Print Thread
#500384 21/06/14 04:07 AM
R
Ripper Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
I just got back fro being away from home for 2 days. In my absence there seems to have been a divinity update, even though my Steam hasn't downloaded one (that I can see) and there are no patch notes anywhere on the forum or Steam news for DoS.

And yet all my saves that worked a few days ago are now incompatible. Argh! Mostly I'd just like to know what was actually patched/changed? I love reading it.

Anyone know? Thanks!

Ripper #500388 21/06/14 04:47 AM
Support
Support

Here is the Steam changelist for update 1.0.112. The 1.0.115 hotfix after that fixed some Mac issues, cut the value of candles drastically (and I hadn't sold my stash looted from the tutorial dungeon yet), and a couple other things.

Raze #500398 21/06/14 06:50 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Raze

Here is the Steam changelist for update 1.0.112. The 1.0.115 hotfix after that fixed some Mac issues, cut the value of candles drastically (and I hadn't sold my stash looted from the tutorial dungeon yet), and a couple other things.

Don't hate me for reporting the candle prices. rpg006 There was like 1500 gold worth of candles in that dungeon alone. It was crazeee.

Ripper #500405 21/06/14 08:26 AM
Support
Support

I don't, but I'm kind of annoyed that I added info to support your complaint (that I'd looted 85 candles), and didn't sell them when I had the chance.

Raze #500480 21/06/14 08:10 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I don't hate you for spoiling, Gyson. You make me tired, but I don't hate you.

I just wish you spent far less effort on trying to make sure that everyone else plays the game the way you consider proper, and spent more time figuring out what you wanted to do, and then doing it. I expect you're going to hate the mods people come up with.

And I'm going to ask nicely, although I'm not sure it will do any good:

Please don't gloat. You know other people don't agree with you, and you know some of them feel strongly about it. You're not winning points, here.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Raze

I don't, but I'm kind of annoyed that I added info to support your complaint (that I'd looted 85 candles), and didn't sell them when I had the chance.

OMG that's 4250 gold in candles. Yeah, that's crazy. It was all going to be gone in two weeks anyway, though.

----------

Originally Posted by PeteNewell
I don't hate you for spoiling, Gyson. You make me tired, but I don't hate you.

I just wish you spent far less effort on trying to make sure that everyone else plays the game the way you consider proper, and spent more time figuring out what you wanted to do, and then doing it.

This is interesting, because there have been a few "should the game work this way/is this balanced" topics on the forum for a variety of subjects, and nobody seems to be able to agree on where the line between personal choice and "bad for the game" is drawn. Summons xp, trait interaction, loot generation, skill balance, item pricing - it seems nobody can agree.

That is why, ultimately, the best thing to do is raise the question and let the developers decide how they want their game to work. Argue in favor or against the subject of the topic, but not against the topic itself being raised in the first place. That's a problem several people need to work on, in my opinion.

You used the word "spoiling" and the concept of "making sure everyone plays the game the way you consider proper" rather than "reporting a potential balance issue", and it gives me the impression you were fine with candles being worth 50 gold each. Am I getting the wrong impression there?

I've heard people argue that money is incredibly easy to come by in this game, and candles selling at 50g per may have been contributing to some of those reports. Nobody ever seems interested in talking about how all that money is being made, though (which is odd for an alpha/beta testing situation). Who knows if this had anything to do with it; perhaps there are other items like the candles out there that someone is intentionally not bringing up (which is disappointing, in my opinion).

That said, alpha/beta slots are essentially sold, and once a developer goes down that route it's hard to expect everyone to be here to aid with testing. It is what it is.

Originally Posted by PeteNewell
I expect you're going to hate the mods people come up with.

This has come up before and the answer is the same: I really don't care how people mod their game. I'm not trying to balance modded games, only the official campaign Larian ships. Anyone who mods their game is completely aware that they are, in some way, altering the campaign in a way the developers chose not to.

Ripper #500499 21/06/14 09:52 PM
C
C
The candles were the only reason to do the tutorial dungeon, so it saves about two hours of tedium.

'nut
Ripper #500502 21/06/14 10:12 PM
veteran
veteran
They always had the option of renaming them to "Valuable ancient candle relic" and leaving the price as is. What merchant doesn't want 200 year old wax? wink

Gyson #500522 21/06/14 11:38 PM
Support
Support
Originally Posted by Gyson
OMG that's 4250 gold in candles.

The base value may have been 50 gold, but the sell value at the start of the game (a few rep points and 0 or 1 in barter) was only 21 or 22.

Gyson #500662 22/06/14 05:34 PM
journeyman
journeyman
They always had the option of renaming them to "Valuable ancient candle relic" and leaving the price as is. What merchant doesn't want 200 year old wax? wink

Who knows, the merchant could be saving up wax to make a Wax Golem...
[Linked Image]

Click to reveal..
Gyson #500683 22/06/14 06:56 PM
G
stranger
stranger
G

I've heard people argue that money is incredibly easy to come by in this game, and candles selling at 50g per may have been contributing to some of those reports. Nobody ever seems interested in talking about how all that money is being made, though (which is odd for an alpha/beta testing situation). Who knows if this had anything to do with it; perhaps there are other items like the candles out there that someone is intentionally not bringing up (which is disappointing, in my opinion).

Paintings sell for around 450g each, and there's plenty to steal in Cyseal.
Without these, though, I have no idea how I could make the money to buy skills or gear upgrades.

Ripper #500710 22/06/14 08:28 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
You had to point that out, didn't you? Now Gyson will want the paintings to sell for less, so the game stays pure...

Ripper #500724 22/06/14 09:03 PM
P
P
Obviously I have been stealing the wrong paintings. Starting out I can't get more than 75 for them.

PatrickSJ #500726 22/06/14 09:15 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Ya there are plenty of them all over Cyseal..last I checked I had built up 6k through just looting..with more to spare, all by level 4. silence

Click to reveal..
Ripper #500801 23/06/14 06:15 AM
addict
addict
i think Larian should implement a job system for Gyson so he can earn the money needed to buy skills etc. through solid, hard, old school work ... like washing dishes in the tavern, giving the tavern's floor a sweep, cleaning the weapons of other heroes traveling through Cyseal etc. :hihi:

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
crpgnut #500857 23/06/14 12:45 PM
R
Ripper Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Originally Posted by crpgnut
The candles were the only reason to do the tutorial dungeon, so it saves about two hours of tedium.

The reason to do the tutorial dungeon is that you get over halfway to level 2. Then you just kill the drunk guards at the bridge and presto, instant level 2.

The dungeon takes about 15-20 minutes. Not sure where you pulled 2 hours from.

Originally Posted by Glamour

Paintings sell for around 450g each, and there's plenty to steal in Cyseal.
Without these, though, I have no idea how I could make the money to buy skills or gear upgrades.

Money is a bit slow in the beginning unless you have pickpocket, but even without sneak/pickpocket skills you can just "sneak" around town (mostly inside) and loot things. The mayor's office, the library upstairs, Arhu's study, etc. If you scavenge around in the world you'll find enough to sell to get your money rolling. I had like 30,000 gold by the time I finished the beta section, and that included spending lots of money on things along the way.

Also its pretty easy to loot the cyseal villa when you are level 2 or 3. Just avoid the level 7 skeletons and you can get several chests worth of high end loot to use or sell.

I find having a few points into Lucky Charm helps find extra goodies. Just make sure that character opens up things so it will have the chance to have a "lucky find"

Last edited by Ripper; 23/06/14 12:51 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard