Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
addict
addict
Wow, Brainiac even managed to upset sweet caring loving Ellary !

Can't wait for the next funny episode. Gonna get a diet coke, brb.

@Joebart: I did ask brainiac to summary. It saves time, and what he says can be summarized in about 5 to 10 lines by normal people anyways. But well. I bow to the devs that must be wasting their time reading his verbal logorrhea.

Last edited by Cromcrom; 26/05/14 01:35 PM.

Un chemin de 1000 lieues commence par un premier pas.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tanist
Originally Posted by Ellary
*sighs* the difficulty slider is not even working yet, you do know this right?

Also you mentioned play through..so you know pretty much where to go and what to get. New players who will be buying and playing the game for the first time will not know this..If Larian made the game for just a small handful of people..their sales would be horrible O.O

Wait until the difficulty slider is working~

Personally, I think that the difficulty that is associated with not knowing the the game features or understanding how to use them isn't difficulty, but ignorance. Ignorance is not a proper measurement of challenge in a game.

For instance, chess does not become easier because you learned how all the pieces move. Understanding how to play the game is required from the start and the challenge is in each play of the game, not if someone forgot a rule or how a particular piece moves.

If the game becomes easy once someone knows all the rules and features, then it was never difficult in the first place. Rules don't make a game difficult, that difficulty is in the persons ability to learn the system which is irrelevant to actual game play.

And I honestly hope both you and Hiver understand.. that if the game was unplayable to a large group..sales would fail so hard. Bad game reviews would be posted all over and Larian could lose a lot of money and future support on games?

If you and Hiver want a truly hardcore experience. use the toolkit remove most of the loot and such yourself. Kinda funny how so many can love the game already~~

Note: on release if the toolkit is to hard for anyone I will be making a Hardcore mode. I made one for skyrim and every other game I was able to mod.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Cromcrom

@Joebart: I did ask brainiac to summary. It saves time, and what he says can be summarized in about 5 to 10 lines by normal people anyways. But well. I bow to the devs that must be wasting their time reading his verbal logorrhea.

<3 well can only push so far, and I dislike when people assume I am stupid~ as Hiver mentioned before claiming I don't understand things.. Sick of seeing him insult others also. So if he wants a brain battle~ I will have to slap on my nerd glasses and go to war.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T

Tip: Take a moment to read the forums, notice not everyone agrees on things? but they don't start acting all superior and slinging insults. No excuse for age or where you are from and make it acceptable to be rude. Also just because it is the internet and you will most likely never see someones face. They are still real people. Remember that.

Lets be fair here Ellary. While Hiver certainly lacks social tact when it comes to certain problems in discussions with others, the foundation of his objection was correct. People here took issue with his tone while ignoring his content. With some even acting like rude children:

Godammit, can't you just summary your thoughts ?

He was correct in his pointing out that people weren't reading his comments. For instance, your first response took issue with his tone and ignored the content of his discussion. I read his first post over and over trying to see if there was any merit in getting offended and I say none.

You took this comment:

Originally Posted by Hiver

Currently, the game is very, very easy.
A large part of the reactions about the game presumed difficulty that you can hear being talked about is actually coming from early players, beginners and various casual players who simply dont bother with any of the game numerous features or options.
Or have missed some of them by accident.

and took offense to his using the words "early players, beginners, and various casual players". As we can see, no derogatory tone was taken here. Like it or not, there are different types of players out there and "casual" is a common term that is not negative in its description.

Stabby, Hairyscottsman, and Horrorscope all responded to the discussion without negative comments or taking offense to the discussion. It wasn't until Cromcrom and you commented that the discussion was turned to accusation and negative focus. In fact, Hiver even responded to your post explaining you were wrong. Only offensive thing in it is that he says you either didn't read his post or misunderstood it. See here:

I think you either didnt read or didnt understand what im saying Ellary.

I am in fact saying that the normal mode as it is is alright. Baring some minor changes and adjustments. And that the devs can save themselves some time and resources by not doing the Hard difficult now - at all, but instead release it after a few months after the game comes out.

And that would have its own benefits too.

It would give them more time to concentrate to the core of the game experience for the majority of players - its normal mode. And it could result in a better hard difficulty later on.
To mention just the few main probable benefits.

An unorthodox approach to be sure but... wouldn't that be in line with the overall style and core design features of the game and Larian studios in general?

Seems you were a bit thin skinned and got angry at his response resulting in:

I don't even know what to say...I had something huge typed out..removing it as it will make no diff. =p

There was a couple more light attacks at Hiver and then several posts that met his objections (ie they didn't read his posts and were feeding off others who made accusations that conflicted with his posts).

After that, everything turned into just focusing on his attacks.

Now certainly, Hiver got nasty, and I am not saying it is proper, but if we follow the evidence here, his poor comments did not come about until people provoked him without cause, be it intentionally or not.

Last edited by Tanist; 26/05/14 02:04 PM.
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T

And I honestly hope both you and Hiver understand.. that if the game was unplayable to a large group..sales would fail so hard. Bad game reviews would be posted all over and Larian could lose a lot of money and future support on games?

I think that is irrelevant though don't you think? I mean, considering that Hiver never suggested that normal mode be made harder or that it be removed. My comment is specifically about game play and learning the rules to a game is not game play.

If you and Hiver want a truly hardcore experience. use the toolkit remove most of the loot and such yourself. Kinda funny how so many can love the game already~~

Or, since it already exists... they can simply make "hard mode" more difficult as Hiver was suggesting. Though even Hiver stated that there isn't much time so some changes to "hard" may not be feasible. Again, remember we are talking about making "hard" hard, not changing normal. This way, players can enjoy the lvel of play that you think will appeal to a broader audience and the hard mode can appeal to those looking for more of a challenge.

Note: on release if the toolkit is to hard for anyone I will be making a Hardcore mode. I made one for skyrim and every other game I was able to mod.

Then don't you think that the discussion should be on what Hiver was discussing? You do realize that his main goal in this discussion was about how to implement a proper hard mode?

addict
addict

Tip: Take a moment to read the forums, notice not everyone agrees on things? but they don't start acting all superior and slinging insults. No excuse for age or where you are from and make it acceptable to be rude. Also just because it is the internet and you will most likely never see someones face. They are still real people. Remember that.

Lets be fair here Ellary. While Hiver certainly lacks social tact when it comes to certain problems in discussions with others, the foundation of his objection was correct. People here took issue with his tone while ignoring his content. With some even acting like rude children:

He was correct in his pointing out that people weren't reading his comments. For instance, your first response took issue with his tone and ignored the content of his discussion. I read his first post over and over trying to see if there was any merit in getting offended and I say none.

You took this comment:

Currently, the game is very, very easy.
A large part of the reactions about the game presumed difficulty that you can hear being talked about is actually coming from early players, beginners and various casual players who simply dont bother with any of the game numerous features or options.
Or have missed some of them by accident.

and took offense to his using the words "early players, beginners, and various casual players". As we can see, no derogatory tone was taken here. Like it or not, there are different types of players out there and "casual" is a common term that is not negative in its description.

Stabby, Hairyscottsman, and Horrorscope all responded to the discussion without negative comments or taking offense to the discussion. It wasn't until Cromcrom and you commented that the discussion was turned to accusation and negative focus. In fact, Hiver even responded to your post explaining you were wrong. Only offensive thing in it is that he says you either didn't read his post or misunderstood it. See here:

I think you either didnt read or didnt understand what im saying Ellary.

I am in fact saying that the normal mode as it is is alright. Baring some minor changes and adjustments. And that the devs can save themselves some time and resources by not doing the Hard difficult now - at all, but instead release it after a few months after the game comes out.

And that would have its own benefits too.

It would give them more time to concentrate to the core of the game experience for the majority of players - its normal mode. And it could result in a better hard difficulty later on.
To mention just the few main probable benefits.

An unorthodox approach to be sure but... wouldn't that be in line with the overall style and core design features of the game and Larian studios in general?

Seems you were a bit thin skinned and got angry at his response resulting in:

[quote=Hiver]I think you either didnt read or didnt understand what im saying Ellary.

I don't even know what to say...I had something huge typed out..removing it as it will make no diff. =p

There was a couple more light attacks at Hiver and then several posts that met his objections (ie they didn't read his posts and were feeding off others who made accusations that conflicted with his posts).

After that, everything turned into just focusing on his attacks.

Now certainly, Hiver got nasty, and I am not saying it is proper, but if we follow the evidence here, his poor comments did not come about until people provoked him without cause, be it intentionally or not.

You can try all you want convince me poor Hiver was provoked. That mind game won't work here~

His argument is not even valid. Nor is yours~ Can sugar coat it all you want. Honestly this entire thread just needs to be deleted. nothing but an unneeded eyesore on the forums. Nothing good or productive has come of it.

To Larian~ if you do read these messages. Please continue as you are. The game is beyond what most would have expected. Toolkit mods will take care of all these little things people want changed.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T

<3 well can only push so far, and I dislike when people assume I am stupid~ as Hiver mentioned before claiming I don't understand things.. Sick of seeing him insult others also. So if he wants a brain battle~ I will have to slap on my nerd glasses and go to war.

He didn't call you stupid. He said you either misunderstood or didn't read what he wrote. I agree that this was the case. As I said, I read his initial response you took issue with and did not see a case for your objection to him. I think you getting upset at him suggesting the "either or" as he did is a bit thin skinned being that your response was one of misunderstanding. No need to get upset about that though, that doesn't make someone stupid.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T

You can try all you want convince me poor Hiver was provoked. That mind game won't work here~

I am not here defending him. I think it is obvious that Hiver's comments were heated and inappropriate. I was commenting on the logic of the discussion only, to which Hiver is correct with his claims concerning the responses to the content of his discussion (ie people weren't inferring valid summaries of his discussion).

His argument is not even valid. Nor is yours~ Can sugar coat it all you want. Honestly this entire thread just needs to be deleted. nothing but an unneeded eyesore on the forums. Nothing good or productive has come of it.

So just like that you are going to make an accusation and disregard all of the evidence of discussion I provided to the contrary? I hope you realize such action on your part disqualifies you from establishing a valid (or even sound) argument.

Edit:

BTW Ellary,

What makes someone stupid is not ignorance or error, rather arrogance in the face of it.

Last edited by Tanist; 26/05/14 02:18 PM.
Y
journeyman
journeyman
Y

Also you mentioned play through..so you know pretty much where to go and what to get. New players who will be buying and playing the game for the first time will not know this..If Larian made the game for just a small handful of people..their sales would be horrible O.O

Personally, I think that the difficulty that is associated with not knowing the the game features or understanding how to use them isn't difficulty, but ignorance. Ignorance is not a proper measurement of challenge in a game.

For instance, chess does not become easier because you learned how all the pieces move. Understanding how to play the game is required from the start and the challenge is in each play of the game, not if someone forgot a rule or how a particular piece moves.

If the game becomes easy once someone knows all the rules and features, then it was never difficult in the first place. Rules don't make a game difficult, that difficulty is in the persons ability to learn the system which is irrelevant to actual game play.

Finally someone who understands what i've been saying.. thank you Ellary... they don't realize that teaching the rules and systems of crafting and combat and such isn't hand holding... its teaching how the pieces move .. very well put post... And they don't understand that for the game to be succesfull it needs to teach NEW players how to play lol.. not just cater to the hardcore here in the forums... And they don't realize the majority of ppl don't load a game to go to work.. they load it to play... They want well thought out directions/lore... they want to be shown how things work... they don't want to wander around for an hour searching for a certain npc for a quest.. or having to search forums and guides to figure out the crafting system... etc etc.

Last edited by ynotndalton; 26/05/14 02:47 PM.
addict
addict

I am not here defending him. I think it is obvious that Hiver's comments were heated and inappropriate. I was commenting on the logic of the discussion only, to which Hiver is correct with his claims concerning the responses to the content of his discussion (ie people weren't inferring valid summaries of his discussion).

So just like that you are going to make an accusation and disregard all of the evidence of discussion I provided to the contrary? I hope you realize such action on your part disqualifies you from establishing a valid (or even sound) argument.

Edit:

BTW Ellary,

What makes someone stupid is not ignorance or error, rather arrogance in the face of it.

*finger twirl* tell me how the weather is way up there~ call it Arrogance..I call it common sense.

Beauty of it all, I can log off happy. Log into Divinity Happy and enjoy myself in a wonderful game.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by ynotndalton

Finally someone who understands what i've been saying.. thank you Ellary... they don't realize that teaching the rules and systems of crafting and combat and such isn't hand holding... its teaching how the pieces move .. very well put post... And they don't understand that for the game to be succesfull it needs to teach NEW players how to play lol.. not just cater to the hardcore here in the forums...

So true, the more user friendly a game is the better the sales will be. Word of mouth (well fingers of sharing? I guess would call it now) sharing their enjoyable experience on Divinity original sin on social medias will bring more sales.

And yeah! as a base game it is amazing, to me its like artistic clay~ once I play around with it..I can start changing it \o/ ^_^

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T

Finally someone who understands what i've been saying.. thank you Ellary... they don't realize that teaching the rules and systems of crafting and combat and such isn't hand holding... its teaching how the pieces move .. very well put post... And they don't understand that for the game to be succesfull it needs to teach NEW players how to play lol.. not just cater to the hardcore here in the forums...

ynotndalton, I don't think anyone here is suggesting teaching rules and systems is "hand holding". My point to which Ellary was responding was that having to learn rules and systems is not a component of the games difficulty (which she was suggesting in a previous post). As I pointed out to Ellary, the game could be extremely complex in its systems, but dreadfully easy in play.

Also, keep in mind that nobody here is suggesting that the games normal difficulty be increased. This discussion is about hard mode and the possible changes to it that can give it difficulty without applying tired standards of implementation.

Keep in mind that games used to ship with very detailed manuals to which the player read before they played in order to properly play the game. There is nothing wrong with a learning area (which is why I think they put in the tutorial), but there is a limit as to what your target audience is.

Trying to make a game for EVERYONE is what caused games to become the bland pointless ventures most are today. There comes a point where you decide who your audience is and market to them. That market is the Ultima VII fan crowd and anyone who shares a love for similar systems.

Last edited by Tanist; 26/05/14 02:54 PM.
Y
journeyman
journeyman
Y
And its funny how they can't see the difference in that and hand holding lol.. its beyond me.
Remember the days of 100 page manuals... that wasn't hand holding it was awesome.. it prepped you and got you readdy for all the games systems... divinity won't have that.. so it needs to be very transparent in its systems or it will fail... simple.

This is not hand holding...

addict
addict
Originally Posted by cromcrom

Ok, I am sorry I said "Godammit", such a nasty, upsetting word. That's worth starting to flame everythings around, truly.

heated
Heated ? Personnaly insulting sounds better, like in many threads on this forum. Even I as a major jerk here, was always carefull not to insult someone directly (beside Larian, aw well....).

Still, brainiac, can you summary your thougths ? It's also a proof of intelligence, you know. Saves everybody's time. And not insulting people directly might lead your posts to be discussed, not your spoiled attitude for 2 pages.

Un chemin de 1000 lieues commence par un premier pas.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T

Still, brainiac, can you summary your thougths ? It's also a proof of intelligence, you know. Saves everybody's time. And not insulting people directly might lead your posts to be discussed, not your spoiled attitude for 2 pages.

Debatable. I don't know of any IQ standards to which test according to such means, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible to make an argument as such. You however have't established that as a valid premise, so we can take it with a grain of salt.

On the opposite side, one could make an equally flippant claim that ones inability to properly discern the key important points from their reading to be a lack of intelligence.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
And its funny how they can't see the difference in that and hand holding lol.. its beyond me.
Remember the days of 100 page manuals... that wasn't hand holding it was awesome.. it prepped you and got you readdy for all the games systems... divinity won't have that.. so it needs to be very transparent in its systems or it will fail... simple.

This is not hand holding...

I agree, manuals solve all these issues, but... let us be realistic here. Do you honestly think those same people who complain constantly about a game being too hard would read the manual in the first place? How many MMORPGs have you played where someone yells out "Where do I find this" when it was noted directly within their quest text?

Y
journeyman
journeyman
Y
Everyone is arguing with everyone based on opinions alone lol.. such arguments can't ever be truly won.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Everyone is arguing with everyone based on opinions alone lol.. such arguments can't ever be truly won.

Opinions can be invalid though (improperly reasoned and rooted in fallacy), so not all are equal in that respect.

Read this whole thread, what is it talking about? What were the objections here and were they founded in properly reasoned logic, or were they unsupported accusations of fallacious means?

The main point of this discussion was how to make "hard" mode more difficult based on the evaluation Hiver gave as to why the game was too easy.

The "opinons" here should be about what people think would work and would not concerning those systems, but instead it has devolved into petty emotional contests and objections.

Y
journeyman
journeyman
Y

Opinions can be invalid though (improperly reasoned and rooted in fallacy), so not all are equal in that respect.

Read this whole thread, what is it talking about? What were the objections here and were they founded in properly reasoned logic, or were they unsupported accusations of fallacious means?

The main point of this discussion was how to make "hard" mode more difficult based on the evaluation Hiver gave as to why the game was too easy.

The "opinons" here should be about what people think would work and would not concerning those systems, but instead it has devolved into petty emotional contests and objections.

Lol i see it... its turned into.. no my way of thinking is better... no mine is... no mine... etc etc
But thats forums for you...

Last edited by ynotndalton; 26/05/14 03:18 PM.
veteran
veteran

Yeah. I think that this thread should be closed, because it's not really about the game anymore, just a bunch of pointless drama.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard