Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Raze

I'd be fine if breaking containers gave less loot, or dropped the durability of any equipment inside, etc. It is a polishing feature, though, which (if implemented) needs to happen after all the loot tables are balanced, and given limited resources as the release approaches, may not be high on the to do list, even if Larian would like to do something like that.

I'm not sure. Do not forget Larian stated that Divine Divinity scored +10% for the english edition than the german one when it was released, and that only because the english one had a better loot algorithm. Of course, back then this included looting from npcs as well, and not only for the smashing/forcing style.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lotrotk

I'd be fine if breaking containers gave less loot, or dropped the durability of any equipment inside, etc. It is a polishing feature, though, which (if implemented) needs to happen after all the loot tables are balanced, and given limited resources as the release approaches, may not be high on the to do list, even if Larian would like to do something like that.

I'm not sure. Do not forget Larian stated that Divine Divinity scored +10% for the english edition than the german one when it was released, and that only because the english one had a better loot algorithm. Of course, back then this included looting from npcs as well, and not only for the smashing/forcing style.

Curious, what were the differences between the two editions?

Support
Support

Other than adjustment to loot, there were also some bug fixes (one mentioned was a pathfinding issue where characters could get hung up on minor obstructions, rather than walk around).

veteran
veteran
Doh, I should have clarified. I meant the difference between the two loot systems.

enthusiast
enthusiast
What's next... needing to put points into combat skills to be good at combat?

"Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that" - Leunig
Y
journeyman
journeyman
Y
Disagree.. don't want loot damaged because as earlier stated.. will worry too much about Aoe in combat messing with containers and vice versa.. keep it as is.

veteran
veteran
That's part of the fun no?
It's all turnbased anyway, so some extra complexity isn't bad...

R
stranger
stranger
R
I whole-heartedly agree that lock picking should not be bypassed by bashing. Why would you EVER take lock picking as a skill if all you need to do is carry around a spare axe to bash things?

After reviewing this thread and the original lock picking thread, the counter-arguments I'm seeing basically all say the same thing:

"Smashing chests should have no penalty because I want to spend all my points on combat skills."

This game is clearly not a min-max game, which is one reason why I look forward to its full release. If you want to have a combat only Diablo-style character, well then you should miss some of the non-combat game content (speech paths, items getting broken in chests, etc), because the character I make will be missing some of the combat content (by not being as good at fighting).

veteran
veteran
Hear hear... good arguments Rob2Kx!

H
stranger
stranger
H
I honestly was pretty surprised when I figured out that breaking a chest does not destroy the contents. I went into the game with that mindset, especially with the very stron Ultima 7 vibes it gave off from the start. I'm more for the damage items if you bash then the make chests and doors invulnerable. Doesn't make sense. But if you do that, then for the love of all that's holy in Rivellon, give us a source of lockpicks.. during our 24 hour romp I found exactly 1 set of lockpicks.. the mandatory ones in the tutorial dungeon. Nobody sells them, the rng gives eveyrthing but those.. same with trap disarm sets btw. If you want us to be rouges, give us the tools, too.

Support
Support
Originally Posted by hunvagy
give us a source of lockpicks..

Check the witchcraft vendor upstairs in the King Crab inn.

H
stranger
stranger
H
Originally Posted by hunvagy
give us a source of lockpicks..

Check the witchcraft vendor upstairs in the King Crab inn.

Wait.. there's a vendor up there? Curse me and not talking to every single person laugh Thanks for the tip. Guess that means Madora will have a Nasty Deeds future ahead of her next time.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Since many keys are listed in "ingredients", there could be a recipe to craft lockpicks (i would appreciate that).
It would be fine in my opionion if there would be chests and doors that can only be opened by using the right key, and locations you can't reach with teleport or jump. See, i don't have a problem with bypassing stuff or doing it in a different way, but there has to be some disadvantage to it, or something that equals things out (so if one spends 20mins to solve the puzzle and get the key, and someone else just bruteforces the door/chest, something should punish him for doing so). i am fine with the equipment damage, but damaged loot would also be okay (other games did this). i don't have a problem with different ways to use chests, also "unlock"-spells are fine, but just bashing stuff open with no disadvantage seems wrong.

with chests, what i would like to see is, that using spells or weapon dmg to open it damages the items (so that you can repair them), or has a chance to completely destroy them (so that you get only some leather or cloth scraps instead of armor or robes).

doors, i would say there should just be doors with that high levels that it would take hours to bash them open. most doors are level 10 in cyseal, takes long too, but is still sometimes the easier way to do it.

veteran
veteran
I would like Lockpicks to also be craftable with a hammer and needle (as in needle and thread).

E
stranger
stranger
E
Originally Posted by MaralDesa
Since many keys are listed in "ingredients", there could be a recipe to craft lockpicks (i would appreciate that).

Don't know for now, but with the last patch you could craft lockpicks by key + soap

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard