Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Hiver #497122 28/05/14 05:05 PM
Hiver Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
My argument is that the damage received by the player from Fire and poison surfaces in the environment should be affected by his resistance to the element - at that precise time, whether it is achieved through potions or food or equipment or otherwise - at that precise moment.

Not by levels, not by any level scaling.

Such surfaces, the burning ground, or lava or burning dead soldiers, furniture and the like should also be further balanced in their output and amount of damage.
I mean that various burning and poisonous surfaces should not cause that much damage, that fast as they do now.

Because the current amounts of damage and how fast it happens is just ridiculous.
Adjusting that would not make it weak. It will just make it playable.

It is unplayable now because the amounts and speed of damage gained from them are not properly adjusted or balanced and any resistances dont play a role in that in any way. As far as ive seen.

Right now just brush some deadly surface and you literally light up like a matchstick or just receive numerous damage hits from poison - so fast that you dont have time to click on any potion or some spell.

In combat such fiery burning surface kill almost all enemies in a turn or two at the most. Once an enemy or my character catches fire - its over. You are mostly instantly dead. Or you never get a chance to use some potion or cast a spell on that character.

Currently, a low level fire spell like Firefly (creates a burning surface on the ground) is a literal win button in almost all encounters. for 95% of the game. That spell is more powerful then any other - including the fiery meteor storm that the end boss can use.

All that could be mitigated if resistance would actually incrementally lower the amount of damage and how fast it burns. Having some resistance should lower damage just a bit - but also lower its rate - how fast the element creates damage.

It would still be plenty dangerous.
And deadly if you dont have proper equipment and potions and food. Or protective spells.
Additionally - protective spells now basically just give you immunity over it.
You either burn like a matchstick or youre completely immune?

Thats just cheap. And it plays horribly.
(those spells are all high level so you cant get them for most of the beta or at all if you dont have that magic skill and at most you have a few scrolls of them with you which are enough for one situation)

Suggestion:

Lower the speed and rate at which we get damage from these surfaces into something at least theoretically manageable and playable.

Enable resistance to that element to reduce these factors even further - but incrementally. Not too much.

As for the levels and the early start of the game...

Going out into the western area is not early game. By that time the player is already on level 3 - or 4, depending on how much youve done in the city. (and by that time you are or you should be full of all kinds of potions, equipment and food which gives various resistances)

Just somehow making the undead in the western area be that easy and gimped as Thorska suggest would work directly against the narrative, against the story and the plot.

Those undead defeated the whole legion. And they are besieging the city.
If they are that much ineffective and weak as thorska would make them - then any three or four Legionnares could go out and simply wipe the whole area clean.
Any two stronger Orcs could clean up anything in the game, save some bosses.

... and that just doesnt make any sense at all.

There are other, mush simpler ways to make it clear to the players that they shouldnt go out too early. Rather then to destroy internal coherence and consistency of the game main narrative and plot.

One of them could be simply locking all other gates except the western one.
Or preventing the player to leave the city until he got to some stage of his original main quest - the murder case. Thus ensuring the players are at some appropriate level before they exit the city and go fight "nasty" undead - which are actually relatively easy in the western area.

The narrative and the plot would support this. Easily.

Hiver #497141 28/05/14 06:30 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Just one thought regarding the poison damage:

I also think that the damage done by poison should not be based on the character level but on the poison resistance. However, as an idea, what about introducing different kinds of poison into the game? I mean, in real life there are poisons of different strengths (ranging from just causing the nausea to deadly ones) - so why shouldn't such a system be also implemented into the game? So, as an example, let us say that a level 3 zombie who was rotting just for a few years should be less poisonous than a level 15 zombie who was rotting for a few centuries. I think such a system would alleviate the insane poison damage done at the beginning of the game while poison will become increasingly more dangerous when the game progresses.

Last edited by Elwyn; 28/05/14 06:32 PM.
Hiver #497150 28/05/14 06:55 PM
Support
Support
Originally Posted by Hiver
Thanks for reading it.

Sorry, I was skimming, as it was late enough then to be early here, and I was in the process of exiting out of everything.

ynotndalton #497152 28/05/14 07:09 PM
Hiver Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I think that realistically speaking, the team cannot introduce new types of damage into the game this close to release.

And if you just lower the damage according to the level of zombies then its just level scaling it.
Which leaves us back at the current stage.

Originally Posted by Tanist
Hmm... I wonder how hard it would be to rework the way the fire progresses in damage. Yes, you guys say it scales, but maybe the issue is not a static scaling that is needed, but an exponential progression of damage that would allow them to tune the problems of taking too much damage too fast and yet still make being in fire a nasty thing? So, lets say your first few rounds are much lighter on damage (to simulate that you have clothing and armor protecting from the immediate heat), but then... over time (few rounds), that damage begins to scale up quite quickly, maybe even higher than it currently is.

This would give people time to react, but also keep fire and other like elements deadly. /shrug

Edit:

I may be missing things, I haven't played the game so if I am ignorant of something and not making sense, just disregard.

The thing is that right now, damage from the fire and poisonous surfaces isnt well balanced.

To become balanced you would first need to get it to some reasonable levels.
And then adjust that as necessary.

I would not want for fire or other such environmental dangers to become any less dangerous. Actually.

Just - sane.

Playable.

My character should take damage and be in extreme danger from these elements, whether in environmental or weaponized form - but i should have at least a possibility of mitigating it somehow - through the existing game mechanics and skills and spells.

Character or enemies should not burst into flames and burn out as if they are made out of gasoline.

Unless there is a specific reason for it.
Undead like skeletons being more sensitive to fire damage due to their generally expected .. qualities.

btw, appreciate that interdiction up there.
i would advise not wasting too much time on it anyway.

ynotndalton too.

Originally Posted by ynotndalton
Maybe they could put a natural "resistance" on player char's depending on level of char.. at level 1 your fire resistance naturally "not visible to player as in thier stats" but a invisible stat that would make fire seem to not hurt you as much and as you level up this invisible stat lowers so it "appears" fire is getting more dangerous at later levels but at the same time visible stat of resistance might be counteracting it... wow complicated balancing lol

There is plenty of almost permanent resistance in the game achievable through equipment that has such resistances.

So nothing - according to level - is needed.

Well, except that these types of damage do scale to players level, as Stabbey reported... which could be atleast normalized.

But all the same, i think it would feel and play much better if the player had a sense that their equipment and various items do contribute to these environmental effects.

Originally Posted by Raze
Thanks for reading it.

Sorry, I was skimming, as it was late enough then to be early here, and I was in the process of exiting out of everything.

Not a biggie anyway. I was just saying.

Elwyn #497155 28/05/14 07:14 PM
veteran
veteran
I agree completely that fire and poison damage is too high and kills too fast. This is the reason I was complaining about the Poisoncloud arrows on the archers.

I don't really understand the idea of poison resistance lowering the "rate" at which it creates damage. It's a turn-based game, stuff ticks once a round minimum, I don't see how the rate could be changed. Maybe increase to one tick every two rounds, but in my view, that would make that status much less threatening.

I am not against the principle of poison and fire damage increasing in power as your character levels up. (I think that's integrated into the skill system changes to make spells more effective as you level up, to keep them from becoming completely obsolete.) I do think that the current amount of damage those do is too high. To me, the simplest solution is just to lower the base damage or formula it's based on.

Firefly is bugged and has a 4 meter radius when it should have only a 1 meter radius (and it is listed as having a 1m radius in the description).

Going out into the western area is not early game. By that time the player is already on level 3 - or 4, depending on how much youve done in the city.

No matter how much you repeat this, you are wrong. The Western Cyseal area IS early game. You will only have fought between two and four battles by the time you can visit Western Cyseal (add two more if you find the graveyard tunnel, which not everyone will find).

1. Babby's first combat tutorial: the Cursed Servants everyone can sleep through.
2. (Optional) The sneak/surface tutorial fight. Also sleep-walkable.
3. (Optional) The two guards at the bridge. This is tougher, but completely optional.
4. The Orc fight outside the harbour gates. The first real challenge, as the Shaman's fireball has the potential to one-shot low-CON characters and burn the other at the same time.
5. (Missable) The undead mage in the graveyard tunnel. Not a tough fight, but the tunnel is not possible to miss from inside Cyseal.
6. (Missable) The skeletal scorcher fight. Quite tough early on, but as above, completely missable.

So there are only TWO mandatory fights before you can enter West Cyseal, and of those two, one is nigh-impossible to lose. Enemies outside West Cyseal start at level 3. Since the maximum level is supposed to be in the 20's, how is level 3 out of 20 not "early game"?

Going out into the western area is not early game. By that time the player is already on level 3 - or 4, depending on how much youve done in the city. (and by that time you are or you should be full of all kinds of potions, equipment and food which gives various resistances)

Are you making the ASSUMPTION that every single player will do every single quest within Cyseal's walls, and they are also robbing the place blind, and they're all trying out every single food item in the game and writing down what they all do? That's a valid playstyle, but that should not be required for every player.

Originally Posted by Elwyn

I also think that the damage done by poison should not be based on the character level but on the poison resistance. However, as an idea, what about introducing different kinds of poison into the game? I mean, in real life there are poisons of different strengths (ranging from just causing the nausea to deadly ones) - so why shouldn't such a system be also implemented into the game?

The general reason is because if games treated poison more like real-life, then it would be excessively complicated.

Last edited by Stabbey; 28/05/14 07:17 PM. Reason: stuff
Hiver #497157 28/05/14 07:17 PM
Y
journeyman
journeyman
Y
Maybe they can seperate real time elemental/poison damage from turn based.. my problems are in real time usually... instant death.

Last edited by ynotndalton; 28/05/14 07:17 PM.
ynotndalton #497158 28/05/14 07:18 PM
veteran
veteran
Maybe they can seperate real time elemental/poison damage from turn based.. my problems are in real time usually... instant death.

Doesn't solve the root issue. It's nearly-instant death in turn-based too.

Stabbey #497161 28/05/14 07:26 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Stabbey

I also think that the damage done by poison should not be based on the character level but on the poison resistance. However, as an idea, what about introducing different kinds of poison into the game? I mean, in real life there are poisons of different strengths (ranging from just causing the nausea to deadly ones) - so why shouldn't such a system be also implemented into the game?

The general reason is because if games treated poison more like real-life, then it would be excessively complicated.

You should have quoted my next sentence as well hehe I am not actually proposing that Larian introduces something like "pink" poison for low-damage and "green" poison for high-damage. What I am saying is that the poison-damage inflicted could be based on the level of the creature (like level 3 zombie and level 5 zombie) - with the ostensible explanation that a high-level zombie was rotting longer than a low-level zombie.

This would not be level-scaling on the character's level but would be rather based on the mob's level. And this would not even be a new unprecedented system in D:OS - I mean right now the HP of mobs and their physical damage output is also based on their level (and their weapon), isn't it? Generally speaking: higher level mobs -> higher damage output. So, why shouldn't this system be also extended to poison?

Last edited by Elwyn; 28/05/14 07:27 PM.
Elwyn #497163 28/05/14 07:32 PM
veteran
veteran
This would not be level-scaling on the character's level but would be rather based on the mob's level. And this would not even be a new unprecedented system in D:OS - I mean right now the HP of mobs and their physical damage output is also based on their level (and their weapon), isn't it? Generally speaking: higher level mobs -> higher damage output. So, why shouldn't this system be also extended to poison?

My guess - which I have said before a few times now - is that it's because Poisoned, Burning, and Bleeding status effects also receive level scaling like skills and spells do, and like how health increases as your level increases.

Hiver #497165 28/05/14 07:42 PM
Hiver Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
The "rate" or speed relates to how fast you are killed - especially in real time accidents, but it applies to TB portion too since each time such element hurts you it hurts you for several separate amounts of damage. That just pile up - very fast. 40!- 50! - 55! - 70! Your dead!

Why?

Whats the bloody point?

Most of the time i dont get to a turn by any of my other characters before one who just stepped on such a surface burns out like a matchstick.

How are the fights in the underground missable if you say that the tunnel is not possible to miss from inside the Cysael?
Just wandering. Mistake in writing?

Neither of those fights are tough, anyway. Unless you do completely wrong things like trying to melee the scorcher...

Im not making any assumption and the player does not need to "do every single quest in the town, rob the place blind or try every single food item".

All a player needs is to follow the first steps in the murder quest, steal everything from the major house, Esmeralda house and maybe mortician and Aureus - Arhu place - which are all the most direct places that the main murder plot leads you to. All easily findable. Most players will do that and loot every barrel and box lying around.

If the player then discovers the underground tunnel he gets those few easy fights and a lot more loot.

You do need to try three or four food items which is not anything mysterious at all. Tutorial tells you to and you do find out soon enough that some food heals you which means you will eat most of the basic food types that come your way. Apples being intentionally positioned in the several mandatory places you get to visit.

Its not my fault that you simply disregarded all these directions, advices and hints and just went out and got killed a few times.

That's a valid playstyle, but that should not be required for every player.

Why would it be required for every player to have a completely neutered area of the game just because a few other players cant read, dont want to read and just skip over things?
Why would that mean that the story and narrative of the game need to be destroyed and made even more incoherent?

What sense would it make in the narrative of the game?
Dont you know thats called design for the lowest common denominators?

Why not - instead - just close the damn gates?

You are there to solve the murder, not to go hack and slash undead outside the city.
The murder is directly connected to the undead problem - therefore - should you not discover that first and - then go out, looking at where that connection leads?

- why not put the entrance to the tunnel under the Jakes grave? Instead on the side there - with visibly larger mound of dirt over - and still have "some players" miss it.

Why not add a witness that someone was there during the night, digging?

Why not make a better tutorial to emphasize more the use of food items for players that keep missing it in present quite decent form?

Why not use the tutorial to emphasize that there are enemies that use the bloody poisons and that you should use equipment and food items to counter that?

Why not make those resistances have a bigger role that i suggest - so even when it comes to weapons and spells effects - that environmental damage doesnt kill you that fast - that easily?

Why the bloody hell is the worst possible solution the first one that comes to mind?
As if there is no other?

There is - plenty.

Stabbey #497166 28/05/14 07:50 PM
veteran
veteran

Don't know if I agree with that. There is obviously infinite more time to react to elemental damage in a turn-based setting versus real-time (unless you're a world object.. which seems to strangely burn in real-time regardless of being in the middle of a turn-based encounter). And once the element is properly removed it isn't a danger in the subsequent turn.

Honestly, my biggest problem with elemental damage encountered outside of combat is that it doesn't trigger turn-based combat immediately - although I can definitely see how that could get annoying fast. Then again, so is an accidental misstep that causes your character to die to the elements before you can react.

Gyson #497168 28/05/14 07:56 PM
Y
journeyman
journeyman
Y
Originally Posted by Gyson
[quote=ynotndalton]Maybe they can seperate real time elemental/poison damage from turn based.. my problems are in real time usually... instant death.

Don't know if I agree with that. There is obviously infinite more time to react to elemental damage in a turn-based setting versus real-time (unless you're a world object.. which seems to strangely burn in real-time regardless of being in the middle of a turn-based encounter). And once the element is properly removed it isn't a danger in the subsequent turn.

Honestly, my biggest problem with elemental damage encountered outside of combat is that it doesn't trigger turn-based combat immediately - although I can definitely see how that could get annoying fast. Then again, so is an accidental misstep that causes your character to die to the elements before you can react.

[/quote

need a pause button lol..

Hiver #497171 28/05/14 09:35 PM
C
stranger
stranger
C

Why not - instead - just close the damn gates?

You are there to solve the murder, not to go hack and slash undead outside the city.
The murder is directly connected to the undead problem - therefore - should you not discover that first and - then go out, looking at where that connection leads?

- why not put the entrance to the tunnel under the Jakes grave? Instead on the side there - with visibly larger mound of dirt over - and still have "some players" miss it.

I genuinely hope you're being sarcastic.
I prefer the storyline being semi-linear, like it is, but not forced. Let us decide which quests to do in what order, how to explore the world and so on. This is supposed to be a world of freedom. Players are encouraged to do things their way, solve problems their way. Throwing locks on the gates forces a progression on the player to do things the Devs' ways. There is supposed to be trial and error. Deaths before learning what not to do. Like the exploding grave outside the healer's house. Should you have dug it up? No. After a game over, you will know not to next time. Should you have exited out to find lv6 Orcs at lv2? No, probably not, but hopefully you can just flee anyway.

Gyson #497179 28/05/14 10:38 PM
veteran
veteran
The "rate" or speed relates to how fast you are killed - especially in real time accidents, but it applies to TB portion too since each time such element hurts you it hurts you for several separate amounts of damage. That just pile up - very fast. 40!- 50! - 55! - 70! Your dead!

Oh, I see. Yes, that's one issue. It may possibly be related to the double-hitting spell effects though.

All a player needs is to follow the first steps in the murder quest, steal everything from the major house, Esmeralda house and maybe mortician and Aureus - Arhu place - which are all the most direct places that the main murder plot leads you to.

Some people do not want to roleplay their Source Hunters as thieves.

It's not about reaction time. It's about damage. Fix the damage, and you don't need to do any other fixes taking into account real-time or turn-based.

Stabbey #497183 28/05/14 11:15 PM
veteran
veteran

It's not about reaction time. It's about damage. Fix the damage, and you don't need to do any other fixes taking into account real-time or turn-based.

Disagree. I feel it's unfair (and bad design) for one player to take more damage (and durability damage?) by environmental effects than another player simply because they have a slower twitch/reaction time *in a game with turn-based combat*. No matter how you tweak the damage, there will still be a reaction-time problem as the amount of damage you take is directly linked to your reaction time.

Chrislafeken #497189 28/05/14 11:59 PM
Hiver Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Seems the issue of damage may be fixed with this current update.

besides,
Taking loot in rpgs isnt really stealing and i doubt you would find many who would roleplay like that.

Even if they wouldnt "steal" there is plenty of loot anyway.
But that also may be changed now. For the better.

Originally Posted by Chrislafeken

I genuinely hope you're being sarcastic.
I prefer the storyline being semi-linear, like it is, but not forced. Let us decide which quests to do in what order, how to explore the world and so on. This is supposed to be a world of freedom.

It cant be "semi-linear" and "world of freedom". As in some kind of absolute freedom.
You cant really go anywhere you please here.

Throwing locks on the gates forces a progression on the player to do things the Devs' ways.

You always do things devs way.
But, in this case, it wouldnt be forcing you to anything - just making sure you are more focused on the murder quest through the game start. Such a change would need some more adjustments in clues and hints so this part goes a bit faster, but you would be outside relatively fast.

... Its only theoretical anyway.
It wont happen.

Its not that i would want that - actually. I was just saying i would rather have that as an answer to all those that complain how the game is too difficult and punishing (i dont think so) - then to have enemies being made weaker in any way.

Which wouldnt fit with the story, really.

There is supposed to be trial and error. Deaths before learning what not to do.
Explain that to Stabbey here. I dont have a problem with that.

Stabbey #497193 29/05/14 12:24 AM
T
apprentice
apprentice
T

Going out into the western area is not early game. By that time the player is already on level 3 - or 4, depending on how much youve done in the city.

No matter how much you repeat this, you are wrong. The Western Cyseal area IS early game. You will only have fought between two and four battles by the time you can visit Western Cyseal (add two more if you find the graveyard tunnel, which not everyone will find).

1. Babby's first combat tutorial: the Cursed Servants everyone can sleep through.
2. (Optional) The sneak/surface tutorial fight. Also sleep-walkable.
3. (Optional) The two guards at the bridge. This is tougher, but completely optional.
4. The Orc fight outside the harbour gates. The first real challenge, as the Shaman's fireball has the potential to one-shot low-CON characters and burn the other at the same time.
5. (Missable) The undead mage in the graveyard tunnel. Not a tough fight, but the tunnel is not possible to miss from inside Cyseal.
6. (Missable) The skeletal scorcher fight. Quite tough early on, but as above, completely missable.

So there are only TWO mandatory fights before you can enter West Cyseal, and of those two, one is nigh-impossible to lose. Enemies outside West Cyseal start at level 3. Since the maximum level is supposed to be in the 20's, how is level 3 out of 20 not "early game"?

Are you making the ASSUMPTION that every single player will do every single quest within Cyseal's walls, and they are also robbing the place blind, and they're all trying out every single food item in the game and writing down what they all do? That's a valid playstyle, but that should not be required for every player.

Not only that :
There is no door on the western entrance near the mortician's shop. So you think it's the easiest place to start with.
Aureus gives you a quest to find soldiers near the lighthouse.
You want to test combat with Madora/Jahan

Once you've played the game once you will explore the city first to get stuff, reach level 4, and be prepared to face poison.
But how many players on this forum did it on their first playthrough ?
How many found the tunnel ?
How many found Madora and Jahan ?

I insist that the first encounter in front of this entrance should not use poison, at least on the easy and normal difficulty settings.
Every new player will try to go there at level 2 and get killed if you leave the poison.
Have the undeads there deal enough physical damage to force you to use healing potions, and perhaps to retreat to the city. It's a good hint that you have to explore the city first without the need to reload the game. ( and it's not breaking the story )

thorska #497195 29/05/14 12:41 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Once you've played the game once you will explore the city first to get stuff, reach level 4, and be prepared to face poison.

To save time, that would be me in all three cases. But then I've played games before. There are probably a few other players who will have used a computer previously. I'd put money on it if I were a betting man.

I insist that the first encounter in front of this entrance should not use poison, at least on the easy and normal difficulty settings.
Every new player will try to go there at level 2 and get killed if you leave the poison.
Have the undeads there deal enough physical damage to force you to use healing potions, and perhaps to retreat to the city. It's a good hint that you have to explore the city first without the need to reload the game. ( and it's not breaking the story )

Insist away, do. It's not condescending at all. And it's fascinating to learn how I play, what I want, and what I enjoy. It's nice to have someone finally be able to describe me and what I do; I've been left wondering so often.

Yes, I know, the tone in this forum has gone all to hell in the last week or so - Hiver, cromcrom, you're not the only ones to ratchet it up, but you're among the first - but please. A bit of self-awareness, maybe?

PeteNewell #497198 29/05/14 01:22 AM
J
journeyman
journeyman
J
Originally Posted by PeteNewell

To save time, that would be me in all three cases. But then I've played games before. There are probably a few other players who will have used a computer previously. I'd put money on it if I were a betting man.

Ok, I've played games before as well. I did not find Jahan on my first go through. Quite honestly, I wanted to get out and slay undead. I had my murder mystery quest, and through that I learned of the Lighthouse. Aureas himself says starting West would be a good start. So I did. There was a quest in my journal that I wanted to complete.

I also did not run through the city trying to level my characters. I wanted to go fight something lol.

If this is the design of the game, that is fine. But don't pretend the average gamer is going to spend a good amount of time looting the city and doing all the quests there. They're going to want to get in a real fight, as all the time they've spent on the game to this point has resulted in pretty mundane battles.

Originally Posted by PeteNewell

Insist away, do. It's not condescending at all. And it's fascinating to learn how I play, what I want, and what I enjoy. It's nice to have someone finally be able to describe me and what I do; I've been left wondering so often.

Yes, I know, the tone in this forum has gone all to hell in the last week or so - Hiver, cromcrom, you're not the only ones to ratchet it up, but you're among the first - but please. A bit of self-awareness, maybe?

I too think the first battles with the first skeletons should be limited to single target poison effects. AOE poison arrows at the start were brutal when I began the game.

Unless you all are speaking of the zombies out the north gate, in which case I think it's pretty clear you're not supposed to go that way early.

Hiver #497199 29/05/14 01:49 AM
veteran
veteran
Seems the issue of damage may be fixed with this current update.

Unfortunately not. Contacting a burning surface outside of combat still kills characters inside of 2 seconds.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard