Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Invasmani

There are a number of RPGs that have these limitations and all of them are low budget and of poor quality.

Well, by all appearances we're about to see that trend broken, aren't we?

Or did I misread an implication into what you wrote?

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by PeteNewell

Well, by all appearances we're about to see that trend broken, aren't we?

I'm not so confident about the interface.

No word of keyboard movement, so for all practical purposes I won't be able to play the game. I remember Dragon Commander being sluggish in responding to mouse clicks and doesn't seem like I have reason to believe otherwise here. Then we have the inventory, the wonky targeting, and probably others. I don't understand why Larian is so anti-usability. But I'm also reasonably confident that in time we'll have all of this and more, when we just keep complaining.

F
stranger
stranger
F
Here are some suggestions I thought up. I don't know if these have already been suggested.

1. Ability to manually enter the item quantity when separating a stack of items. (E.g. 4 potions or 10 gold). The current slider becomes imprecise when dealing with large quantities.

2. Checkmark system to unlink characters instead of dragging them to the right.

3. Waypoint shrines with names on the map.

4. Multiple items of the same type should stack. (Copies of the same book).

Last edited by Frostbite; 21/06/14 12:02 PM.
E
apprentice
apprentice
E
After browsing skill book traders n-th time I've understood what I'm missing. We need ALT to show skill icons instead of skill book icons. This will make it much easier to find needed skill.

M
Mikus Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
M
Originally Posted by Singbird
Then we have the inventory, the wonky targeting, and probably others. I don't understand why Larian is so anti-usability. But I'm also reasonably confident that in time we'll have all of this and more, when we just keep complaining.

I think saying Larian is "anti-usability" is going a bit far, but I agree with your basic point. My take on the alpha/beta is the devs have focused almost entirely on balancing gameplay according to player feedback - and although you can't please all the people all the time, they ended up spending extra time flip-flopping (a bit) on some gameplay aspects. But although quests, combat, loot, etc. are the "core" entertainment drivers of any RPG, if they're packaged in an interface that's less than user-friendly, the entire game experience suffers.

Don't get me wrong - as I've posted elsewhere in this thread, Larian has clearly been listening to our UI feedback, as seen in the slight improvements made with each update. I'm just a little disappointed that - considering some critical inventory/character management fixes that have yet to be made, and that have been standard in other RPGs for many years - this area doesn't seem to be much of a priority for them. But these hard-working folks have pulled off great things before. Here's hoping for more progress on the UI with patches (or in some cases... mods).

M
Mikus Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
M
I just briefly tested out today's patch. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any additional UI fixes/improvements from this thread (at least not the ones I've been complaining about wink ), with one (partial) exception: the recently introduced bug where your character portrait order isn't saved upon reload was fixed, but there's still the related bug where the party formation isn't saved, and neither is the identity of the currently selected character.

At this point, I only hope Larian hasn't stopped trying to give the UI the polish it deserves post-launch through patches. Fingers crossed...

Support
Support

There are updated cursors (becomes wand when casting spell), and the stealing cursor is now red (or so I've heard).

M
Mikus Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
M
Raze, you're right about the stealing cursor - it's definitely easier for me to distinguish the new dark red color from the pale yellow (?) icon used for non-owned containers. This does help with one of the requests I made in the OP (not exactly what I requested, but it mostly solves the underlying issue). Thanks!

J
stranger
stranger
J
I must have missed the discussion about how to divide stacks of items like healing potions. I was never able to figure it out while playing, even after clicking, right-clicking, double-clicking, etc. There's no tool tips about this, either. To me, inventory management is one of the most awkward features of D:OS.

W
journeyman
journeyman
W
Ability to remap controls to the numpad.

M
Mikus Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
M
Jim - you need to shift-click to divide item stacks. I agree this isn't made clear, though.

Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard