Page 1 of 2 1 2
#495567 18/05/14 02:51 PM
R
R0hland Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
The last thing I want to do is reference another game, but...

In BG, players had the ability to press 'Space' to pause the game. There are several times (out of combat) when my character has stepped on a trap or in fire and dies from burning/poison damage. Were I able to pause the game, I could have easily gotten a heal spell or potion off in time.

Great game!

D
stranger
stranger
D
Please don't spam the forum with UI-wishs. Thats what the Beta UI Wishlist Thread is for.

Dedicated Telekinesis Tester
B
stranger
stranger
B
I have to agree with rohland. The ai to regroup after combat is getting my guys killed. They run through hazards like fire to regroup or reform after combat ends. This is horrible but also, I don't have time to switch characters and heal. being able to enter into combat mode I could move my fire elemental away from the group where it can die/expire harmlessly or give me the time to heal and treat inflicted members of my party. I would say that combat starting and you move to your combat start positions regardless if you walk through fire is a bug. And also a bug when combat ends and your fire elemental runs up to your group and explodes.

D
stranger
stranger
D
A possibly simpler solution, just treat any damage received as start of combat.

Even if you have no enemies you just stay in combat until you you stop taking damage.

But that doesn't do much to fix your party members running through oceans of fire to "regroup" after combat.

@darkeisbein hush.

Last edited by darkened; 19/05/14 06:19 AM.
T
stranger
stranger
T
Seconded - It's a real downer to survive combat then die straight afterwards because you can't hit the buttons fast enough to stop bleeding or cure poison.

Is it possible to arrange it that combat only ends when all effects of combat (poison, burning, bleeding, etc) have run their course?

Last edited by tom8a; 22/05/14 05:27 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
This is an opinion, not a bug. I love the dying-afterwards-effect. It forces me to reason more about combat. (so forget the pause button I say)

Last edited by Lotrotk; 22/05/14 05:33 PM.
R
R0hland Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
@darkened - Good input. Again, apologies for pulling from BG, but there was an option to auto-pause on damage. Incorporating this as a toggle switch (on/off) would give players that want a more challenging playthrough (@Lotrotk), the ability to not use this feature.

@darkeisbein - Sorry. I didn't realize there was a UI wishlist forum.

addict
addict
One hotkey for pausing is all it takes. The real question is: do the devs want to let us pause or not?

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
old hand
old hand
EinTroll and it has to be a separate hotkey. Going to the main menu via Esc to pause (as has been suggested elsewhere) isn't good, since it can be a coop game. Maybe I want to make a config change, the other player shouldn't have to wait on that.

But a separate hotkey that doesn't interfere with anything else in the game other than a direct pause, would be nice. If that were built, I would incorporate parts of that feature into a toggle option where any DOT damage outside of combat the game auto-pauses immediately.

And/Or after combat there is a 5 second or so damage immunity time for the team to regroup.

And/Or after combat the team doesn't auto-regroup, they stay put. This can help several area's of the game, perhaps do not force auto-formation until the leader moves. For example just switching leaders the players always want to reposition. How about they never reposition until the leader moves and then do the formation? I think that could help several situations in the game today.

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
I would love a pause feature, or at the very least the ability to "unchain" my party after battle so they don't all go running through the fire to get to the leader.

Y
journeyman
journeyman
Y
Agreed on pause button

old hand
old hand
A pause button, or a setting that enabled turn based actions anytime a party member was taking damage would be very helpful. It's frustrating that an accidental graze against environmental effects can be an insta-death because it takes too long to scroll to the right abilities.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
old hand
old hand
There are other ways to deal with this issue, far better then a pasue.
All have been suggested already and the characters are much better at avoiding these surfaces already.

I would prefer something else then the pause, which does not belong into this game.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Hiver
I would prefer something else then the pause, which does not belong into this game.

Hmmm... The game is essentially in pause during combat, it's part of being turned based. What is odd is a turn based game having an element where you take damage in real-time.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by JoeBart
I would love a pause feature, or at the very least the ability to "unchain" my party after battle so they don't all go running through the fire to get to the leader.

An alternative would be to
  • Auto unchain party members after fight is over
  • Auto unchain party members that are standing in elemental damage area after fight is over
  • Have party members that are standing in elemental damge areas run from it when fight is over

veteran
veteran
Sounds like we need "unchain all" and "chain all" hotkeys...

Y
journeyman
journeyman
Y
Or make thier damn A.I in real time better so they run "around" the fire

W
stranger
stranger
W
"Auto-pause when a trap is spotted" was really great in Baldur's Gate and would be useful here.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Horrorscope

Hmmm... The game is essentially in pause during combat, it's part of being turned based. What is odd is a turn based game having an element where you take damage in real-time.

The game is not in Pause during combat. It is in turn based mode which is not a "pause". I know thats a distinction very difficult to understand.

what you would want is a pause in the real time part of the game, outside of the combat.
Which could then be abused in many different ways but actually isnt necessary.

The problem gets created because some surfaces deal too much damage too fast in combat and in real time that damage then goes ten times faster.
When the problem with those surfaces gets corrected - it will solve this whole problem.

Various suggestions about not allowing character to move themselves when you change formation or click to select a different character - would actually prevent any of the accidental cases of a character or companion walking into a deadly surface.

None of those require any kind of pausing,

But whatever, its Larian decision what to do about it.
They can just enable a pause and not fix any of the actual reasons for those problems.

And then i will have to worry about using a pause all the bloody time and rescue my characters from
deadly surfaces that they went in themselves - wrestling with that new pausing system - instead of playing a game without that happening at all!

If they want a quick fix, then such situation should start the TB combat mode, not a bloody "pause".
Which would then actually allow me to either heal that character or order him to walk out of that surface in a Turn or two.

Instead of being frozen in some bloody f`ing pause.

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
Originally Posted by Horrorscope

The game is not in Pause during combat. It is in turn based mode which is not a "pause". I know thats a distinction very difficult to understand.

what you would want is a pause in the real time part of the game, outside of the combat.
Which could then be abused in many different ways but actually isnt necessary.

The problem gets created because some surfaces deal too much damage too fast in combat and in real time that damage then goes ten times faster.
When the problem with those surfaces gets corrected - it will solve this whole problem.

Various suggestions about not allowing character to move themselves when you change formation or click to select a different character - would actually prevent any of the accidental cases of a character or companion walking into a deadly surface.

None of those require any kind of pausing,

But whatever, its Larian decision what to do about it.
They can just enable a pause and not fix any of the actual reasons for those problems.

And then i will have to worry about using a pause all the bloody time and rescue my characters from
deadly surfaces that they went in themselves - wrestling with that new pausing system - instead of playing a game without that happening at all!

If they want a quick fix, then such situation should start the TB combat mode, not a bloody "pause".
Which would then actually allow me to either heal that character or order him to walk out of that surface in a Turn or two.

Instead of being frozen in some bloody f`ing pause.

What specifically do you find so abhorrent with a pause feature?

Also, could you please expand your comment on how pausing in real time could be abused in many ways, providing specifics? I can't think of many instances at the moment.

Also, this would simply be a feature. Larian could correct the base issues causing players to request a pause feature, and still implement a pause feature. I'm not quite sure why you would be so worried "about using a pause all the bloody time." If it is in the game and you don't like it, simply don't use it. That makes everyone happy I would imagine. Unless of course you find the mere presence of a pause feature so distasteful as to completely ruin your game experience. In that case you would not be happy.

Last edited by JoeBart; 25/05/14 05:07 PM. Reason: Clarity
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard