Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
warg Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello Larian Team,

I read your mail that we can select if we want Steam or non-Steam version in our physical DVD.
I choose non-Steam and will wait patiently till you send it.

Questions:

- is it possible that you give the editor on this dvd too? It would be really cool!

- will the game update automatically, or we have to visit Larian Vault sometimes and download the patches from there?

We are proud to report that we finished our DOS2 localization project (Hungarian). :'-)
https://warg8.jimdofree.com/
addict
addict
I can't speak to your first question, but to the second question, the only version which will auto-update is the Steam version. If you want auto-updates, you should get the Steam copy. Also keep in mind, that the Larian Vault is likely to be the last place to get updates. Their focus will be Steam first (because of the simplicity in submitting updates on their end), then GoG (because of the userbase size) and finally the Larian Vault.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Jito463
I can't speak to your first question, but to the second question, the only version which will auto-update is the Steam version. If you want auto-updates, you should get the Steam copy. Also keep in mind, that the Larian Vault is likely to be the last place to get updates. Their focus will be Steam first (because of the simplicity in submitting updates on their end), then GoG (because of the userbase size) and finally the Larian Vault.

Using the Vault usually gives you a Steam key too and I assume that even if you choose the DRM free copy you still get the Steam key (two in case you ordered the CE)

I assume that this goes for any extra copies from KS as well if you choose the Vault for them (Vault + Steam/Gog key)

* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

It is a full moon night and ... bèèè! ... the Weresheep are out...
enthusiast
enthusiast
BTW I can't find an option to choose between the Steam/non-steam DVD anywhere on the D:OS pledge management pages? Where is it?

* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

warg Offline OP
OP Offline
In my case I pledged for the physical collectors edition and I got an e-mail from Larian that I can choose if I want my DVD with a Steam or non-Steam version of the game. They also wrote that I'll have to wait some more weeks for the non-Steam version but it's not a big issue.

I think I'll play the Steam version, but if they give the possibility I want to have a totally non-Steam version on my DVD. Who knows if Steam will exist forever, I don't want to end up without this cool game. Call my paranoid, but if I can choose, why not? hehe

We are proud to report that we finished our DOS2 localization project (Hungarian). :'-)
https://warg8.jimdofree.com/
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Endre
In my case I pledged for the physical collectors edition and I got an e-mail from Larian that I can choose if I want my DVD with a Steam or non-Steam version of the game. They also wrote that I'll have to wait some more weeks for the non-Steam version but it's not a big issue.

I think I'll play the Steam version, but if they give the possibility I want to have a totally non-Steam version on my DVD. Who knows if Steam will exist forever, I don't want to end up without this cool game. Call my paranoid, but if I can choose, why not? hehe

You do know that the Steam version does not require Steam to run, right? Steam is simply used as the download source.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Endre

Same deal here, but I can't find where I can choose between the Steam/non-Steam version on the Backer Portal...?

G
stranger
stranger
G
Those of us that backed the kickstarter campaign and choose non-steam DVDs, we should receive our copies in August? Is that correct? I received the kickstarter-backer collector's edition, but I was told that the DVD in that box DOES require steam. Can anyone verify this? Thanks.

stranger
stranger
Wouldn't the non-Steam physical version just be the GoG version burned onto DVDs?

It's easy to make something difficult.
It's difficult to make something easy.
G
stranger
stranger
G
Originally Posted by Lividity
Wouldn't the non-Steam physical version just be the GoG version burned onto DVDs?

I don't know. It would be great though to hear from Larian what the deal is with the non-steam version.

journeyman
journeyman
Yes, I got my boxed edition, but I asked for the non-Steam version and even have an email confirmation of that. However, my boxed discs say Steam required??!! What is happening here please?

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch
Support
Support

The DRM free DVDs will be shipped in August.
The CE boxes were shipped early, rather than wait for the DVD production run to be completed, so people would not have to wait for the rest of the box contents (already having a digital DRM free version).

Originally Posted by Jito463
You do know that the Steam version does not require Steam to run, right? Steam is simply used as the download source.
It requires Steam to install, which is going to be a problem for anyone with limited Internet access, a banned (or locked) Steam account - or those preparing for the Great Zombie Apocalypse who want to avoid reliance on anything external.

And for those paranoid about security, having software able to download and execute code on your system without explicit authorisation is a no-no, particularly from a service that's yet to disclose full details of a previous security compromise.

G
stranger
stranger
G
OK, so we were supposed to receive our Steam-free DVD in August. I realize they got pushed back to September, and I am fine with this. However, it's now October and I have not heard anything. What is the latest news? When can we expect to receive our non-Steam DVDs? Please let us know, Larian.

Link Copied to Clipboard