Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#502474 29/06/14 08:35 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Reposted this from steam... just in case.
I really feel the Larian Style in this game, and it's good smile

But I believe the game could benefit more from a more complex skill system, which has the possibility of learning new skills or upgrade also via levelup, rather than just via books. There should also be a greater variety of skills, such as Active, Passive and Sustained. Talents are not quite them same thing I fear.

The camera also needs some more work, as it feels a bit awkard right now, the first one at least. the full top-down is 100% working tho, unless I am mistaken.

I also would like to suggest the addition of a new element "Lucens", to be the counterpart of Tenebrium. as the name implies, it should deal mostly holy\light magic, aimed at destroying\rebuking undead smile (unless we can mod it in ourselves, in which case I will gladly do it :))

More racial options: being a fantasy game, I'd love the possibility of roleplaying as a Lich, a Vampire,a Revenant, or even simply as an orc smile each one with ther own bonuses and skills

more control over music and sounds: actually, I admit I haven't quite understood how the BGM system, or in general the sound system works, how 3d sounds are regulated etc.

An additional morality meter: good and evil. I'm probably alone in this, I always found this essential smile after all, I am sure the framework exists already.

More use for corpses: rather than dissipating immediately into unusable ashes, in order to be target for customized skills such as Corpse explosion and reanimate smile obviously, not the PC corpses. cleanup also after a bit, those ashes are a bit irritating lol

beam-like skills: just a thing of mine. I like beam powers laugh

whew, that's all for now, I think.

Last edited by Dark_Ansem; 29/06/14 08:57 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
More racial options: being a fantasy game, I'd love the possibility of roleplaying as a Lich, a Vampire,a Revenant, or even simply as an orc smile each one with ther own bonuses and skills.

You can be (something as) Zombie.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I still haven't reached that point yet :P
but not from the start, right?

Support
Support

There is a Zombie talent you can take, during character creation, or after getting a talent point (on reaching certain levels).

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I'll look for that laugh

veteran
veteran
The game comes out tomorrow. Way too late for any of that stuff to be in the main campaign. Possibly there are some things to think about for an expansion.

Even so, changing the entire skill system is something more suited for another game than an expansion.

I'm not sure what you mean by the camera. It seems to work fine, and they've even recently allowed you to unlock full rotation.

New Elements/Schools are too late, possibly for an expansion.

Larian has vetoed playing as different races, because they don't want to make that just a cosmetic option, and so that would mean writing different reactions for NPC's for all kinds of races. Time, money...

Larian games have never had morality meters unless you count the reputation system, and if I remember right (which I might not be) they aren't that fond of the concept. They tend to prefer to let the player pick what to choose in each circumstance, instead of forcing them to feel like they have to do all one option or all the other.

Those last two things are easier and might be possible in expansions or even mods.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
of course, no one expects stuff to be in for the release. I'm just tossing out so
-I don't forget
-devs can take notice for the wishlist (this old fan could use some more communication tho smile )
-others can express opinions

there is already a morality meter: indipendent-obedient. I mean if it is possible to amplify that system. Violent\non violent; respectful\sassy.... all those things in the end can be summed up as good\evil.

I'd insert personalized comments for each race :P there would be a need for just a "keyword" system:
say, all elven variations would use the elven response, reptilian either, umanoid all the same. that depends also on how much of VA is actually there. and only the first lines (of all npcs, I concede that) would need to be altered.
And it would also be an interesting concept for NPCs. Non-human party members...

about skills: or an overhaul. it also depends on how powerful the toolset it.

about beams: tools do not mention the inclusion of a mesh\particle editor. and I suck at those things, this is one I'd gladly leave to someone other.

About DLC: I'd like to see darker DLC. For example, persian-inspired architecture, and Gothic architecture too. that would be awesome (for me at least)

another way to overhaul specializations: each of them could have a different point cap, each level providing different bonuses for each point spent.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
another thing: make more usage of the points spent for levels, skills, skill trees and talents. have, for example, damage\range scale up accordingly to either skill tree level, talent level or character level

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
another thing: make spell range also dependant to the skill points used: a base value (different for each spell) which increases via a bonus (different for each spell) dependant on how many points are spent on said Class.

EDIT: I also would like to suggest to make spell area dependant on that.

Another feature which I have not yet seen in-game: turn number higher than 1 to cast very powerful spells.

Last edited by Dark_Ansem; 30/06/14 08:33 AM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
opinions, dear users?

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
For passives, that's what conversation bonuses are IMO

Sustained skills would be interesting but since there is no mana in this game, I'm guessing the cost is AP per turn? There are a lot of status type skills with set turn lengths tho so I'm not sure how different they would be from sustained

As for skill revamp I would like a separate shield skill tree from 2 hand melee.

The skills books are ok to me, cleaner and more versatile than skill trees

Your skill damage already scales with it's affiliated stat, more mastery in the skill talent lowers your AP use. I guess your skills doesn't scale with your char level but I feel that's more a personal pref, I don't see a need for it.

Things I want to see in future additions are martial arts skill branch for melee with either fists or maybe claws and staffs (bos)

I don't know if you've ever played guild wars but I would really really love a Mesmer type class, with skills that counter other skills and punish the opponent for using skills that you don't want it to

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
nope, not guild wars..

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Mesmer was like an anti class, you can build it to counter whatever other class you want. But they are situational

E.g. Backfire made mages damage themselves when they cast a spell, diversion made a skill recharge longer by 200%, there was a 'curse' where a physical attack by an opponent would fail and get himself knocked down instead

Stuff like that

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I honestly have no idea..

Link Copied to Clipboard