Print Thread
#499704 18/06/14 08:13 PM
R
rionbk Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Regarding the companion AI personality feature, will there only be random, or in the full release will there be more selection options?
Failing that, would this be something that would be modable with the tools?

cheers

rionbk #499706 18/06/14 08:17 PM
veteran
veteran
There are supposed to be more options. How many, they won't say.

rionbk #499715 18/06/14 08:43 PM
addict
addict
hi rionbk! this is just my guess, but I think there will be 3-4 standard AI types (Tank/Caster/Rogue/Healer) I do hope the behaviors will be mod.

rionbk #499803 19/06/14 02:57 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
AI personalities is for dialog in SP when you don't want to talk to yourself all the time, I don't think D:OS ever will support behavior scripts that are complex enough to do what you want Ellary wink After all, you control the characters even with personalities ON at all times 100%. It's not like in BG2 where you could check "Companion AI" and they will actually do stuff (mostly) without your input.

AI Personalities (as they are now) are basically just "How is this character going to respond to situations in dialog"

Either way, I hope it's not gonna be only "RANDOM" on release. ^^

rionbk #499805 19/06/14 02:59 AM
addict
addict
oh oh! My mistake >.< I was avoiding the AI as I thought it also took control on the character ._. but least now I learned something! am actually looking forward to the AI now.

rionbk #499807 19/06/14 03:11 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
No worries ,) It's very confusing as it's called AI personalities but really it's just their in-dialog "Personality" that you can set. If you feel crazy try playing game with both set to RANDOM, it's hilarious (but not very immersive obviously ,p)

For me this is the most important must have feature of them all, but I am WEIRD. ;p

rionbk #499952 19/06/14 03:41 PM
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
On the live stream the devs did yesterday, they stated that no more AI personalities would be ready ahead of the live build and others would be patched in at a later date.

journeyman
journeyman
I suppose this should be in the game,...though I never use it and generally control them myself. The A.I. here and all the way back to Baldur's Gate has never used what I would call effective use of skills available. Pause is your friend, but for those who are looking for a more fast-paced game experience would appreciate a smart A.I.

After re-reading, you are referring to personalities ie. alignment, or how npc's respond to certain situations (in text actions, not battle). Eh, I could go with or without it...could just go run a Campaign(pnp) for my 15yr old and his friends for that.

Click to reveal..
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mothrascales
On the live stream the devs did yesterday, they stated that no more AI personalities would be ready ahead of the live build and others would be patched in at a later date.

Update from Twitter:

Companions and AI Personalities?

Q: Are the companions and AI personalities going to be a day 1 patch, or a later one?

A: Can't make that call now, we're working on it. I think companions later, AI personalities right away.

rionbk #500308 20/06/14 05:32 PM
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Not really my preferred order of implementation, honestly, but at least we know. Thanks Stabbey!

rionbk #500316 20/06/14 07:03 PM
stranger
stranger
Wait wait wait. Is companions = npc group members/ followers like Madora and Jahan ? I don't wanna be stuck with those two crazies ;-)

C
C
Originally Posted by rantanplan
Wait wait wait. Is companions = npc group members/ followers like Madora and Jahan ? I don't wanna be stuck with those two crazies ;-)

That's the deal. It's why I've told everyone to wait for several patches to play this game. Why pay full price until everything is in it that was promised? Wait for a sale if/when the game is done. Buy it at the next summer sale, where you can get DKS for like $2. Even Dragon Commander is less than $20.

Let those of us who supported it in Kickstarter or the RPGWatch/RPGCodex campaigns, be the only ones to way overpay for the product.

I just hope Jahan and Madora aren't the best they can do. They're extremely lame and should have been deleted and just let us roll all four characters.

'nut
rionbk #500333 20/06/14 09:21 PM
stranger
stranger
Bleah, that's disappointing. You're right, I'm gonna wait for a couple of patches too.

rionbk #500639 22/06/14 03:31 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
It seems even us KS supporters might be better off waiting a few patches before playing properly, sigh

And yes, I know I said AI personalities a major thing for me, but companions are obviously JUST AS major. Both are responsible for immersion (or the lack of it) and will decide what I think about the OC (Original Campaign) of D:OS and whether I will look at it more than once.

I some hopes with KS funded projects that a release will only happen when EVERYTHING is in and working properly and polished properly.

rionbk #500641 22/06/14 03:40 PM
veteran
veteran
Maybe this will help:

Companions and AI Personalities 2?
Originally Posted by "Lar"
Q: Is it true that companions and AI personalities might not be ready for the release of D:OS at June 30? frown

A:
Realities of production. People get sick, things get shifted, we adapt. Still, plenty of fun there already & more coming.

Also, just to be clear - the existing companions are of course in. AI personalities most likely too.

Can we get a list of late features?
Originally Posted by "Lar"
In any production, there are always things that can go wrong and once you're close to release, the only tools left to get everything ready are removing or postponing. Normally you don't see this but because our development has been fairly open, this is now more visible.

Regardless of what makes it or not, we've never released a game that contained so much of the planned features as Divinity:Original Sin, including plenty of features that weren't planned as a result of Steam Early Access. Just to give you an example of how much stuff gets cut sometimes - check out the Div II documentary, hatching the dragon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-Nq9_X68os . Contrast this with D:OS where I think more than 95% of what was planned is in.

It's of course a human trait to focus on loss instead of gain, so it's natural that everybody will quickly forget all the extras we added and focus on whatever may be missing. But this is already our biggest and most polished game ever, so it's better to consider anything that comes after release a bonus, not as something that has to be there to be able to play, because it's not. We're releasing a full game, not a part of a game, even if there may be additional things we might have wanted to add. If there are for instance only 3 Ai personalities instead of 5, and you never knew there were going to be 5, for all practical purposes, there always were 3 AI personalities.

We're hoping Divinity:Original Sin is going to be a big success and if it is, we'll add *a lot* of extras. My hope is that we can make this a live game that is continuously improved and expanded upon, with plenty of mods appearing, and we're setting ourselves up for that. Of course we'll only know if this is feasible after it releases, because the sales will determine how much resources we can put into this. But I wanted to mention it here so you know that we're not planning on having a *definite* version. If you do start playing, there will always be a chance that we'll add something while you're playing, but what you are playing will be a complete experience, and whatever we may or may not add will not make that much of a difference for that experience.

All of that said, you can rest assured that what will be there on day 1 will be already more than enough to keep you very busy as there's a very big adventure to be had. There's certainly a lot more there than I ever expected when we started developing D:OS.

Back to my cave.

rionbk #500647 22/06/14 04:28 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah but considering this game seems like a 50+ hour campaign (if the beta content is only 30%?) I am not keen on taking chances.

As hardcore RPG geek I gotta say, if you talk about patching in *content* to an RPG original campaign then whatever is before that patch isn't finished

Is there clear info on what will be patched in post-release? Because if thats game features and content then I am gonna pass playing this game on release and will consider the "release" whenever that patch hits. I have a very very low tolerance for campaign changes or feature additions or drastic balance changes in my running campaigns as well. When I start, I will even set steam to offline just to be 100% sure it doesn't patch in something that breaks my campaign. I made this mistake once with another game and won't repeat it ;P

I waited months since the KS and can wait a few more months if that's what it takes.

rionbk #500709 22/06/14 08:26 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Dude. Try reading what the man said again.

"Yeah, but" meaning "I don't like what you said. Say something else" doesn't usually get you very far, but if you have to go there, good luck with that.

They're releasing a game. You can play it or not.

If they release more content for it later, you can continue playing it or not.

If you don't want to "risk" playing the game the way they release it, then don't.

Every damn game ever released gets patched multiple times after release, and sometimes they add new content via patches. None of that is new.

There are a lot of "hardcore RPG geeks" who wouldn't agree with your statement about finished games.

There are a lot of entitled, self-described "hardcore" players of all kinds of games who would agree with you entirely, I'll give you that much.

Link Copied to Clipboard