P
prypiat Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Hi everybody

First, thanks to Larian for what looks to be a really great RPG cheer

I am a KS backer, and CE box is one of my rewards. As promised in KS FAQ , "The box version will not have DRM."

I just wanted to be sure about one thing : CE box will contain the game on DVD, without any DRM (=no mandatory steam, no steam that needs to be started when installing) + 2 steam keys on a separate piece of paper ? Just like Divinity Anthology did (except it had "only" one Steam key for each game if I remember well) ?

Sorry if this is a stupid question - just wanted to be sure. Because if Steam is mandatory on boxed CE version i'll simply ask for a refund, as it's not what has been promised during KS (and yeah, I hate Steam beyond reason^^).

Thank you in advance guys wink

And cheers to Larian !

Last edited by prypiat; 08/06/14 05:31 PM.
veteran
veteran
The CD version does require Steam either for patches or to download the entire game but nothing more, once the game/patch is downloaded you can uninstall Steam and never have to use it nor will you have to be online again to play. The reason for this is because larian are working on the game and making massive additions to the game that couldn't be ready in time before the discs went in to be manufactured. Beyond the one time download the game is very much DRM free.

You also do not have to use the disc/Steam to download and install the game. On you Larian Vault pledge management page you can select whatever platform you want the game on and you'll get a key for that so if you want to create additional accounts you can just select a Vault version of the game but GOG(who are also amazing guys and a great DRM free platform) is also an option.

veteran
veteran
Basically, Steam is required for a day 1 update, after which you can uninstall Steam and D:OS will work fine.

Is Steam required for retail version?
Originally Posted by "Octaaf"
The DVD contains a steam installer, so yes, steam will have to be installed
to be able to download the game.
This is mentioned on our larianvault page, but apparantly not on the amazon
page.

The game does not contain any DRM though, Steam is just used as a download
and update platform.
Once the game has been downloaded, you can copy the game and uninstall steam
if you want.

To answer your specific questions:
1. Is Steam required to install Divinity:Original Sin from the
Collector's Edition?
>> yes it is required (install steam, activate game via steam with steam
key)
2. Is Steam required to update D:OS from the CE?
>> most likely a first day patch will have to be downloaded once installed,
yes
3. Is Steam required to play D:OS from the CE in multiplayer?
>> you can play d:os in multiplayer via connect to ip or via LAN on the drm
free version (without steam).
if you want to play with other users on steam (without connect to ip - so
via the steam lobby framework), you will have to login to steam.

We apologize for any confusion and thank you for (trying) to purchase our
game .

Kind regards,

Octaaf

I hope this helps answer your question.

veteran
veteran
I just read three statements that say "uninstall Steam if you want", while at the same time pointing out that Steam is used for updates/patching. It seems to me that if you want your game to have the latest up-to-date bug fixes (and why wouldn't you), you can never really get rid of Steam permanently.

For this not to be true, the game would need an alternative way of patching (good ol' executable file downloads) or its own patcher.

I also suspect Steam will be fairly important for player created dungeons/mods (through the Steam workshop).

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gyson
I just read three statements that say "uninstall Steam if you want", while at the same time pointing out that Steam is used for updates/patching. It seems to me that if you want your game to have the latest up-to-date bug fixes (and why wouldn't you), you can never really get rid of Steam permanently.

Two things there: the patches will stop at some point and if the game is well polished that will be sooner rather than later. The second thing is that because he/she is a KS backer he/she doesn't have to deal with the disc and Steam at all because he/she has an option in the pledge management page in the vault to ask for a GOG/Vault copy of the game.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 08/06/14 05:54 PM.
P
prypiat Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Thanks Stabbey for the quote, I searched the forum but didn't see it. wink

OK so there actually IS mandatory steam on boxed version, and it's a real problem for me.
Having many internet (and Steam) problems, this decision bugs me a little bit. Yeah, I have access to a GOG backup copy, but isn't a real good solution as game files are usually too big to be downloaded easily for me...

I understand their point (version written on DVD wont be final, extra content will need to be downloaded, as Ubisoft did for MMX), but I still don't get why did they claimed to have "no DRM on box version" and did that. Patching a "real" DVD version is (for devs) quite the same thing as patching a GOG/Larian Vault version AFAIK, isn't it ? Just release patch files on official website and let's go.

I don't know if I will ask for a refund (God knows how much I want this game^^) but... it's a problem. Next time I'll wait before I buy^^

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by prypiat
Thanks Stabbey for the quote, I searched the forum but didn't see it. wink

OK so there actually IS mandatory steam on boxed version, and it's a real problem for me.
Having many internet (and Steam) problems, this decision bugs me a little bit. Yeah, I have access to a GOG backup copy, but isn't a real good solution as game files are usually too big to be downloaded easily for me...

I understand their point (version written on DVD wont be final, extra content will need to be downloaded, as Ubisoft did for MMX), but I still don't get why did they claimed to have "no DRM on box version" and did that. Patching a "real" DVD version is (for devs) quite the same thing as patching a GOG/Larian Vault version AFAIK, isn't it ? Just release patch files on official website and let's go.

I don't know if I will ask for a refund (God knows how much I want this game^^) but... it's a problem. Next time I'll wait before I buy^^

The real reason they went for Steam on the disc via GOG or Vault is because most of the PC gaming community favors Steam so that would be why. Now I've dealt with dead slow internet connections in the past but they'll do the job eventually even if it takes them a week. As for the refund....that doesn't really apply to KS backers, that's for people who bought the CE from the Larian Vault directly after it was publicly announced a few weeks ago and the reason they can opt for a refund is because the dice were taken out but dice were never part of a KS tier(except the 5k and 10k but nobody got those) plus there's no refunds for KS pledges as per KS policy that Larian has to follow.

P
prypiat Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
The real reason they went for Steam on the disc via GOG or Vault is because most of the PC gaming community favors Steam so that would be why. Now I've dealt with dead slow internet connections in the past but they'll do the job eventually even if it takes them a week. As for the refund....that doesn't really apply to KS backers, that's for people who bought the CE from the Larian Vault directly after it was publicly announced a few weeks ago and the reason they can opt for a refund is because the dice were taken out but dice were never part of a KS tier(except the 5k and 10k but nobody got those) plus there's no refunds for KS pledges as per KS policy that Larian has to follow.

OK, I understand... Looks like today "box version" means "steam version" for most of PC gamers rolleyes

OK, so -logically- no refund, no problem.

I'm a little upset with that Steam problem (to me "no drm on box version" is a lie), but I'm sure Larian did one of the best RPG since... a decade ago, so I'm always looking forward to that Divinity OS !

Thanks everyone for all these explanations ! smile

veteran
veteran
Yeah, I don't like Steam at all either, I'm not even using it for the beta or anything....I don't do Steam and I don't like it any more than you but still...its popularity among PC gamers is undeniable. I do very much hope to see GOG Galaxy replace Steam completely on that front.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I'm willing to order the CE, but I want it to be Steam free.

That rhymed.

addict
addict
unefortunately steam is a really convenient platform for Larian...

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
P
prypiat Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Larian really did a mistake with this choice, I think.

Showing themselves as fervent defenders of DRM-free and putting Steam on a box version is a nonsense, and I'm sure they will lose some fans just for that (me first). Even if everybody knows they did it for simplicity reason. They always are good game creators, but to me they're now "just another game devs".

Last edited by prypiat; 09/06/14 11:57 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by prypiat
Larian really did a mistake with this choice, I think.

Showing themselves as fervent defenders of DRM-free and putting Steam on a box version is a nonsense, and I'm sure they will lose some fans just for that (me first). Even if everybody knows they did it for simplicity reason. They always are good game creators, but to me they're now "just another game devs".

I don't necessarily agree about the outrage but yes, I fear that they crossed a line for many in their fanbase and it was a concern I pointed out when they first mentioned the CE would absolutely need Steam. GOG is not as popular but emphasizing support on it and leaving Steam as the secondary "option" would have been much better for them. Now, moving forward, I hope support for the GOG version will be relatively consistent with the Steam version....even if that means GOG gets one larger update a month vs. biweekly for Steam or something. At this point I think this is absolutely crucial.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 09/06/14 12:31 PM.
addict
addict
well it is not steam mandatory to play, you just need a D1 patch, and we could imagine that the patch will be available somewhere else too so steam might not be mandatory at all.
Another point is that once you have download the D1 patch you can uninstall steam, mods could probably be found of other websites than steam

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
enthusiast
enthusiast
Am I mistaken or are these 2 threads about exactly the same thing? And btw, Larian, next time you announce a physical collector's edition, just put a gog redeem code inside and no discs at all.

Last edited by Lotrotk; 09/06/14 01:17 PM.
old hand
old hand
Larian is printing a very big sign which will hang here until the rest of eternity - "Stay away from physical editions" smile

old hand
old hand
I would recommend not ever rolling the dice on that again, but, well you know ... well

Take heart, we only tease you because we love you. hug

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
P
prypiat Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
@Larian : Do the choice you estimate to be the best wink

I just read KS comments about "alternate solution" for backers and the only fact that you think about it makes you really great devs. hug

I wanted to apologise for being a bit rude. I didnt wanted to fan the flames of this "steam problem".

Ungrateful gamers ( like I was. A little bit. Maybe :p ) don't deserve so much respect.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Okay - so I have to use Steam for both my CE copies if I want to play multiplayer locally - no LAN option?

This is annoying, I prefer LAN for multiplayer games as Steam and my internet are not always reliable.

Gaming dinosaur!!
Support
Support

The game will support LAN and direct IP connections (it just isn't in the beta yet), so you do not need to use Steam at all other than to get the day 1 patch and future updates. You can install the game off the disk, which will reduce the download for the initial patch (though it may be a large patch, with some voiced lines being added). For your second PC you can copy the update from the first (unless you have a Mac/PC combo).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard