claim that "currently the game is very, very easy." Is this not appropriate? If it isn't then perhaps calling the current normal mode "very, very easy" is unnecessary.

I'm not quite sure what to make of the last sentence, specifically "While I'm actually saying the opposite all this time."

Yes, it must be a great mystary.

Are you suggesting that instead of normal mode being harder, it should in fact be easier? That would appear to be contrary to all of your previous positions.

:lol:

From claiming one false and utterly ridiculous notion as "my actual desire" to claiming even worse idiocy... claim, claim ,claim.

Just because you felt personally slighted because i said that the game is very, very, VERY, VERY EASY.

You've parsed my post here in a way that destroys the original meaning. The section you quoted was a question aimed at a particular thought you had posted. I was unclear as to the meaning of that thought and was hoping for clarification.

I don't see asking for clarification as assuming your "actual desire." Rather, the inquiry was aimed at further understanding your thoughts.

Furthermore, I did not feel "personally slighted that [you] said the game is very, very, VERY, VERY EASY." If I'm coming across that way I apologize. I've only taken the position that to a new player the game could be rather difficult in certain areas.

Please enlighten me as to where I demand what you should think.

Enlightenment...

Could be achieved only if i could talk to you personally.
Since that is hard to achieve, unfortunately, enlightenment will have to wait for some such opportunity.

Enlighten in this context is asking for you to provide examples where I demand what you should think. It has nothing to do with achieving an arbitrary "enlightenment."

I will eagerly await the opportunity to achieve that "enlightenment" with you.

I merely stated that any game should be designed for a wide audience to be a commercial success.

As any mass market drone would and should. Design for the lowest common denominators.

You must be new to the internets...

Are you in agreement then that the normal difficulty should appeal to a wide audience?

And I fail to see how my newness to the "internets" has anything to do with my concern that the difficulty of the game be designed for a wide audience.

Creating a game that is too difficult for a new player could be detrimental to this goal. I fail to see how this is demanding that you think a certain way.

Yet when i tell you directly, for the moment putting aside the fact that you are intentionally playing obtuse and basically trying to flame me, while pretending to lead a "nice conversation" and being all proper like ...

- that changing the normal mode has nothing to do with what i said since i actually am talking about hard mode specifically -

- you tell me that is not correct and that i actually think: something,... blarrgbbb, blrrghh, bllrbbhh ...

Sorry, thats how most of your sentences look to me dear chap.

Oh right, you tell me i dont really think that but that i actually want to change the normal mode and then you argue about and against that.

I've addressed thoughts that you've included in your posts.

I've also agreed with you that a "proper" hard mode should be implemented. One that is not merely increasing HP, the damage enemies can do, the damage you can do, etc. Is that the part of my posts that appear to be "blarrgbbb, blrrghh, bllrbbhh"? My agreement there is also very, very much on target with the main idea of your original post.

In all of your posts addressed to me you've made no mention of my agreement with you in certain areas. Why is this?

In my latter reply to your post, I mention specifically what the general point of your original post was about. That has not been lost on me.

Then you are intentionally obtuse all this time.
Well, isnt that a surprise?

You mean to tell me that all this is just you being butthurt because someone said that on the normal the game is very, VERY; VERY; VERY EASY?

Again, I fail to see how this becomes an issue of whether I'm offended or not. I've made the argument that for a new player, the game can be rather difficult. Getting your tankiest character nearly one hit KO'd by an archer is not a pleasant experience. Fights can be difficult without being punishingly difficult and or cheesy.

Are you of the mind that a single archer should be able to one hit, or nearly one hit, KO your tankiest character?

Again, I'm not sure what you mean by the last sentence. It would appear you're inferring that you're aghast someone would request you defend your position.

Against intentionally idiotic accusations you have simply invented yourself - yes.

Yes, I was making an inference based on what you had posted. Perhaps I should not have done this.

I don't think it was an "idiotic" accusation that I merely invented however. The sentence was unclear and it seemed you were taking the position that people should accept your thoughts without any rebuttal. Am I wrong?

Nowhere in your opening post do I see you arguing that normal difficulty should be left as is.

mhmm? you dont say?

Gee, well.. maybe it should be made a bit harder? Because right now it is balanced for the likes of you.

What do you mean the game is balanced for the likes of me? It would appear that again, you are assaulting my intelligence. There is no need for that Hiver.

In fact, you specifically mention that developer time should be spent further balancing and improving normal difficulty, thus implying that it should not be left as is.

Yes, improving the game in its beta stage, the horror.

We are in agreement then, though I do not think it is a horrifying idea.

In addition, your overall tone suggests an overall contempt for normal difficulty and that you would like it to provide a greater challenge.

Ah, you know what i really think from my..."tone"... on the internet. So, you are telepathic!
No, no...that contempt is aimed at you personally Joe.
You think that anyway, because i said that the normal mode is very, very, very, VERY; VERY; VERY EASY... so i might as well.

Rightfully so.

Am I wrong in thinking that you dislike the normal difficulty and think it should be harder? You have surely seemed to express this sentiment.

Additionally, I make no such argument that you have contempt for me personally. Where did you get that idea?

Then it was a sentence that could have, and should have been removed from your opening post as it has no relation to your overall point. Why mention normal difficulty is "very, very easy" if your entire post is to be about your desire for a properly implemented hard mode?

Because someone with quite limited intelligence like you will not tell me what sentences i will use or not.

Again, there is no need to attack me personally Hiver. I was suggesting you could have altered your opening post to make no mention of how easy you find normal difficulty. Rather, you could have tightly focused on what you would like the developers to do in regards to a hard difficulty, and what you would like them to do in the final stretch of development.

Am I wrong to suggest this? I think it would have increased the clarity of your post as well as improved the focus of your post. If it was not intended to be about how easy normal difficulty is, I don't see a reason to mention that.

There is no need to mention you find normal mode "very, very easy."

The game normal mode is very, very, very easy - which makes you feel bad personally.

smile wave hehe woehoe

I've not mentioned that normal difficulty makes me "feel bad personally." Where did you get this idea?

Since you brought it up, I'll address it. Normal difficulty does not make me feel bad personally.

What do you mean there are no folks here? Are you implying that the individuals posting are not people? I'm having trouble comprehending your topic sentence there. Perhaps I'm obtuse. But a few people could qualify as folk.

You know what that means and being actually obtuse doesnt change that. You are not some kind of majority, a large group, or "folks". You are just one pathetic obtuse individual who thinks everyone else fell onto internet from a tree yesterday.
(i know you wont understand that, and thats alright)

I never claimed to be a majority, nor did I claim to be part of a large group. I did mention that a few people could qualify as folk (as in walking into a room and opening with the greeting "hello, folks"). Your claim that "there are no folks here" is very awkward.

Again, you attack me personally. That is unnecessary.

No one doubts you have put forth a lot of time and effort into this game Hiver. No one has said anything of the sort.

That section is not addressing you or assumes anyone doubts anything about that. So dont imply that. Dont think it, dont assume it.
I am merely providing clear background to my proposition so anyone who actually reads it can get a quick sense of where im coming from.

Then I am grateful you've informed me and everyone else of the time you put into the game.

Then why include a description of your merits if you did not assume anyone doubted them?

I just told you why. Right there.

What you assume that i am assuming is just a sign of a deep psychological problems.
Which are very blatant.

merits... :lol:

I do not see how this is a "sign of deep psychological problems." My thought that you assume no one doubts how much effort you've put into the game is a sign of deep psychological problems? That seems to be quite a stretch Hiver.

I do not know what you mean by this sentence.

Thats... not a surprise.
And its alright. You are not meant to understand everything. Nor is any of your opinions required any further.

They are ... dully noted.

Some of your sentences are unclear, which is why I was unable to understand it. Asking for clarification is wrong?

addict
addict
On the opposite side, one could make an equally flippant claim that ones inability to properly discern the key important points from their reading to be a lack of intelligence.
Same goes to the writer, huh, ?

like:
"On the opposite side, one could make an equally flippant claim that ones inability to properly discern the key important points from their WRITING to be a lack of intelligence."

Un chemin de 1000 lieues commence par un premier pas.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
Hiver Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks Tanist, for taking on that burden. Some use of it may come up eventually, even though it seems like a Sisyphus errand. Ive long ago learned that lesson, which is why my own replies humoring those pretension of civil and resonable discourse last very short.

Ah yes, thank you Stabbey. Thats a great suggestion. Lets just allow any of these trolls to close threads as they see fit by forcing their issues based on misunderstanding and intentional false accusations.

Thats a great idea.
Instead of maybe removing those trolling and misunderstanding based comments and keeping the thread on track of its original purpose.

So the next time anyone sees whatever idea or personal opinion they dont like, (of course i took the false accusations of me doing that as very ironic since the start), they can do the same, come into the thread and spam it until it is closed. Regardless of any facts, logic or common sense.
While complaining and accusing others of "not respecting other people opinions and preferences".

I do appreciate your earlier post that was keeping to the subject and the topic.

As the one made by NeutroniumDragon

I wanted to reply but was drowned in actual real trolling, flaming and spam.

So...before this thread is closed as a burning example of how personal opinions and specifically aimed discussions get treated on these boards, for anyone who would DARE go against the opinions of these esteemed and crucial members of the forums...

Originally Posted by NeutroniumDragon
I'm against better loot at higher difficulty for the reasons given elsewhere - it has the paradoxical effect of making hard difficulties easier and also creates the impression (intentionally or not) that hard difficulty is the "correct" way to play.

Naturally. More xp and better loot defeat the purpose of harder difficulty.
Unless we are talking about the usual form of "increse enemy damage and HP - decrese players". In that case its a matter of - whatever.

Changing enemy AI/tactics is a much better approach, and while I'm not sure how readily the game could handle it, changing the tactical challenge is another option.

As a generic example: if the difficulty is set to easy, the archers in this encounter are standing in an exposed location. If it's normal, they're reasonably sheltered behind melee enemies. If it's hard, they're positioned on elevated areas to one side of the battle which makes getting to them even more difficult, and shooting at them from below is also more difficult unless you have a good angle on them.

I think tactical challenges can be adjusted in the "hard mode" without changing any other mods of difficulty.

These can be left as they are.

From what ive seen so far, different elevations of terrain still produce some problems with aiming and after all, each encounter should be changed appropriately for the environment it is in.
There is no elevated positions in a lot of encounters.

You may also noticed that any fight where there is no barrels automatically becomes tougher and tactically more challenging too.

Replacing one creature type with another of similar power but with different capabilities can also work to this end if it affects the synergies between creatures or even just increases the number of things that the player has to take into consideration while fighting them.

As well as adding a few more. I quite liked the scarecrow encounter in the west, with those two undead fighters suddenly springing from the ground - usually in the middle of my group.

That could be very effectively used to increase the awesomeness of encounters.
It does remind me a lot of that old move about Jason and Argonauts that i watched as a kid.

I am not sure if it is possible for increased difficulty to add extra items (arrows, potions, maybe even scrolls if the enemy can use them) to enemy inventories, and remove some of the free resurrection scrolls in chests.

It is possible if someone would go over every encounter manually and adjust all these things

However, some of these changes are not going to work in D:OS because you can change the difficulty mid-game, it's not set from the start. Because of that, the options are a lot more limited.

Yeah, well... i actually wasnt thinking about that feature.

Thats a bummer. Certainly. And not compatible with any single thing or idea i wrote so far.
In such a system only the most simple changes such as more/less/damage/HP can be actually implemented.

Then again, my general idea or suggestion of maybe thinking about additional hard difficulty or mod - released after a few months makes sense in that context.

A mod would seem like a more reasonable proposition.
Which would also leave the devs to simply work on the game to bring it up to highest quality in time for official release.

- edit -

Didnt see that post of your Joe, as i was writing and posting this one. Good to see you are able to realize a few things at least.
I`ll consider our discussion done and finished.
Instead of wasting any more time on that argument, regardless of what parts of it remain unclear or unsolved in the end.

Im, frankly speaking - completely fed up with it.

Last edited by Hiver; 26/05/14 04:31 PM.
veteran
veteran

Thats a great idea.
Instead of maybe removing those trolling and misunderstanding based comments and keeping the thread on track of its original purpose.

If that happened, most of your posts in this thread would have to disappear. Do you honestly not see that?

Hiver Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Of course i see that you f... cough, ahem....

Yes indeed, i meant my replies to all that too. - Including this post and any of yours falling into that category too. -

It would look very weird if my replies to this nonsense were left while what i was replying to was deleted. I cant even fathom why someone would want that, what kind of logic is that...let alone why you just presumed i think that...

Well, actually i have some ideas but i better not say because i made a promise to Swen (i believe? i have no idea yet who is who under the devs nicknames, its not that important anyway.)

/

Which would leave the thread to get back on track to the original idea and discussion.

veteran
veteran
Of course i see that you f... cough, ahem....

Yes indeed, i meant my replies to all that too. - Including this post and any of yours falling into that category too. -

It would look very weird if my replies to this nonsense were left while what i was replying to was deleted. I cant even fathom why someone would want that, what kind of logic is that...let alone why you just presumed i think that...

Well, actually i have some ideas but i better not say because i made a promise to Swen (i believe? i have no idea yet who is who under the devs nicknames, its not that important anyway.)

First, less-than-subtle insults and faux politeness are not any better than outright insults, which is what you're doing in the quote above.

Second, I think the difference here is that you feel your comments would have to be deleted because they are replying to troll comments. Where as I am saying your comments would have to be deleted because *they are the troll comments*.

Hopefully that clears things up.

veteran
veteran
This thread is why game developers drink heavily.

veteran
veteran
We usually tune out after the insults start flying, or the thread goes beyond a couple of pages. After that it's usually up to the community manager to let us know if something interesting shows up.

I'm not sure if he drinks. Probably.

Hiver Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
First, less-than-subtle insults and faux politeness are not any better than outright insults, which is what you're doing in the quote above.

Yes they are. And i promised no cuss words.

Besides faux politeness insults is what youve been doing in every reply you make to me. Which that post i replied to is a perfect example of. It would be great if you were capable of understanding that.

Second, I think the difference here is that you feel your comments would have to be deleted because they are replying to troll comments. Where as I am saying your comments would have to be deleted because *they are the troll comments*.

Hopefully that clears things up.

No, thats just another faux polite comment / insult from you.
While its obvious you have no idea what trolling is and just call anything that doesnt comply with your opinions or ideas or assumption - trolling. Which is actual trolling and flaming.

And its also just another nonsensical assumption you made and then based your post on.

Actually based on some personal issues. Colloquially called butthurt. Needless to say, that idiocy is not my motive or "what i actually think", but another product of your own brain.

Anyway, if you have nothing to add to the original idea - just dont post anything. Wanna talk some personal stuff - you have PMs.

If any mod will clean up the thread, please include this post and the one it is a reply to.

addict
addict
"Ah yes, thank you Stabbey. Thats a great suggestion. Lets just allow any of these trolls to close threads as they see fit by forcing their issues based on misunderstanding and intentional false accusations." - Hiver

You assume everyone is trying to troll you? trust me buttercup you have not witnessed me troll at all yet~ Honestly not even reading most of your posts anymore. all the same blah blah blah. Many solutions to the problem have been offered.

So have fun dwelling on it~ To the rest of you *hugs* looking forward to chatting away on opening day in world chat ^_^

veteran
veteran
Besides faux politeness insults is what youve been doing in every reply you make to me.

You're confusing "faux politeness insults" with restraint, bluntness, and honesty. Saying "how it is" (what I'm doing in this sentence) is not the same as finding a roundabout way to deliver a less than subtle insult - which is something you frequently do in your responses.

Originally Posted by Ellary
"Ah yes, thank you Stabbey. Thats a great suggestion. Lets just allow any of these trolls to close threads as they see fit by forcing their issues based on misunderstanding and intentional false accusations." - Hiver

You assume everyone is trying to troll you? trust me buttercup you have not witnessed me troll at all yet~

Exactly. Like I said before, this place would become a cesspool if everyone spoke to one another in the fashion Hiver does. Every topic would be everyone calling everyone else idiots, all day, every day.

Anyway, I'm out. I said my piece relevant to the actual topic back on page 1.

Y
journeyman
journeyman
Y
This thread is why game developers drink heavily.

Ya drink and laugh at all of us lmfao

Hiver Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
It certainly makes me expand my ignore list.

Anyway,

As i mentioned in op and probably in another post or two after, there is a veritable overabundance of different loot items, resources, crafting ingredients and equipment of all sorts in the game.

Maybe its just because it is a beta so devs didnt particularly balance that and allowed more then would be usual so everyone can try all sorts of things.

One of the results of it is that crafting becomes quite unnecessary. I havent used crafting in all my playthroughs so far, except some occasional and rare use, just to see how something works, what combines with what. (Ive been trying to see how intuitive it is without reading all those recipes. And its not. but - my bad.)

Im figuring, if the amounts of loot such as potions, weapons, armors and magic items are lowered, crafting would become much more valuable skill to have.
It wouldnt be so easy to buy whatever you want from traders either. You would have to be a bit more careful about your choices there.
- You would still have money to buy stuff, only not so much.

Plus, you would actually need to craft stuff. Wouldnt that be good?
Especially in the later areas that maybe will not have a whole city with traders and shops, although there certainly will be a trader or two for players convenience, as is a custom of RPGs.

One of the areas hinted at in the beta is a Phantom forest, that Madora mentions.
I think there is some kind of settlement next to it so traders will be there.
But maybe the selection of goods should not be so numerous and diverse as in the Cysael?
Maybe you would need to do some collecting of resources and craft stuff for yourself.

A bit more of survival theme and feel would do this game good, in my opinion.
Though i doubt we will see it in official release.

As a part of a standalone mod though, it could bring a whole different dimension to the game.
Or be one of the cornerstones of a completely different story done in a completely different setting.

veteran
veteran

One of the results of it is that crafting becomes quite unnecessary. I havent used crafting in all my playthroughs so far, except some occasional and rare use, just to see how something works, what combines with what. (Ive been trying to see how intuitive it is without reading all those recipes. And its not. but - my bad.)

Im figuring, if the amounts of loot such as potions, weapons, armors and magic items are lowered, crafting would become much more valuable skill to have.

In my opinion, the Crafting skill would have been a more valuable skill if a large chunk of it hadn't been split off and combined with the Repair skill (now called Blacksmithing), all to make Repair more attractive. It probably would have been better if they had just folded the Repair skill in with Crafting instead, as Crafting wasn't particularly strong to start out with.

This was discussed over yonder: Concerns about crafting.

addict
addict
Hiver.. where are you finding all this mega loot? when I played through I found a few items at most (and before you go all derp tastic. I did explore the entire city) ..Did you steal most of this stuff? not everyone is doing the stealing thing.

Crafting. Honestly I would remove it from the game.."put points into crafting make this item" ..."Oh no point now I can't raise the skill needed to make it beneficial"

Y
journeyman
journeyman
Y
Hiver.. where are you finding all this mega loot? when I played through I found a few items at most (and before you go all derp tastic. I did explore the entire city) ..Did you steal most of this stuff? not everyone is doing the stealing thing.

Crafting. Honestly I would remove it from the game.."put points into crafting make this item" ..."Oh no point now I can't raise the skill needed to make it beneficial"

Or give more skill points.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by ynotndalton

well yeah, which is what I plan on doing with the toolkit, just did not mention it here~ cause the forums are like mine field lately..never know what is going to set someone off.

Y
journeyman
journeyman
Y
Originally Posted by ynotndalton

well yeah, which is what I plan on doing with the toolkit, just did not mention it here~ cause the forums are like mine field lately..never know what is going to set someone off.

Ya not having enough skill points sucks lol... for the reasons you stated before... put points into something then screw yourself completely somewhere else... i don't want a "cheating" amount but enough to have fun with.
Want to have to earn them also.. through optional quests and such.. not just given to me through main story.
This would make a great reward for some very challenging fights and quests.. the most valuable item in the game.

Last edited by ynotndalton; 27/05/14 01:23 AM.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard