Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
The event is mainly advertised as a partnership with CDPR for Witcher 3 reveals but also mentions something about a new project by GOG so this all got me thinking.....the usual press conferences contain plenty of game announcements and Original Sin is not yet up for preorder on GOG but we know it will be there at release so that conference seems like the perfect place to give Original Sin some extra exposure and remind people to say hell no to Steam and DRM. Here's a link about the conference for those that don't know what I'm talking about: http://www.gog.com/news/cd_projekt_red_gogcom_summer_conference

enthusiast
enthusiast
Good question. Also good question : will Original Sin be at E3? I know it has been before.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Lotrotk
Good question. Also good question : will Original Sin be at E3? I know it has been before.

If they can actually get any exposure there sure....but I never saw any news come out about Original Sin at E3 or Larian and the whole show was stolen by Sony with Microsoft spectacularly shooting themselves in the foot and pretty much everything else was drowned.

Beyond that I view E3 as mostly being for and about consoles, granted most games there do release on PC too but the demo stations are consoles and you have the big console manufacturers leading the press conferences before the big publishers have theirs so that puts a small independent company like Larian who wants to show a PC only game in a very awkward spot even if everyone should take their eyes off whatever they're looking at and take notice of one of the very few best games at the whole show.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 31/05/14 03:04 PM.
addict
addict
E3 is more about upcomming games and new technologies than released ones...

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Chaotica
E3 is more about upcomming games and new technologies than released ones...

Well Original Sin is not released yet, the beta doesn't exactly count and the fact the release is almost at hand it would be perfect if they could get exposure there but I don't think they can and for very different reasons than the Beta being out.

But the GOG conference would be a perfect fit it they are or of they could be in it.

veteran
veteran
Any events which would happen before June 20th would be a huge distraction from getting the game finished.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Any events which would happen before June 20th would be a huge distraction from getting the game finished.

Not necessarily, they only need to send one or two people with a demo disc or a trailer on a flash drive. Beyond that they REALLY need some press coverage and they need to do something to not have their big release spoiled by all the noise and thunder that comes from E3 and the GOG conference. I would say it's absolutely vital they do something before June 20 because at the end of the day they need to make sure people know and remember this game exists so it doesn't hurt their sales and their future. Now is the time that has all the distractions for gamers with everyone wrapped up in hopes, speculation, anticipation and hype for everything related to gaming under the sun.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 31/05/14 08:27 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon

Not necessarily, they only need to send one or two people with a demo disc or a trailer on a flash drive. Beyond that they REALLY need some press coverage and they need to do something to not have their big release spoiled by all the noise and thunder that comes from E3 and the GOG conference. I would say it's absolutely vital they do something before June 20 because at the end of the day they need to make sure people know and remember this game exists so it doesn't hurt their sales and their future. Now is the time that has all the distractions for gamers with everyone wrapped up in hopes, speculation, anticipation and hype for everything related to gaming under the sun.

I'm not convinced it's so simple or easy.

http://www.lar.net/2012/04/20/the-caveman-who-discovered-fire/

http://www.lar.net/?s=E3&submit=Search

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Stabbey

I never said it's easy but they have to do something, I don't view that as optional. It'll cost money, it'll be a huge pain in the butt and everything else that can go wrong probably will but they can't sit back and do nothing or they run a very real risk of seeing their game and all the hard work they put into it buried in the noise coming from everywhere else. They can release the greatest game ever, if it ends up buried it'll cost them a lot more than needing to put out a late patch for some issues that could have been polished pre-release.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
The event is mainly advertised as a partnership with CDPR for Witcher 3 reveals but also mentions something about a new project by GOG so this all got me thinking.....the usual press conferences contain plenty of game announcements and Original Sin is not yet up for preorder on GOG but we know it will be there at release so that conference seems like the perfect place to give Original Sin some extra exposure and remind people to say hell no to Steam and DRM. Here's a link about the conference for those that don't know what I'm talking about: http://www.gog.com/news/cd_projekt_red_gogcom_summer_conference

Now that I've given it some thought, you may be very right
  • GOG has not announced DOS yet, altough we're very close to release. So it IS either a surprise for the video june 5th or they know something about a later release we do not .. which I hope is not the case.
  • DOS will be on GOG, drm free. It will cost $40, so reason enough to make people warm for it.
  • DOS is a classic crpg, and GOG and CD Project love rpgs. It might very well deserve a special announcement.
  • No-one from Larian has contributed to this thread. That's not such a big deal, but they could easily have confirmed DOS won't be included in the video stream.
  • A conference on GOG will cost less than attending to E3 and will be directed at the perfect audience, gamers that love old school rpgs.
So yeah, Darth_Trethon, interesting idea. We will know soon enough!

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
My thoughts exactly. Original Sin is exactly the kind of game that defines GOG and the lack of marketing at this point plus the suspicious absence of a preorder option for GOG makes this conference stick like a sore thumb as an absolute perfect fit for both GOG and Original Sin. I very much hope Original Sin is part of that conference, I think Larian needs it and it would do both parties much good. Not to mention it would be another high profile game for GOG to showcase. I have high hopes that this ends up happening.

addict
addict
well D:OS had a quite good coverage among HC gamers... many websites (and even the most famous) spoke about it.
You should keep in mind that D:OS will never have the press campaign of an AAA game and anyway why do you want CoD players to hear about it? their reaction "well turn based combat, that sucks !! and the graphics are awful !!"

IMO spending money in just to have a conference or a stand at the E3 is a waste of time and money.
As for GOG, well I did not know that one so far so I cannot say.
They will probably be once again part of Focus Home Interactive stand at the GamesCom like last year

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Chaotica
well D:OS had a quite good coverage among HC gamers... many websites (and even the most famous) spoke about it.
You should keep in mind that D:OS will never have the press campaign of an AAA game and anyway why do you want CoD players to hear about it? their reaction "well turn based combat, that sucks !! and the graphics are awful !!"

IMO spending money in just to have a conference or a stand at the E3 is a waste of time and money.
As for GOG, well I did not know that one so far so I cannot say.
They will probably be once again part of Focus Home Interactive stand at the GamesCom like last year

I don't know about famous sites covering the game but google news search is dry....you don't get a half page of results before it has to resort to pulling articles in foreign languages. And I agree E3 would not suit a studio like Larian or a game like Original Sin but the GOG press conference would be an absolute perfect match if they choose to cover Original Sin....especially as GOG themselves should be keen to have as many high profile games on show for their conference as they can. Witcher 3 is definitely high profile but still just one game....even if it is the most insanely awesome game ever.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 02/06/14 10:18 PM.
veteran
veteran
*googles Divinity original sin*

Well, in 3 pages all was english except for 2 dutch articles... and being a Belgian gamedev... that makes a whole bunch of sense, no?

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter
*googles Divinity original sin*

Well, in 3 pages all was english except for 2 dutch articles... and being a Belgian gamedev... that makes a whole bunch of sense, no?

Check the news section, that tells you what's recent. That tells you how likely people who DON'T know about Original Sin are to find out about it. The key thing is to remind and inform, information is not hard to come by when looking for it but nobody will be looking if they don't know the game exists or if they forgot about it due to all the other things going on in the games industry.

When recent articles are almost nonexistent the odds of someone running into information about this game is quite low.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 03/06/14 12:21 PM.
veteran
veteran
Well, at release it'll obviously be in the Steam store-bar... and that's a big eyecatcher.
GOG would send out mail's with it listed under 'new arrivals' also informing people there.

That would already include the majority of the gaming community right there... smile

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter
Well, at release it'll obviously be in the Steam store-bar... and that's a big eyecatcher.
GOG would send out mail's with it listed under 'new arrivals' also informing people there.

That would already include the majority of the gaming community right there... smile

Sure but those are just logos with a name, they aren't as good at catching attention as a news article title telling you something about it. There are loads of games out there and most I ignore unless specific information catches my eye and I decide to seek information about the game. Most game logos/titles I ignore. Now GOG has far fewer and more far between new releases so every new release is far more likely to get some attention from the players than on Steam where there are constant shovel loads of new releases.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
The conference is about to start in less than 20 minutes and while I view this as a perfect opportunity for Original Sin to get some exposure, I'm still insanely hyped for it regardless of whether Original Sin makes an appearance. http://new.livestream.com/gogcom/REDGOGstream

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm also watching .. Exciting

enthusiast
enthusiast
No Divinity announcement. A shame. Original Sin WILL be available on gog eventually right?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard