Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by LeBurns
Originally Posted by Edvin

Yes, that is possible.
Or it also could be an allusion, that we will not see any sex cut-scenes, as it does bioware.

The possibilities are simply too many.

I prefer "Fade to Black" to be honest. Worked fine in BG2, FO1&2, FONV and KotOR1&2, etc. ME1 had a real scene that was tasteful but it scared the crap out of them because of media reaction. The following underwear grinding in DAO, DA2 and ME2&3 were enough to make me vomit.

If the connection that can lead to romance or just a 'Friends with Benefits' option just goes to a Fade to Black, I'm all fine with that.

As long as it's not BioWare clothed sex I'm fine. Fade to black or Witcher style show everything work just fine.

addict
addict
Personally I think The Witcher scenes are a little over the top for something that's just supposed to be a game. I mean I don't mind the scenes per say ... but damn I have the internet for that crap.

journeyman
journeyman
Call me old fashioned, but I prefer romance from Baldurs gate 2.
Long and rich dialogue where you can see the emerging relationship.

I don't need any scenes, pictures or fade to black.

Support
Support

Since the story of D:OS connects with the pre-story of DD, I would guess the Original Sin was a tad bit more related to magical forbidden knowledge than romantic. The mage guild was doing some experiments that had Duke Hark Ferol execute their leader and expel the rest from Stormfist castle, which eventually lead them to make a deal with the Lord of Chaos in order to survive and get revenge.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Robcat
Well I'm glad we agree about the relevance but I disagree that it's actually connected to romance wink You're saying that some religious families talk about sex education in terms of the concept of Original Sin. How does that work?

Sorry, life happens. As far a direct connection, I can't recall a direct connection. It was shown to us 2nd graders (some 35yrs ago), we were all born out of sin(sex), and therefore had to be baptized.

I believe the interpretation that O.S. and sex are hand in hand is a product of modern society..check out this
[Linked Image]

This is modern culture in a nutshell..tell me what Ideas you get from looking at the picture. think

Click to reveal..
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by daft73
Well I'm glad we agree about the relevance but I disagree that it's actually connected to romance wink You're saying that some religious families talk about sex education in terms of the concept of Original Sin. How does that work?

Sorry, life happens. As far a direct connection, I can't recall a direct connection. It was shown to us 2nd graders (some 35yrs ago), we were all born out of sin(sex), and therefore had to be baptized.

I believe the interpretation that O.S. and sex are hand in hand is a product of modern society..check out this
[Linked Image]

This is modern culture in a nutshell..tell me what Ideas you get from looking at the picture. think

Disclaimer: My knowledge on religious matters is not very deep and originates from historical novels and some basic facts told at school. So, please take the following interpretation with the grain of salt.

As far as I can remember the reason why original sin and sex are connected is the following. When Eve offers Adam the apple, they both gain knowledge and recognise that they are both naked (compare 7th verse on http://bibleontheweb.com/bible/ASV/Genesis-3) Hence, a logical conclusion is that they make love to each other and are banished from paradise for this wicked deed (I could imagine that a hint for this interpretation is that before this verse Eve is referred to as a "woman" and after that she is refereed to as a "wife".) Therefore the original sin is the first time Adam and Eve have sex.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Elwyn
Disclaimer: My knowledge on religious matters is not very deep and originates from historical novels and some basic facts told at school. So, please take the following interpretation with the grain of salt.

As far as I can remember the reason why original sin and sex are connected is the following. When Eve offers Adam the apple, they both gain knowledge and recognise that they are both naked (compare 7th verse on http://bibleontheweb.com/bible/ASV/Genesis-3) Hence, a logical conclusion is that they make love to each other and are banished from paradise for this wicked deed (I could imagine that a hint for this interpretation is that before this verse Eve is referred to as a "woman" and after that she is refereed to as a "wife".) Therefore the original sin is the first time Adam and Eve have sex.

Well put, I think I needed another cup o' coffee. cheer

Last edited by daft73; 23/06/14 02:37 PM.

Click to reveal..
addict
addict

[Linked Image]

The original sin had nothing to do with sex. The original sin was from the temptation of wanting to be like gods by eating the fruit. Sex had nothing to do with it ... well ... unless you're talking about that movie ...

Now if the Original Sin in this game is the desire to be 'Like God', then it all becomes relevant.

Not sure how this discussion about romance or not got on this train though.

Let's assume that "Original Sin" in the game's name has nothing to do with sex or romance and get back on track shall we.

journeyman
journeyman
The original sin had nothing to do with sex. The original sin was from the temptation of wanting to be like gods by eating the fruit. Sex had nothing to do with it ... well ... unless you're talking about that movie ...

Now if the Original Sin in this game is the desire to be 'Like God', then it all becomes relevant.

Where does this idea spout from, interesting concept..but I don't quite understand the connection. Having Original Sin is not god-like, but very mortal. It is one, of many, things that separates us from being gods(according to religious interpretation.)

From wiki
' Adam is recognized by some as having brought death into the world by eating the forbidden fruit. Because of his sin, his descendants will live a mortal life, which will end in death of their bodies'

So it seems to be the opposite, so one could say because we are not god-like, we must work hand-in-hand(ie the game cover) to overcome our defects as mortals.

Last edited by daft73; 23/06/14 03:02 PM.

Click to reveal..
addict
addict

Not to all 'Sunday School' on the topic, but obviously, whoever taught that was woefully uneducated in the Bible. Sex is not sinful, unless done outside of marriage (fornication/adultery/sodomy). We are all born out of sin - and we do all need to be baptized - but it's passed down from us men, because of the failure of Adam. It has nothing to do with sex, and everything to do with the sinful nature of Adam we've inherited. This is the reason Jesus was born without sin, because he had no earthly father to pass sin onto him.

Where does this idea spout from, interesting concept..but I don't quite understand the connection. Having Original Sin is not god-like, but very mortal. It is one, of many, things that separates us from being gods(according to religious interpretation.)

From wiki
' Adam is recognized by some as having brought death into the world by eating the forbidden fruit. Because of his sin, his descendants will live a mortal life, which will end in death of their bodies'

So it seems to be the opposite, so one could say because we are not god-like, we must work hand-in-hand(ie the game cover) to overcome our defects as mortals.

The concept of being "God-like" is that they desired to know the difference between good and evil. Prior to eating the fruit, they did not know what evil was. Afterwards, their eyes were opened. Also, there's no reason to believe they were immortal in the garden of Eden, as God explicitly expelled them so that they wouldn't eat from the tree of life, and become immortal.

Okay, church lesson is over for today. You may now proceed to your regularly scheduled discussion. smile

Last edited by Jito463; 23/06/14 03:08 PM. Reason: Added additional reply
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Jito463

Not to all 'Sunday School' on the topic, but obviously, whoever taught that was woefully uneducated in the Bible. Sex is not sinful, unless done outside of marriage (fornication/adultery/sodomy). We are all born out of sin - and we do all need to be baptized - but it's passed down from us men, because of the failure of Adam. It has nothing to do with sex, and everything to do with the sinful nature of Adam we've inherited. This is the reason Jesus was born without sin, because he had no earthly father to pass sin onto him.

Okay, church lesson is over for today. You may now proceed to your regularly scheduled discussion. smile

Thankyou Father Jito463 kitty
[Linked Image]

evil

Click to reveal..
addict
addict
I'm not catholic.....nor am I a pastor. Simply someone who loves to study the Bible.

journeyman
journeyman
I'm not catholic.....nor am I a pastor. Simply someone who loves to study the Bible.
Figured as much, mostly poking fun, I always appreciate peoples thoughts regardless of whether not we agree/disagree. bow

Click to reveal..
Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z

Not to all 'Sunday School' on the topic, but obviously, whoever taught that was woefully uneducated in the Bible. Sex is not sinful, unless done outside of marriage (fornication/adultery/sodomy).

A bit of a simplification. In his first letter to the Corinthians, Paul portrayed sex as the less moral of the two options when compared to chastity, but acknowledged that marital sex was preferable to "burning." This premise colored much of Catholicism's historical viewpoint of sex and it wouldn't be unfair to say there were long periods where it was viewed as a necessary evil. Of course modern Catholics are likely to be much more optimistic, and part of what separated many protestants from early/mid Catholics was that some of the former had more positive interpretations of marital sex. Protestant writer John Milton, for example, portrays the sexual relationship between Adam and Eve in Paradise Lost to be both wholesome and beautiful.

I do largely agree with everything else you posted, though. The Fall and original sin really have very little to do with sexuality, and I would argue the mainstream perception of the terms is cognizant of that.

addict
addict

From wiki

daft73 covers it, but it is from the Bible. They desired the fruit as it would allow them to know the difference between good and evil, thus making them like God in that aspect. Obviously that did't work out like they thought it would.

Again, if this game is about the basis of a man or men, who do something to 'be like a god', then the game name becomes relevant to the biblical original sin.

Sex between Adam and Eve, before or after the fall of man, was never sinful as they were in fact "made for each other" and it was always the intent that they would reproduce.

Last edited by LeBurns; 23/06/14 04:21 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Please, no more Bible...

What about focus the debate on what means "Original Sin" in Divine Divinity world, instead what it means for us?

Although it will still be off-topic, but it will be bearable.

veteran
veteran
Please, no more Bible...

What about focus the debate on what means "Original Sin" in Divine Divinity world, instead what it means for us?

Yeah, I absolutely hate with a passion all things related to any religious text and any form of religion....I would rather worship a zombie, half-fairy unicorn that poops candy....or chocolate cake, that's also awesome. I simply wanted to point out that all the cultural connections and implications have been strongly established by Larian to completely back out and sweep the romance option completely under the rug. A game like DOS I can love because within the fictional world they create everything is real, provable and tangible and no character has to worship any nonsense.

enthusiast
enthusiast
There're a few bits from the earliest announcements of DOS that might give us a clue:
  • The original name for the game is 'eyes of a child'
  • The original background for Rodderick was to be someone who was tortured.
  • The original background for Scarlett was to be someone who was resurrected from death
Altough that information is possibly out of date, considering there's no obligation to have 2 male or female characters.

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Please, no more Bible...

You find the Bible to be unbearable? It's the keystone of the western canon, one of the most enduring and iconic texts that directly or indirectly influences an overwhelming percentage of works written in the western world. What you do or don't feel about its spiritual messages and teachings is your own business and you're entitled to it, but to my eyes this has been a strictly literary and historical discussion of the Bible. And while the topic of original sin might not be in line with the intent of *this thread*, a serious talk about the idea of original sin as it relates to this game that doesn't discuss its Biblical roots is intellectually disingenuous and is likely to go nowhere. Because I find it very unlikely that Larian decided to invoke the idea of original sin without expecting it to allude to the Bible.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zozma
Please, no more Bible...

You find the Bible to be unbearable? It's the keystone of the western canon, one of the most enduring and iconic texts that directly or indirectly influences an overwhelming percentage of works written in the western world. What you do or don't feel about its spiritual messages and teachings is your own business and you're entitled to it, but to my eyes this has been a strictly literary and historical discussion of the Bible. And while the topic of original sin might not be in line with the intent of *this thread*, a serious talk about the idea of original sin as it relates to this game that doesn't discuss its Biblical roots is intellectually disingenuous and is likely to go nowhere. Because I find it very unlikely that Larian decided to invoke the idea of original sin without expecting it to allude to the Bible.

Hahahaha this is precious.....I'd tell you a few things I think about this iconic text of western cannon but 95% would be censored. opa horsey

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard