Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Dmnqwk #500111 19/06/14 10:04 PM
Support
Support
Originally Posted by Cromcrom
So what is the real value of this game ?

You could ask that every time it goes on sale, or when the price drops after a few years, or when it gets bundled a few years after that, or when it is given away as a pre-order bonus for Divinity 7 in a decade...

Originally Posted by Dmnqwk
They basically got a bunch of people to look for bugs

Most people who bought the Early Access version knew, or should have known, what Early Access is. They had the opportunity to significantly effect the development of the game, not just look for bugs, and make suggestions and give feedback which would be much harder for Larian to act on after release. Some people place value on this. If you do not, then do not buy Early Access games until they are released.

I've certainly paid more than $9 for games I've played less than the alpha/beta, and were less fun.

Cromcrom #500113 19/06/14 10:06 PM
addict
addict
CromCrom!! wait til release! I bet you one apple pie you will be happy with the game ^_^

Gyson #500125 19/06/14 10:23 PM
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Gyson
(sigh) It's interesting how, time and time again, these discussions tend to remain largely civil right up until certain people in this community make their way into them.

And, yes, that's aimed at you, Tanist.

Fuck you larian, as much as you just fucked me.

First post in this thread.

Civil? Your judgement (or lack there of) is quite astounding.

/boggle

Cromcrom #500126 19/06/14 10:27 PM
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Do you feel like you got $8 worth of fun out of it?

O my god , alas, no. Those must have been the most frustrating 8 bucks (euros, actually) I ever spent, navigating between false promises (cycles, editor in december almost 100% sure, "Spring is coming"...), shallow features (spells = skills, drag and drop crafting, crates opening in lieu of proper gathering, failure or success system), bugs (countless), unbalances (game is unbalancable), to the point I can't go past Arhu anymore, because just the prospect of "navigating" through Cyseal bores the shit out of me.

Are you new to the alpha/beta process? Didn't they make it clear when you bought the game that it was "early access" which meant the game would be unfinished, buggy, crashing, etc... ?

Maybe... since you dislike alpha/beta games, you should have held on to your money and then... when it went on sale today, you could have got it cheaper?

Seems like you wanted to play the game early. Seems like you agreed that 39.99 was worth it.

It seems... that you are now trying to renegotiate after the fact.

It seems to me... you are being dishonest.

Tanist #500127 19/06/14 10:30 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tanist

/boggle

And what is the better way to respond to his frustration? Insulting him? Or a more calm and reasoned approach? My judgement says it's the latter, and I wish yours had done the same. He is clearly upset. I'm not sure what your excuse was. Is this how you intend to respond to everyone with a complaint? Because I suspect there are going to be more once launch happens (it's inevitable).

Gyson #500128 19/06/14 10:35 PM
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T

/boggle

And what is the better way to respond to his frustration? Insulting him? Or a more calm and reasoned approach? My judgement says it's the latter, and I wish yours had done the same. He is clearly upset. I'm not sure what your excuse was?

He is clearly acting like an emotional idiot. I could give a crap how he "feels" when he acts like a little brat. If he wants to be treated with respect, he can act in a manner that deserves it.

Now stop derailing the thread with your narcissistic need to make this all about you.

Tanist #500129 19/06/14 10:38 PM
veteran
veteran

/boggle

And what is the better way to respond to his frustration? Insulting him? Or a more calm and reasoned approach? My judgement says it's the latter, and I wish yours had done the same. He is clearly upset. I'm not sure what your excuse was?

He is clearly acting like an emotional idiot. I could give a crap how he "feels" when he acts like a little brat. If he wants to be treated with respect, he can act in a manner that deserves it.

That's a two-way street, no? If you come at him acting like you've blown a gasket, how should people respond to you?

Anyway, take the advice or leave it. Up to you.

Cromcrom #500130 19/06/14 10:40 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
?

"Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that" - Leunig
Cromcrom #500140 19/06/14 11:37 PM
M
stranger
stranger
M
Woah its $8, your life is ruined because its $8. Go cry a river.

Last edited by Marls; 19/06/14 11:37 PM.
Cromcrom #500161 20/06/14 03:20 AM
veteran
veteran
So much drama over such insignificant things. As pointed by others you got to play long before release and had the chance to have an effect on development and it was only $8......seriously, if you really feel the need to act like this over $8 I think you have far bigger problems in your life than video-games that need to be solved before you buy another game.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 20/06/14 03:26 AM.
Cromcrom #500292 20/06/14 04:13 PM
B
stranger
stranger
B
steam summer sells: DOS for 31,99 while the game is not even released.

I bought the early access 39,99.

Doesn't understand the point of Kickstarter.

journeyman
journeyman
This kind of frustration, seems to just be part of the whole BETA is part of purchase transition. 15 years ago to be part of BETA's, ALPHAS...was not a normal thing by any means. You were selected by a small minority to have the chance to be a part of them.

Now days the devs(in most gaming circles) have opened the walls to all..the industry as a whole has taken to the mass beta idea, this has all evolved into the Kickstarter era. As this is a new venture in economic/social terms there will be hiccups as the system is created right before our very eyes. horsey

I think this similar to the music industry...we now have groups(bands) of people changing the way music is produced/managed..in smaller circles. These are like your indie titles in gaming terms. All the while the big industry keeps on pumping out pop music, akin to Your EA's and such, pumping out mediocre games/ or over the top games at 60$+.

So where does this leave us, well to be frank..we must be careful how we spend our hard earned cash. We read into things and decide whether or not to take a chance with a company, trusting in them to deliver. I have been burnt on Kickstarters, this not being one of those I'll happily say.

Last edited by daft73; 20/06/14 04:43 PM.

Click to reveal..
Cromcrom #500303 20/06/14 05:06 PM
addict
addict
I think it's the PAYING to be a Beta tester that's the real difference. Honestly I still haven't got my head around that one.

daft73 #500306 20/06/14 05:31 PM
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by daft73
This kind of frustration, seems to just be part of the whole BETA is part of purchase transition. 15 years ago to be part of BETA's, ALPHAS...was not a normal thing by any means. You were selected by a small minority to have the chance to be a part of them.

Yep, there was a time that if you had beta experience with multiple releases of games and other software that you could even put it on your resume as an experienced QA position. Though, back then alpha/beta testing was more than just playing a game. You filled out numerous bug reports, applied various play scenarios requested by the developers and consistently communicated with them as an employee would.

These days, Alpha/Beta tester simply means random person who plays the game for an early peek. There is no requirement for report filing or any interaction with the developers because most of the data is being collected passively through their client logging applications.

LeBurns #500309 20/06/14 05:32 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by LeBurns
I think it's the PAYING to be a Beta tester that's the real difference. Honestly I still haven't got my head around that one.
Right like I stated, these are the growing pains of trying a new system. For me it's not paying for BETA, it's paying to get into the game earlier than the rest of the public. In some cases if you try to you can have a lot of involvement, even in just theory crafting about a games future. For some that alone is why they get involved into Early access/BETAS what-have-you.

The 'paying for BETA' is just the entrance fee, but I don't think you are actually 'paying for BETA' as much as you are just paying 'early' for a product, the BETA is just now a part of things. The problem here is that you pay full price for an un-finished product...so when expectations are made by the consumer, consumers with low patience, or that have been burnt before will alarm fire-bells over every little thing.

Click to reveal..
LeBurns #500310 20/06/14 05:39 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by LeBurns

You're not. You're paying for the full game, but can play the beta now. It's not like you're paying to beta test and then paying again for the full game. There's no price difference between the beta and full version, so you aren't penalized for waiting for the full version.

Cromcrom #500367 21/06/14 02:25 AM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Fucked out of $8. Life is cruel.

Cromcrom #500404 21/06/14 08:21 AM
A
stranger
stranger
A
lol

The OP is a literal baby.

Cromcrom #500443 21/06/14 03:51 PM
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
you have to be some self righteous, entitled prick to get angry over this. I bought a game on ps3, a week later it was free on PSN. did I bitch and moan...yes for like a second before I shrugged and continued playing the game. why. because when I bought the game I was prepared to pay that price. if $8 is enough to make you bitch and moan. you probably shouldn't be buying games. you sound like the kind of person that would pay $5 for a game. get lets say 5 hours of content and then bitch and moan that the game didn't have enough for the price you paid.

Cromcrom #500445 21/06/14 04:01 PM
veteran
veteran
Something else to consider, Cromcrom, is that this Steam Summer Sale discount was always going to happen. But because the launch was delayed repeatedly, and by many months, it just happens to be occurring right when the launch is finally happening.

If Divinity : OS had hit its original release date towards the beginning of the year and then went on sale ~6 months later in late June, would this discussion even be taking place? If anything this sale price would be quite normal.

Sure, with the way things turned out the timing is odd and even unfortunate, but the launch delays were unfortunate as well, and the one date that wasn't going to change in all of this was Steam's Summer Sale. I suspect the developers also wish there had been several months between it and their launch, but this is just how the timing worked out.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard