Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BioDio Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
(I wanted to send directly to the team, but, didn't knew what email I should use, so... yeah)

After Original Sin successful Kickstarter campaign, I started investigating about the Divinity franchise, and found out Divinity Anthology Collectors Edition, that included, a really well written and very informative, Developer Diary (also, very cool to look at, the pages were great).

After playing some Divine Divinity, I started reading the entire Diary, and for my surprise, it was an awesome read.

There was one main thing that was very noticeable throughout my reading (aside from the constant delays of the games), the passion that you guys have to create your vision is something that nowadays is rarely seen, even if some developers have passion to create their games, they have much more resources than some independent studios like Larian, and the idea of - do other comissioned work, to fund and raise money to do a game - is a real stretch! I mean, why "waste" the money of your comissioned work into a game, if you could just be doing comissioned work and be much more stable, (and much more sane, because, those release date days, were very crazy, for Divine Divinity save game issues, and the CD printing of Beyond Divinity).

This kinda proves that, you guys are really giving your best, sometimes, against all the odds. It's a real fight to release such massive games, with limited resources, but, somehow, you made that feat, and after Divine Divinity, Larian Studios has basically raised from the ashes.

I don't know if many other developers would be willing to fix bad game save files manually.

Anyway, let's be a little realistic here, it's nice that you are ambitious and want to make the best game possible, but, don't forget that, there is always room for a sequel (and expansions), one thing that doesn't get featured in one game, can be a feature in another game (you guys have been doing this by now anyway).

It was a very good read, honestly, and you're gonna join my prized studios list, that include - Larian Studios and CD Projekt RED. Because, even if the money helps, passion is always the most important thing, and you guys have tons of it (maybe too much).

If you guys have any Comic on the pipeline (something small, just depicting a small episode of something), please, let me animate it. I've been doing Motion-Comics for a year now, and love animating them. Here it is an example that the guys from Revolution Studios helped me doing it (by giving me the original files) - Broken Sword - Motion Comic - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ2wvcgV6JY
or the guys at FunCom with The Secret World - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPWC36MvyV4

Well, and that's it, you got a new fan, and I already have the DOS CE pre-ordered and paid. Can't wait to actually play it =) it seems like it'll be an awesome adventure!

Very nice diary Swen, it feels like, each Divinity game it's a victory for Larian Studios. Good job! Now it would be great if you guys used the map editor from DOS and created LMK for free as a side project (or work with some fans), and released it on steam workshop =) I can do Motion-Comic cutscenes (maybe for once I use layered photoshop images, yeah, because, all of my animations were manually layered, that's why they kinda seem slow sometimes).

Last edited by BioDio; 23/06/14 10:00 AM.

My gaming Motion-Comics (and others, like normal manga or western style artworks)
https://bio-dio.wix.com/primus-animations
enthusiast
enthusiast
If you enjoyed the diary you should also check Swen's www.lar.net .

BioDio Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Lotrotk
If you enjoyed the diary you should also check Swen's www.lar.net .

Oh nice! Didn't knew about this. I love to read about the "making of" part of big projects, they always have a nice story to tell =) the other one I liked too was the artbook of The Witcher 1, very informative!

My gaming Motion-Comics (and others, like normal manga or western style artworks)
addict
addict
can only hope D:OS will be a huge financial success. if so, only the sky is the limit hehe

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
apprentice
apprentice
amen smile

R
apprentice
apprentice
R
I was honored to be a Kickstarter backer and wish Swen and all the fine people at Larian Studios a great success and hope all their fruits of their labor will be noticed and appreciated.

Cheers!

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I hope Larian kills it with this game. They're one of the few devs out there doing this as a passion, which is why I backed the project.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Hear, hear! Passion shines through. V excited about this release,

BioDio Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by slimgrin
I hope Larian kills it with this game. They're one of the few devs out there doing this as a passion, which is why I backed the project.

In a Kickstarter project, I think the most important thing is passion, because you know, that the people behind it will do everything to make their vision come true.

Link Copied to Clipboard