Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Mr. C Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I hate playing on easy mode. I, however, love to play on casual mode. I'm a casual player.
I'm also a player that has a ridiculous pride... a pride that makes me feel bad about selecting "easy".

I propose changing the difficulty names to:

Casual - -25% Enemy Health
Casual allows players to focus more on social interaction skills, role playing elements, exploration and mystery solving.

Heroic - Standard
Heroic is the unmodified heroes experience.

True Grit -25% Player Health, -2 Bodybuilding, -2 Willpower, -5 Attitude.
True Grit allows the player to play a more realistic and gritty campaign. Warning: Exceptionally difficult.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Mr. C
I hate playing on easy mode. I, however, love to play on casual mode. I'm a casual player.
I'm also a player that has a ridiculous pride... a pride that makes me feel bad about selecting "easy".

Casual allows players to focus more on social interaction skills, role playing elements, exploration and mystery solving.

Heroic - Standard

True Grit allows the player to play a more realistic and gritty campaign. Warning: Exceptionally difficult.

Seriously?

/facepalm

addict
addict

Heroic - Standard

heya no one knows for sure what the diff difficulties will offer. Right now the most accurate information was given by Stabbey in another post. I am not sure if you have any interest in the tool kit coming with the game, but with that kit you could just change normal mode to lower enemy health.

Edit. Adding in the link to info

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=499678#Post499678

Last edited by Ellary; 18/06/14 10:52 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ellary

Heroic - Standard

heya no one knows for sure what the diff difficulties will offer. Right now the most accurate information was given by Stabbey in another post. I am not sure if you have any interest in the tool kit coming with the game, but with that kit you could just change normal mode to lower enemy health.

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=499678#Post499678

I think you missed his point, Ellary, which really has nothing to do with wondering what the various difficulty modes actually do (he is actually giving examples). His actual point is regarding the terms used to describe each mode.

---------------------

Mr. C, "Easy", "Normal", and "Hard" have been pretty standard for the last 25+ years. My personal opinion is that changing them would cause confusion. While I understand where you're coming from, I also tend to see more people getting offended by the term "casual", which is (unfortunately) often used in a derogatory manner.

Anyway, just my opinion.

M
Mr. C Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Correct. I feel cheesy and stupid playing "easy" mode and never will.

Give me a casual mode though? And I'll have all kinds of fun with it.

veteran
veteran

I've also seen it labeled as "novice" and "beginner" before. I'm not sure those are going to be perceived as being any better, though.

"Easier than Normal, Normal, and Harder than Normal"? smile I'm scratching my head on this one.

M
Mr. C Offline OP
OP Offline
M
That's why you link the difficulty settings to play styles rather than just "easy, normal, hard".

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Gyson

Heroic - Standard

I think you missed his point, Ellary, which really has nothing to do with wondering what the various difficulty modes actually do (he is actually giving examples). His actual point is regarding the terms used to describe each mode.

---------------------

Mr. C, "Easy", "Normal", and "Hard" have been pretty standard for the last 25+ years. My personal opinion is that changing them would cause confusion. While I understand where you're coming from, I also tend to see more people getting offended by the term "casual", which is (unfortunately) often used in a derogatory manner.

Anyway, just my opinion.

oh Gyson even here..even here. lets play. I did not miss his point. You chose not to read. I clearly gave how to modify the game to his liking without having to play on Casual (easy). Most likely can even copy settings from one and apply it to another in the tool kit. Meaning if you prefer Casual Mode (easy) but want it to be Heroic (Normal) could simply swap them.

One of the best things about divinity original sin is the toolkit. Players have the power.

Ultimately if you are not sure you wish to touch the creation tools. am quite sure more then a few on these forums would be glad to help tweak the game for you. ^_^

veteran
veteran

Heroic - Standard

---------------------

Anyway, just my opinion.

oh Gyson even here..even here. lets play. I did not miss his point. You chose not to read. I clearly gave how to modify the game to his liking without having to play on Casual (easy). Most likely can even copy settings from one and apply it to another in the tool kit. Meaning if you prefer Casual Mode (easy) but want it to be Heroic (Normal) could simply swap them.

One of the best things about divinity original sin is the toolkit. Players have the power.

Ultimately if you are not sure you wish to touch the creation tools. am quite sure more then a few on these forums would be glad to help tweak the game for you. ^_^

No, don't worry, I read all the comments before responding. Has anyone ever told you how well you handle innocent criticism? You took all of 0 responses to become snippy and combative.

I think you're still missing the point and/or assuming that the toolkit will allow users to relabel the UI buttons in the main menus outside of the user-made module access areas (and, more importantly, that it will allow it with the original campaign).

I was not aware you had the toolkit in your hands already. Can you tell us more about how this will function? Or are you just making a wild guess? Because it feels like you're setting the original poster up for disappointment with a promise you can't guarantee.

addict
addict
funny part is you actually think you are cleaver and or annoying me. So keep trying. Did I claim to have the toolkit? newp~ has it been stated that players can modify almost every part of the game. Yep. *applauds* can't wait for your second attempt Gyson. Least I try and offer answers rather then complain about things.

Anyway as for innocent criticism that isn't something you do. you constantly try and point out how people are to stupid or how they miss points. When the point was explained clearly.

C
C
Might and Magic used adventurer and warrior modes for their games to signify a game that was more casual. This beats easy all to pieces. I like Mr 3rd letter's idea. Maybe explorer, veteran, and source hunter modes. All Larian has to do is pick something that doesn't sound negative for the casual player. That should be doable. Insecure people will always claim they play on hard even though they really play on easy and then use cheats on top of it wink

I play on normal typically, because that's what I feel the devs spend the most time balancing.

Last edited by crpgnut; 19/06/14 12:16 AM.

'nut
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T

So you are saying that if easy was just renamed "casual", then you would have no problems playing it then?

You don't think that stupid?

Support
Support

If he thought the connotations between different words to describe something was stupid, he wouldn't have brought it up in the first place. There are companies that spend millions coming up with words for stuff that match a target demographic or convey a desired message, etc (focus groups, studies, consultants...).

C
C
Originally Posted by Tanist

So you are saying that if easy was just renamed "casual", then you would have no problems playing it then?

You don't think that stupid?

t's about being positive or negative in the description. Would you rather hear, Tanist raised his GPA up .75 points this semester or Tanist had the lowest GPA for the 3rd straight semester at .76?

One sounds much better, even though it isn't.

However, with a little work you actually make the game play differently dependent on the choice. If you play casual mode, exploration and finding secrets are rewarded much higher than kills. Treasure would be more +barter and +perception and less about +2-handed weapons, etc. It's too late for this to be implemented, but its not a bad idea.

'nut
veteran
veteran
Sometimes this kind of problem can be alleviated with tooltips. For example, suppose the label is "Easy" or "Beginner". When you mouse the label a tooltip can pop up that states "Choose this option if you're new to this type of game, or if you prefer a more casual gameplay experience."

Would that help? Because, really, I wouldn't mind having tooltips on those buttons, particularly ones that gives details on what the selected difficulty level actually does. Better than alt-tabbing to Google and doing a search on "Divinity Original Sin difficulty setting".

funny part is you actually think you are cleaver and or annoying me. So keep trying. Did I claim to have the toolkit? newp~ has it been stated that players can modify almost every part of the game. Yep. *applauds* can't wait for your second attempt Gyson. Least I try and offer answers rather then complain about things.

Anyway as for innocent criticism that isn't something you do. you constantly try and point out how people are to stupid or how they miss points. When the point was explained clearly.

No, you just (once again) completely overreacted to a simple statement that didn't have any meaning other than to advise you that you may have misunderstood the original posters request - in case you actually had any interest in offering new, more relevant, advice. If you chose to look at it differently than that, that's on you, and I suggest you work on being less insecure.

Worse, you intentionally misled the original poster by telling him that he could alter the behavior of a difficulty mode by using the toolkit, when you actually have zero idea or proof as to whether or not that will even be possible. Don't present speculation as fact.

addict
addict
Sometimes this kind of problem can be alleviated with tooltips. For example, suppose the label is "Easy" or "Beginner". When you mouse the label a tooltip can pop up that states "Choose this option if you're new to this type of game, or if you prefer a more casual gameplay experience."

Would that help? Because, really, I wouldn't mind having tooltips on those buttons, particularly ones that gives details on what the selected difficulty level actually does. Better than alt-tabbing to Google and doing a search on "Divinity Original Sin difficulty setting".

No, you just (once again) completely overreacted to a simple statement that didn't have any meaning other than to advise you that you may have misunderstood the original posters request - in case you actually had any interest in offering new, more relevant, advice. If you chose to look at it differently than that, that's on you, and I suggest you work on being less insecure.

Worse, you intentionally misled the original poster by telling him that he could alter the behavior of a difficulty mode by using the toolkit, when you actually have zero idea or proof as to whether or not that will even be possible. Don't present speculation as fact.

seriously Gyson get off it..it's getting old really fast. Lol.

To the Original poster. it has been stated by larian that the toolkit is extremely powerful. If you can edit skills (Asked lar_Q in global chat about editing Raistilin skill. Which is now Glass Cannon skill name. Was told can easily change the name)then you can for sure edit monsters. There are many people on the forums awaiting the kit, so I am sure questions on changing difficulty can be easily addressed.

Like with most games creation kits I am sure Larian is adding in many goodies for players to mess with.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
To me casual actually sounds worse than easy. Casual, hardcore and similar also make it sound like the game systems in these difficulty levels are different. To me casual is not about the difficulty, it's about not being bogged down by overcomplicated rules and such. So a casual difficulty might offer an easy way to respec for example, whereas easy difficulty might not, because "easy" is simply the same game, but easier. "Casual games" for example might include some brain-bendingly difficult puzzle games and such. I'm probably in the minority here, though...

But then calling them "easy" and "hard" has always been silly, because often the "hard" is not hard at all, and sometimes the "easy" is too hard.

Maybe they should just call them "in your favour", "neutral" and "in your disfavour", or "easiest", "second easiest" and so on.

addict
addict
About the OP.
This difficulty names issue is, IMO, incredibly irrelevant and silly. However, I really do respect, and think fascinating, that some people can be so sensible about this kind of things. Always teaches me a lot about the incredible diversity of human feelings.

Un chemin de 1000 lieues commence par un premier pas.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
P
apprentice
apprentice
P
I like how NWN implemented difficulty allowing to choose how strict D&D rules will be.

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
You can change the difficulty in the middle of the game, can't you?

To the OP: I would suggest start on normal if it is such a big issue for you. Try the fights on normal. And you feel that a fight is a little bit too challenging, then change the difficulty to easy just for this one fight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard