Next Thread
Print Thread
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
****SPOILERS****

Hey! I'm trying to assault the fire skellies past the two legionnaires-turned-undead at the grain mill, to the north-east of Cyseal, and would love to do so with the rain spell handy. However, this latest update has taken the rain skillbook from Cylia in the market, whom I've bought it from all times before. Does anyone know where I can get it now?

I've tried Arhu, the witch and rogue vendor in the upper part of the inn, and every other merchant I can think of to no avail.

Each vendor sells a random assortment of skillbooks, differing each time. They also refresh now and again so either you keep trying, or you buy it later if/when it appears.

It's not guaranteed each time.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
I can verify this as well. The spells are random and never have the one you want lol. Just keep coming back and she'll have it eventually.

C
C
You might have better luck making rain scrolls though. It only requires a single level of craftsman to make parchment. Then it's the luck of the draw when making blank scrolls. Save before using the magic inkpot on the parchment and if you don't get several water blanks, reload.

If you need to know all the steps to craft a magic scroll, just let me know and I'll walk through all the ingredients and steps.

Last edited by crpgnut; 19/06/14 05:26 PM.

'nut
addict
addict
i have not crafted yet. would be very much appreciated if you elaborated on crafting magic scrolls hehe

Last edited by 4verse; 19/06/14 05:42 PM.

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Haha I'm going to need a list of crafting recipes once this all goes live.

C
C
okay, crafting scrolls.

First thing you need to make is a quill and inkpot. Find a pillow. Drag a knife to it and it will creat a feather. Drag a knife to the feather and it will make a quill. Inkpots are found on desks all over town. You can steal one from Arhu, the Legion Captain, et al. Drag the two items together and you get the needed combo.

Next it needs to be enchanted. You need pixie dust to enchant anything. Pixie dust can be bought from the Weaver at the end of time or made from stardust herbs and bone dust. Grind those two items in a mortar and pestle. One bag of each, when combined, makes pixie dust. Moonstone gems can be used in a pinch but those are best saved for staff enchantments.

drag a pixie dust bag over a quill and inkpot and it becomes magical.

any piece of paper, when covered in pixie dust becomes a blank scroll of one of the magic skills. It is somewhat random, so save before trying if you don't have a lot of paper. BTW, you never have to make paper yourself as every note is enchantable with pixie dust. You can make your own paper, but it's a step I won't cover here.

Finally, drag your magic inkpot over blank scrolls and they will become a random spell of that skill. In your case, drag it over blank water scrolls.

This sounds complicated, but it is very easy once you've done a couple. My guys have about 80 scrolls at level 5, although I do make parchment.

'nut
addict
addict
thx, much appreciated!

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Wow, thanks for the advice. That's a lot more complicated than i imagined laugh

C
C
Crafting is a mixed bag. Things like scrolls are very easy to find stuff for and make, though it takes a million steps to set up. You can improve a weapon or armor at all times but one of the rarest ingredients in the game is sinew. I found like 5 sinew in a whole play through. That makes improving a bow almost impossible. This was somewhat addressed in one of the patches, but it still wasn't found on creatures until 7th or 8th level, which is 3/5 through the game. Crafting recipes are found in books, although not nearly all of them.

Also, crafting "should" be about making an item with the exact effects you want. That isn't how they went about it. Instead of being able to make a fireball scroll, you can make some type of fire scroll, perhaps a spell you can cast at will. You can make a magic staff, but can't decide what effect (water, earth, fire) it will have, it's random.

There were a lot of idiotic decisions around crafting, yet it is still fun in spite of those.

Last edited by crpgnut; 20/06/14 08:48 PM.

'nut
addict
addict
agreed, random crafting seems unreasonable, since most players will just save/load until they get what they want. i guess a mod that lets you chose what to craft will be out soon as well.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by 4verse
i guess a mod that lets you chose what to craft will be out soon as well.

Word.

Without the toolset, this looks like a fun game with some flaws. With the toolset - presuming it's usable - all bets are off, and this looks potentially awesome.

Vis NWN, Morrowind, Torchlight 2 etc. A usable toolset opens up huge possibilities for longevity and playability.

Link Copied to Clipboard