Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Eli #491196 22/04/14 02:31 AM
A
stranger
stranger
A
Historically there are instances of melee fighters utilizing two weapons. Now, you're not going to see anyone running around with a pair of axes but, say, in renaissance Italy it was popular for some rather talented bravos to wield a rapier in their main hand and a smaller blade in their off hand.

Eli #491205 22/04/14 08:19 AM
While that's true, the off-hand blade was primarily used for parrying and/or trapping the opponent's weapon. It might be used to stab when the combatants were pressed together with their weapons locked (the most dangerous situation for both to be in), but at that point the person wasn't striking with their main weapon. This was also typically being done in situations where neither person was wearing much if any armor.

Actually using two weapons at the same time for offense just isn't terribly effective in practice, in large part because the blows that actually matter require that you put power behind them and you can do that about as quickly with one weapon as you can with two. (Trying to put power behind two weapons simultaneously results in neither having much force.)

E
Eli Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
E
Originally Posted by NeutroniumDragon
While that's true, the off-hand blade was primarily used for parrying and/or trapping the opponent's weapon. It might be used to stab when the combatants were pressed together with their weapons locked (the most dangerous situation for both to be in), but at that point the person wasn't striking with their main weapon. This was also typically being done in situations where neither person was wearing much if any armor.

Actually using two weapons at the same time for offense just isn't terribly effective in practice, in large part because the blows that actually matter require that you put power behind them and you can do that about as quickly with one weapon as you can with two. (Trying to put power behind two weapons simultaneously results in neither having much force.)

A lot of weapons and combat styles that will be present in this game (and are present in other games) are not the best options for combat. This isn't a combat reality simulator though. As noted above, throughout history some people actually used two weapons to fight and that's more than enough.

Eli #491843 26/04/14 03:49 PM
journeyman
journeyman
To tell the truth, even pair of axes is nothing unreal.
Some small axes are good for dual wielding combat.
(http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/image/battle-ready-sword/1904-viking-axe.JPG)

Two daggers, rapier and dagger, short sword and dagger, rarely two short swords or two light axes.
These all are real combination.

Last edited by Edvin; 26/04/14 03:56 PM.
Eli #492719 02/05/14 03:09 PM
E
Eli Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
E
Any news regarding DW in D:OS? smile

Eli #492722 02/05/14 03:43 PM
veteran
veteran
Yes. IT'S NOT HAPPENING. Just like has been said already.

Eli #495195 16/05/14 08:28 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Maybe it's time to set up the petition...

Eli #495218 16/05/14 10:03 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
David commented in another thread that dual wielding will not be coming for the game release... But there are always mods which probably will take care of it^^.

Eli #495457 17/05/14 08:48 PM
old hand
old hand
I suggested a theoretically easy, or relatively easier way to go about this.

Allow wielding two different daggers. And a combination of one Rondel + one dagger - for a sum of their original AP cost.

So two daggers attack will cost you either 6 or 4 APs (if you take the Mack the knife talent as it is now). And Rondel + a dagger would cost the sum of whatever they cost individually now.

With the distinction of Rondel+dagger combo having a small chance to block, similar to but smaller then shields have.

This should be tied to dexterity and rogue (or is it scoundrel now) specific skills. Should probably be available at a higher level only.

Eli #495553 18/05/14 01:16 PM
journeyman
journeyman
I think dual welding might be added in as a mod...

Eli #495556 18/05/14 01:40 PM
old hand
old hand
Ah, i see now why this would be more difficult then it seems.

The way the new system is set up, there is only two skills for weapons. The single hand weapon skill and the Two hand weapons.

The Scoundrel skill doesnt give any unique abilities either.
Just gives you 3 rogue skill slots, 5 rogue skill slots, 7 skill slots, yadda, yadda, yadda...

anyway, if they dont want to do it, someone could make a nice mod - maybe.

Eli #496115 22/05/14 12:05 PM
veteran
veteran
The biggest difficulty would be animations, not skills I think 0_o

Eli #498089 03/06/14 05:22 PM
R
stranger
stranger
R
The problem with dual-wielding is that it is a pretty ridiculous concept. WOW made dual-wielding a standard, anyone can do it, damage-fest, when in reality its nearly impossible to do.

I wouldn't mind seeing it implemented, but done with a degree of realism. In D&D tabletop rules (the ones from the 90's anyways), it was like -2 to hit with your main weapon, and -4 with your off-hand weapon (which, if you know how the system works, is a huge penalty). And the off-hand weapon had to be a dagger, or in some circumstances a short-sword. AND only rangers could do it.

I like to see consequences in my games. Not everyone should be running around with 2 weapons with no penalty. I like some give and take.

I know some people will say that a game with orcs and magic doesn't need to be realistic. Well if that's the case why don't we have time-travelling robots and My Little Pony unicorns? Because that would be stupid. A game can have a fantasy lore-set and still have a degree of verisimilitude.

Rob2Kx #498663 08/06/14 02:36 PM
F
stranger
stranger
F
youre all taking this dual wielding stufff WAYY too seriously. it blows my mind that its not in the game. so as a rogue, are you saying i should use a shield with my dagger??? thats ridiculous. ITS A FREAKING FANTASTY GAME. "dual wielding is sooo unnrealistic" get a grip!

Eli #498669 08/06/14 03:25 PM
veteran
veteran
No, a rogue shouldn't use a shield with a dagger. Shields require at least 6 Strength, and better ones require more.

Eli #498670 08/06/14 03:30 PM
veteran
veteran
Way too much commotion over here, anyhow I thought they were changing the name of the Rogue class iirc....probably because of some incessant crying going on somewhere.

forklord #499284 13/06/14 09:02 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by forklord
So as a rogue, are you saying i should use a shield with my dagger??? Thats ridiculous.

I totally agree.

Feel free to disable dual wielding for all other weapons, but allow it for two daggers.

Last edited by Edvin; 14/06/14 02:11 AM.
Eli #499344 14/06/14 03:26 PM
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Dual wielding is a good idea, in my own opinion, but should be restricted to light weapons on off hand, with penalty, like in D&D (someone probably mentioned it, didn't read)

Magissia #499425 15/06/14 02:25 PM
journeyman
journeyman
AFAIK, Dual wielding , is a realistic possibility(not really an advantage though, I must say). That said, what is the vision that Larian wants to portray? I personally am familiar with the concept, as an old AD&D nut, this was common place for my Rogues.

So the question is not the reality, funny because we are talking about a game, but whether or not Larian wants it in their release. Modding could be the best bastion for this subject I believe, and frankly that's fine with me.

Also unless the Rogue drastically changes, I believe that their skill-set is fine the way it is, and if used in a cheeky way is quite devastating.

Last edited by daft73; 15/06/14 02:40 PM.

Click to reveal..
Eli #499722 18/06/14 09:33 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Today's live chat with creators was great!
They call us "Dual wielding Mafia" laugh

It is not inconceivable, that Sooner or later dual wielding will be added to the game.
(Words of authors)

So we must persevere!

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard