Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
4verse Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
since backers get a new steam key do we need to re-install the game? i.e. delete/un-install the beta and then download launch version?

Last edited by 4verse; 26/06/14 09:43 AM.

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
4verse Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
perhaps any info from official side?

enthusiast
enthusiast
What you suspect was the case for the transition from DC beta to DC. And I'm convinced so as well. New key -> new product -> new download.

4verse Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
i see. thx. hoped i could play right away.

Support
Support

Move/copy the install folder before release, move it back after, and you should only have to download the update.

4verse Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
will try that. thx for the suggestion!

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Raze

Move/copy the install folder before release, move it back after, and you should only have to download the update.

Do you mean copy/move ..\Steam\SteamApps\common\Divinity - Original Sin to somewhere else while Steam is closed down pre-release of D:OS; then fire up Steam, wait for release to start updating, close down Steam again, then copy/move beta "Divinity - Original Sin" folder back to Steam folder, overwriting everything; then start Steam again...?

How do you know this will work with the release version & has/can anyone from Larian confirm this? Otherwise, why wouldn't a simple Steam update work as per every other game?

I mostly come at night...mostly.
4verse Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Nostromo

How do you know this will work with the release version & has/can anyone from Larian confirm this? Otherwise, why wouldn't a simple Steam update work as per every other game?

if you get a new key for the launch version, its like a new/different game for steam which cannot be simply updated i guess.

Last edited by 4verse; 26/06/14 12:05 PM.

It was good till now that they made it so, so I gave away 2 of my beta keys but I won't lose my final game keys because of this.

Ok, this install thing is a bit confusing, but we only have to survive it this once next week.

Maybe it is also better to re-install the game, since they added quite a lot of patches in the last months. Re-installing may improve stability, who knows?

We are proud to report that we finished our DOS2 localization project (Hungarian). :'-)
https://warg8.jimdofree.com/
Support
Support

I don't know if that will be required, but it should work if the kickstarter keys being revoked requires an uninstall of the beta. If Steam just refuses to launch the game after release until you enter the new key, then it may just automatically update the previous install folder.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Steam store page says "You already own Divinity: Original Sin"

And if it's like the early access game I know so far, it will be seamless... how would a key revoke even WORK with steam? Never heard of something like that. Developers can't just "unlist" games in your library that are listed as "owned" and listed on the steam page as public purchase option.

So seriously, stop worrying about that wink It will be seamless and painless like it ALWAYS is (probably)

What I am wondering is how we get the backer rewards.. because the steam key alone won't give us em, they must be extra keys for DLC?

That said, if it turns out I am wrong then this would be the first time I ever saw a dev delist a key that shows you the ACTUAL game as owned in steam. But hey, ye never know.

Maybe I am totally wrong ;p

Last edited by eRe4s3r; 26/06/14 02:39 PM.
veteran
veteran
For Steam Early Access backers who have purchased the physical collector's edition, I expect the process to be this:

1) Receive physical CE.
2) Open physical CE.
3) Observe useless physical CE game code that can not be added to Steam because you already own the game on Steam.
4) Apply physical CE DLC code to Steam account to upgrade SEA copy of game with DLC goodies.

My only concern is with #4 - since so many SEA backers are experiencing difficulty adding the digital DLC to their accounts, I'm concerned about running into the same problem when attempting to add the DLC code included in the physical CE box.

R
apprentice
apprentice
R
Originally Posted by Gyson
For Steam Early Access backers who have purchased the physical collector's edition, I expect the process to be this:

1) Receive physical CE.
2) Open physical CE.
3) Observe useless physical CE game code that can not be added to Steam because you already own the game on Steam.
4) Apply physical CE DLC code to Steam account to upgrade SEA copy of game with DLC goodies.

My problem with your comments is that we may not receive the physical Kickstarter edition of DoS before or on Monday so we won't have the game code to apply on Steam and would have to needlessly wait.

apprentice
apprentice
Sorry guys, still not clear. If I have a Steam EA beta install right now, will I have to install a whole new release version of the game (how many GBs?), or will the current install just get automagically updated as part of the normal Steam update process?

Seeing I've already bought & installed this EA version, I'm not sure how/when I would get another Steam key or whatever, just doesn't make any sense to me. If Steam needs to uninstall/reinstall most of the game files, that's fine, so long as it doesn't wait for me to hit some button while I'm at work next Mon/Tue smile. (I'm in GMT+10 for the record)

Support
Support

The SEA version will just update.
There is a question for kickstarter backers, since it is unknown exactly how the free alpha/beta keys will be revoked and new ones update.

apprentice
apprentice
Thanks Raze, I knew going the EA (Easy Auto) lazy version would pay dividends! smile
How did we ever live without the Internets & Steam??? Barbarians & savages we were I tells you! wink

Link Copied to Clipboard