Next Thread
Print Thread
T
tom8a Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
I know that the cartoon look of parts of the game is an intentional part of the design. I appreciate that the games quirky look and feel is important to the game's designers and they will have strong artistic and emotional attachments to it.

I also appreciate that it would be a huge amount of work to change the look. This is, quite reasonably, not something that the games designers will have the time, resources, or inclination to look at pre-launch.

Many players however, will like the game in spite of this cartoon look rather than because of it.

Any chance of running an open competition for the playing community to produce Gritty Models of monsters and spells / monster abilities?

The competition could be in two rounds

The Larian team set the starting brief.

In the first round People send in their designs. Larian review the designs and select the ones to go through to the second round. This will ensure a consistent theme / style across the game.

In the second round the playing community get to vote on the designs that they prefer.

The winning designs are then modeled by Larian.

Winning designers get bragging wrights, some kind of formal recognition that they can put on their CV's for budding games designers, and something from the Larian goody-bag.

What do people think? Yes or No?

Last edited by tom8a; 02/06/14 02:02 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I think making this a competition would be pretty pointless... if such a mod where to even be worked on you can assume it will not be 1 guy or girl doing it alone, considering the range of work and skill-sets that'd require wink

Until we know how for sure whether it's easy or hard to mod textures this is all a bit premature imo. That said, a graphical total conversion might be an interesting project.... especially for user campaigns that want a more serious and gothic style to work with.

old hand
old hand
He didnt even suggest some modders do it.

He wants people to supply drawings of this new... style, and then the devs would choose the best one and do it themselves.

T
tom8a Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Looking back my original post I expressed myself rather poorly

I have edited my original post so that it makes more sence.

Last edited by tom8a; 02/06/14 12:46 PM.
T
tom8a Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
One obvious dis-incentive for this to Larian is the considerable cost involved in this process.

I would suggest - to carry on in the spirit of kick starter - That the mod be released as a formal paid for ad-on. I personally would be happy to spend 5 to 10 dollars on it.

This way the playing community get a hand in modding the game in a way that they would be unable to do as individuals and Larian get rewarded for their time and effort.

Last edited by tom8a; 02/06/14 02:04 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard