Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon

And if you really want to talk about older artwork for original sin, the female used to wear A LOT less clothes, with some more boobage showing(which is all fine with me) but it was due to massive player complaints they finally put some clothes on her.

I don't see how the eternal bikini armor vs. full plate discussion has anything to do with romances in D:OS. There are alot of games out there with half-dressed women running around without any romances. It's all done just to attract the main audience - teenage male one.

[Linked Image]

You know, this art could just promote that this game has a co-op and that you're gonna have two main playable characters.

If my character cannot dress in a platemail bikini, I will be so disappointed!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Aramintai

You know, this art could just promote that this game has a co-op and that you're gonna have two main playable characters.

Are you seriously blind, in denial or just stupid? I'm not even trying to insult....I'm plain curious. If you seriously fail to notice the shape of those breasts and how overly accentuated they are you've got severe freaking issues. They make a point of having a valley the size of the grand canyon in between those boobs and my other character is holding hands with that grand canyon of boobage....not that I'm complaining. Not to mention the highly sexual coloring to bring attention to the special pats....with a double underline above and bellow the boobs just above the belly button and then the lips. Promoting coop my ass. think

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 24/06/14 11:25 PM.
A
addict
addict
A

Are you seriously blind, in denial or just stupid? I'm not even trying to insult....I'm plain curious. If you seriously fail to notice the shape of those breasts and how overly accentuated they are you've got severe freaking issues. They make a point of having a valley the size of the grand canyon in between those boobs and my other character is holding hands with that grand canyon of boobage....not that I'm complaining. Not to mention the highly sexual coloring to bring attention to the special pats....with a double underline above and bellow the boobs just above the belly button and then the lips. Promoting coop my ass. think

Riight. I'm not blind, just too old to get swayed by some cheap cleavage on the cover, which has nothing to do with romances, btw. And there's no need to call me names and get angry. You're just speculating, I'm just speculating. We can do this all day and not get any closer to the answer to the op question. That is, until the devs finally come swooping in, or when we'll finally play the game and see for ourselves.

Last edited by Aramintai; 24/06/14 11:37 PM.
T
terra Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
im following this topic but i dont usually post now because we are on the territory of personal opinion.

BUT... "Are you seriously blind, in denial or just stupid?"... stupid... was that really necessary???

the pictures that you guys are talking about so much...well... they can be interpreted both ways ok.

lets try to keep this civil right!?

I think her cleavage is rather modest. Now, the horn on the guy's shoulder plate, talk about racking up bills when visiting glassware boutiques. smile

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Aramintai

Riight. I'm not blind, just too old to get swayed by some cheap cleavage on the cover, which has nothing to do with romances, btw. And there's no need to call me names and get angry. You're just speculating, I'm just speculating. We can do this all day and not get any closer to the answer to the op question. That is, until the devs finally come swooping in, or when we'll finally play the game and see for ourselves.

I wasn't angry at all, of course you might not be used to being called stupid in calm manner but I'm just curious. Nothing else. If you seriously can't see the obvious plain as daylight in front of your eyes there's definitely a problem. This picture could serve as an awesome sexuality test for guys. "What do you see....are you thinking this is promoting coop and letting you can control two characters? If the answer is yes I have bad news."

No I'm not angry nor am I attacking you in any way, I'm just laughing right now. laugh

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 25/06/14 12:25 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
I'll try to summarize the entire contents of the topic:

1) All images and texts that Larian during the development of Original Sin maded, practically promised that game will have romance.

2) In a recent video chat, (conveniently, short time before the release) it was denied.

3) We are angry and we want what was promised!

The problem is not what it means "Original Sin" or whether the game should have a romance.
Larian should not promise what did not plan to comply!

Last edited by Edvin; 25/06/14 12:33 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm sorry Darth if I've upset you (judging by your swearing). And I in no way meant to imply that you define romance as sexual by nature (this was the opposite of my intention). That comment was simply my effort to shed some light on how people's perceptions of what the artwork, title and definition of romance itself means will vary, and thus their implications are not some indisputable fact. It was also meant to raise the question of just what it is that people are expecting when they say 'romance' has been advertised. It was not a personal comment directed at you though I see how it could be interpreted that way, I could have been clearer in that regard.

And granted my last post was pretty circular in that it was more just asserting my point of view than substantiating it. I did say the art or title doesn't imply romance to ME, and had hoped that my mere disagreement would be pause for thought about what may be actually implied.

I don't believe the artwork or title necessarily implies romance at all.

Holding hands does not have to be a romantic gesture as it could be indicative of friendship, a familial bond, a begrudging cooperation to achieve a certain goal or some other example of complex human relationships. As Swen says in the RPS article, "..the holding hands has nothing to do with romance. You'll have to figure that out for yourself when you're playing the game."

I also don't think that red lipstick or showing skin on the female protagonist has to have anything to do with a romantic relationship with her male counterpart. Scarlett may enjoy wearing them, or may be trying to make herself attractive for other reasons than to appeal to Roderick. Or the artist may have just thought it looked hot/good. Are you really arguing that her lipstick and exposed skin show that she is in, or desires a romantic relationship?

The title, as previously discussed ITT, may mean something very different to the biblical and cultural interpretations of humanity's original sin, regardless of how strongly one associates defying god with adam and eve's subsequent change in relationship. It would be presumptuous to assume that the title implies romance in the game, considering the many story directions it could be taken that are only limited by our imagination. The title is interesting to me precisely because of the complexity of the cultural associations and because I doubt the writers are aiming for something so trite as to make the game correlate exactly to common interpretations of its cultural meaning.

...they are very deliberately creating certain perceptions and cultural associations....

I think they are deliberately playing with perceptions and cultural associations for narrative purposes, which is a very different thing and a common literary device. Of course we will understand their full intent better once we have played the game.

*Edited for punctuation translating from a word doc.

Last edited by Robcat; 25/06/14 01:30 AM.

"Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that" - Leunig
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Edvin
I'll try to summarize the entire contents of the topic:

1) All images and texts that Larian during the development of Original Sin maded, practically promised that game will have romance.

2) In a recent video chat, (conveniently, short time before the release) it was denied.

3) We are angry and we want what was promised!

The problem is not what it means "Original Sin" or whether the game should have a romance.
Larian should not promise what did not plan to comply!

My interpretation is more...

1) The title and some images shown during development are suggestive of the potential for romance in the game. More substantially, some statements were made in updates and a press article that declared there would be romance in the game (if romance is taken to mean the ability to have an interactive relationship between the protagonists that may end up as lovers according to player choices).

2) In a recent video chat a confusing and potentially/seemingly contradictory statement was made that casts this in doubt.

3) Some people are concerned and would like clarification.

An interesting thread resulted but that's all so far...

"Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that" - Leunig
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Robcat
*snip*

...they are very deliberately creating certain perceptions and cultural associations....

I think they are deliberately playing with perceptions and cultural associations for narrative purposes, which is a very different thing and a common literary device. Of course we will understand their full intent better once we have played the game.

*Edited for punctuation translating from a word doc.

I'm not upset, Scarlet isn't just accidentally provocative beyond reason.....if it was just on thing maybe Larian could play ignorance....but it's not, it's not just the title that accidentally happens to feature a man and a woman who accidentally happen to be holding hands and accidentally happen to walk through chaos and it all accidentally happens to have a billion shades of sexual innuendos while it all so conveniently but by complete accident happens to parallel a major story of a core belief in western culture in every way without missing one detail....etc. etc. etc. There's too many accidents there for them to be accidents.

Next up Larian need to thread carefully because they explicitly promised something they've implicitly promised a hundred times more. And it being for narrative purposes that are unknown to us can blow up in their faces big time....the last thing they need to do is play "AHA!! I got you!!" with specific promises. The absolute worst thing they need to do is play bait and switch with a feature taunted, teased and promised many times over. That would be like BioWare trying to excuse their Mass Effect 3 ending as artistic vision and choice after they broke a very established promise made many times over.....they lied and their reasons and excuses sounded like big steaming piles of bull****.

You keep trying to excuse every separate piece by itself and that might work if there weren't so many of them. It's like finding pieces of a dead horse and you argue that the leg there could be of a donkey and maybe the tail is from a cow but how many pieces need to be found before it's undeniably a horse? We've most definitely found the bloody head too. And yes, the title too has got everything to do with all of it....it's just too convenient and matched by too many accidents.

Anyone can twist nonsense all day every day and talk about a pile of dirt like a grand miracle of nature and so on and so fourth but nobody will be fooled because the bottom line is that bull**** is bull****.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 25/06/14 02:07 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Oh, good. Well, we'll have to agree to disagree as I think you're exaggerating the situation and these 'implications'. All I hope for is that you can see that I (and potentially others) don't necessarily see the same extent or significance of romantic implications you do in the art and title. If it wasn't for the fact that Larian explicitly wrote about the potential to be lovers (on a couple of occasions, not a hundred) I wouldn't be expecting any 'romance' at all as it is commonly understood. Make of that what you will.

I agree that Larian will need to tread carefully to avoid a -1 honesty and -2 accountability to their reputation, if they indeed have removed this feature; as they did say it would be in the game, regardless of individual expectations about how it may be implemented. Hell, that was what got me to post ITT in the first place. I greatly respect Larian's honesty and transparency and so would call them out on it if it turns out to be the case, even if I don't particularly want romance in the game. I just really doubt it has been cut for the reasons I've previously described.

veteran
veteran
Oh, good. Well, we'll have to agree to disagree as I think you're exaggerating the situation and these 'implications'. All I hope for is that you can see that I (and potentially others) don't necessarily see the same extent or significance of romantic implications you do in the art and title. If it wasn't for the fact that Larian explicitly wrote about the potential to be lovers (on a couple of occasions, not a hundred) I wouldn't be expecting any 'romance' at all as it is commonly understood. Make of that what you will.

I agree that Larian will need to tread carefully to avoid a -1 honesty and -2 accountability to their reputation, if they indeed have removed this feature; as they did say it would be in the game, regardless of individual expectations about how it may be implemented. Hell, that was what got me to post ITT in the first place. I greatly respect Larian's honesty and transparency and so would call them out on it if it turns out to be the case, even if I don't particularly want romance in the game. I just really doubt it has been cut for the reasons I've previously described.

What I make of it? At the absolute best I think you're ignoring a mountain because it all looks like dirt to you.....except it's kind of big and kind of a pain to sweep under the rug of "if they hadn't said it I'd totally never see any of it"....what with all the boulders and the trees and the animals, not to mention the insects.....but it's challenge accepted in your eyes because by the gods you'll make it all fit under the door rug if it's the last thing you do.

I'm not exaggerating one bit...if I had to point to one painting that best described the biblical story of Original Sin this would be it....that's right this, not the silly pictures of naked people sharing apples....those actually look kind of normal, lovers share all sorts of food in every conceivable way...that's just people being people. But this...this has all the makings of Original Sin...a man and a woman walking hand in hand through ruin and chaos with steely looks of determination and an air of seriousness and gravity that would perfectly fit an act of rebellion that is sure to be met with severe and unavoidable punishment. The colors are gone, everything is bleak except the taint....the highly suggestive red that symbolizes both blood and passion. A picture that evokes feelings that are easy to understand, romantic love and attachment is strong beyond reason or logical sense and a lot of people not only can do a lot of extremely dumb things in the name of because they're willing to risk it all for the slightest chance of success.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 25/06/14 02:47 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
But this...this has all the makings of Original Sin...a man and a woman walking hand in hand through ruin and chaos with steely looks of determination and an air of seriousness and gravity that would perfectly fit an act of rebellion that is sure to be met with severe and unavoidable punishment. The colors are gone, everything is bleak except the taint....the highly suggestive red that symbolizes both blood and passion. A picture that evokes feelings that are easy to understand, romantic love and attachment is strong beyond reason or logical sense and a lot of people not only can do a lot of extremely dumb things in the name of because they're willing to risk it all for the slightest chance of success.

I absolutely agree.
That image directly evokes something like:
" Whatever happens, we'll be together forever. "

enthusiast
enthusiast
The beauty of art - that people can derive different and multiple interpretations from it. Why assume that one interpretation is not only 'correct' (which assumes a specific intent of the artist) but also has specific implications for the game?

I don't deny that you can find those romantic connotations in the art posted ITT, I have merely asserted that I don't see the same significance as you and that they don't necessarily imply romance will be in the game. I don't see this as a contentious view and I don't understand why you do. I tried to clearly state some of my reasoning 3 posts ago which you have dismissed as the proverbial not seeing the forest for the trees.

We obviously have different perspectives. I haven't tried to belittle yours, call you names or say you are speaking nonsense. I would hope that I (and others) could ask for the same.

We could keep arguing I'm sure. How about we agree that I find your perspective limited and you think I'm talking nonsense and leave it at that.

You are welcome to the last rebuttal.

Last edited by Robcat; 25/06/14 03:51 AM.

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
I'm going to play with my best friend (we're both male irl but I play female character). Romance between our characters would be awkward lol.

Last edited by Phenomen; 25/06/14 04:19 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Did you know you can play as two males or two females if you want, any romance strictly optional.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Hey Darth, I know I proposed we let things rest but I came up with a way to explain my point of view, that doesn't negate yours and hopefully makes sense to you wink

Let me put it this way. I don't think anyone would argue that based solely upon analysis of the artwork and title of the game, we could empirically know that romance is in the game. With no other information (eg those update and article quotes) it is a matter of probability, no matter how high or low. It is an assumption, no matter how safe or suspect. While it may be impossible to accurately quantify that probability (not least for the reasons I have been arguing: chiefly that our interpretations of the artwork, title and their connotations will vary and that multiple meanings can be derived from them) I think it fair to say that you consider it more probable than I do. And that's fine.

However, further complicating our argument is the definition of romance. What is romance? The broader the definition we accept the more probable the assumption. For example if it excludes a parameter such as sex the probability increases. If we take a very broad definition such as a feeling of profound intimacy between two people, it becomes highly likely even without the artwork, title or even Larian's statements, as this would be a likely possibility in any story featuring two protagonists that must work together in an interesting cRPG plot.

When I said that based solely on the artwork and title I wouldn't expect any romance as it is commonly understood, I mean that the common conception people have of romance is that it includes a sexual component (I dislike that definition but that is another argument entirely). So I am saying that based solely on the artwork and title, I would not expect the protagonists to have the option to have implied sex in the game, though I would still expect there to be an interesting and potentially intimate relationship.

Can you now see my perspective? I don't refute that the implications and connotations you see in the art and title are there (except your claim relating lipstick and showing skin to romance; though perhaps having elaborated my conception of romance this contention makes more sense to you now in context), I simply disagree with the extent to which they support the overall assumption. Further, I would prefer not to make an assumption at all, especially considering that romantic connotations are far from the only meanings that can be interpreted from the art & title, and that I prefer to take a broad definition of romance that makes speculating about its inclusion seem pointless to me anyway (personally).

My argument with you is essentially that I am challenging how safe you hold this assumption to be, not that you are unreasonable to hold it.

Yet we are also arguing somewhat of a moot point as we both agree in our conclusion that Larian have created an expectation of romance in the game. We need go no further than the quoted updates and RPS article for that. I would however hope that you can now see where I'm coming from, even if we still disagree about the extent of the ramifications of the art and title.

Last edited by Robcat; 25/06/14 09:32 AM.

addict
addict
Well, regardless of what's in the game, my two PC are totally going to bang.

But pictures notwithstanding, the very deliberate written evidence saying that there is friendship and possibly more, is really all the evidence I need to jump on the assumption that romance was promised to be in the game, or at least sex.

Last edited by LeBurns; 25/06/14 12:24 PM.
veteran
veteran
Hey Darth, I know I proposed we let things rest but I came up with a way to explain my point of view, that doesn't negate yours and hopefully makes sense to you wink

Let me put it this way. I don't think anyone would argue that based solely upon analysis of the artwork and title of the game, we could empirically know that romance is in the game. With no other information (eg those update and article quotes) it is a matter of probability, no matter how high or low. It is an assumption, no matter how safe or suspect. While it may be impossible to accurately quantify that probability (not least for the reasons I have been arguing: chiefly that our interpretations of the artwork, title and their connotations will vary and that multiple meanings can be derived from them) I think it fair to say that you consider it more probable than I do. And that's fine.

However, further complicating our argument is the definition of romance. What is romance? The broader the definition we accept the more probable the assumption. For example if it excludes a parameter such as sex the probability increases. If we take a very broad definition such as a feeling of profound intimacy between two people, it becomes highly likely even without the artwork, title or even Larian's statements, as this would be a likely possibility in any story featuring two protagonists that must work together in an interesting cRPG plot.

When I said that based solely on the artwork and title I wouldn't expect any romance as it is commonly understood, I mean that the common conception people have of romance is that it includes a sexual component (I dislike that definition but that is another argument entirely). So I am saying that based solely on the artwork and title, I would not expect the protagonists to have the option to have implied sex in the game, though I would still expect there to be an interesting and potentially intimate relationship.

Can you now see my perspective? I don't refute that the implications and connotations you see in the art and title are there (except your claim relating lipstick and showing skin to romance; though perhaps having elaborated my conception of romance this contention makes more sense to you now in context), I simply disagree with the extent to which they support the overall assumption. Further, I would prefer not to make an assumption at all, especially considering that romantic connotations are far from the only meanings that can be interpreted from the art & title, and that I prefer to take a broad definition of romance that makes speculating about its inclusion seem pointless to me anyway (personally).

My argument with you is essentially that I am challenging how safe you hold this assumption to be, not that you are unreasonable to hold it.

Yet we are also arguing somewhat of a moot point as we both agree in our conclusion that Larian have created an expectation of romance in the game. We need go no further than the quoted updates and RPS article for that. I would however hope that you can now see where I'm coming from, even if we still disagree about the extent of the ramifications of the art and title.

What I am saying is very very simple....Larian intentionally instigated these perceptions about the game, it's part of how they market the game and target their audience. It's VERY safe to say that delivering on the promise of romance is critical for them.....they've made it a critical feature that has to be there should anyone choose to go looking for it in some form or another. They can't just come out and say we assumed wrong because they DELIBERATELY instigated and created those assumptions on purpose. There will be hell if there is no romance in the game.....and it won't be me rising it. Nobody will complain if there's no sex or it the screen goes black or whatever but defining romance is VERY simple....a stated sentiment between the characters that reoccurs at least a couple of times.....given they said they've got like 20 endings iirc it should probably have an influence on the ending too since the end of the journey is all important. You can't just say "well they fought together so that's romance" because again, that's plain bull****.

Larian have painted themselves in a corner regarding romance and not because of the verbal promises there would be romance and it doesn't matter what other interpretations can be derived from the artwork and title and so on because the obvious interpretation just about jumps out and smacks you in the head and that has to be delivered upon. The obvious is obvious is obvious and there's no way out of it.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 25/06/14 12:33 PM.
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard