Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
apprentice
apprentice
Have to agree. Was near the captain at Cyseal Harbour, and one of his crew kept exclaiming to another NPC, "Remember that time when he--?!" You hear the same comment half a dozen times in 1 minute--it gets quite irritating. Also agree that it picks up too many comments at full volume full screens away (ie when you meet Arhu).

Just a thought--if there is concern that delaying NPC comments excessively would make it difficult for players to experience, maybe it could be voiced only every 3rd or 4th time. The text can still display as frequently as it does, only without the VO most times.

It looks as if this problem is driving EVERYONE nuts. Don't they test this stuff? They can't have or the whole Larian team would be in the loony asylum repeating themselves. smile

D2ED + More D2ED + A happy ending = A winner
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Paris
It looks as if this problem is driving EVERYONE nuts. Don't they test this stuff? They can't have or the whole Larian team would be in the loony asylum repeating themselves. smile

No, the voice acting was literally added only the last day before release and the people participating in beta did not have any opportunity to test it.

Last edited by Elwyn; 01/07/14 10:37 AM.
T
stranger
stranger
T

My thought exactly smile. I would like to see the guy that coded this sitting patiently, with audio ON, and reading all dialogues while the NPCs are babbling all the time. I had read some texts twice to understand them. Actually I even attacked guys in docks in the first town so that they shut up...

A
addict
addict
A
Yea, voiceover itself is very nice, but it seems as if it was placed in the game in great haste. Very sloppy. I'm hearing echoes, non-stop repeating npc lines, voice sources coming from all directions all at once, creating cacophony, inaudible protagonists lines when camera is not centered on them etc. I got annoyed with this very quickly and just turned them off completely until better days when someone manages to edit voices in the game properly.
Actually, it was quite nice and quiet without any voices in the beta. Not sure why the devs decided to put them at the last minute, it was not in any stretch goal, no one was really expecting it, or asked to do them on popular demand. Seems like a waste of time and money, that would've been better spent on polishing the game.

Last edited by Aramintai; 01/07/14 10:56 AM.
stranger
stranger

It looks like I am the only one who does not care.
I played for 4 hours yesterday and the whole time I was in Cyceal. The only irritating thing was the two wounded man in the "hospital".
Maybe I am used to block not important sounds since I work in open office with few other ppl talking.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Definitely like the voices, very atmospheric, didn't even mind the amount really, (although was a little too much in the aforementioned marketplace), was mostly just the crashing for me smile

Last edited by Mrrockitt; 01/07/14 11:02 AM.
J
stranger
stranger
J
I haven't NOBODY HAS AS MANY FRIENDS AS A MAN WITH MANY CHEESES really found NOBODY HAS AS MANY FRIENDS AS A MAN WITH MANY CHEESES it that NOBODY HAS AS MANY FRIENDS AS A MAN WITH MANY CHEESES disturbing.

The frequency is a bit high, but the voice acting itself has surprised me positively, really well done.

The incessant repetitiveness is annoying. Please, Larian, tone down the voice frequency!

addict
addict
On the flipside, at least it's not as annoying as Thief, where the same lines are echoed within a few seconds of each other, overlapping.

One example (out of many):

"Are you still pining about the abattoir?"
.........."Are you still pining about the abattoir?"

Now *THAT* is annoying.

Still, I can't disagree with an option to adjust the rate of repetition. I think, rather than spending those last few days to add voices in, they should have held them back for a patch. They were trying hard to make it a better game, but they were pushing themselves too much, and the game suffers because of it.

I'm sure they'll eventually fix these problems, but it's definitely a negative for those playing on launch day (personally, I'm holding off for the moment).

D
Deitri Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Larian updated the game today and said that they are reading users feedback, I hope they read this thread too.

stranger
stranger
+1

I love the game but the repetitive NPC chatter is beyond immersion breaking it hits my nerves. I slider from 10 secs to 2 minutes would be my sweetspot imho.

Larian did update the game but that was a language pack update or something no fixed.

(http://steamcommunity.com/app/230230/discussions/0/522730702197954636/)

Last edited by VienxInq; 01/07/14 04:53 PM.
veteran
veteran
I just hope they read my susggetions lol. and they also could like them smile

R
stranger
stranger
R
+1 more

Enjoying everything in the game except for the immediate repeating npc lines as well frown

a big annoyance any time you're going to be standing in one place for more than 30 seconds.

The frequency (and limited variety, but less so) of the dialogue is certainly an annoyance.

addict
addict
I finally decided to delve in, and I'm not minding the chatter, myself. I tend to tune it out, so it becomes background noise, and sort of makes the city feel alive.

T
stranger
stranger
T
This should be number 1 fix priority at the moment. The NPCs should just say their line like once and then just use text to repeat. I've had to turn off the sound all together after walking around in town for a bit because the repeating dialogs are not only annoying but distract me from reading the text.

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
I agree, there needs to be a 20-30 second delay before voice lines

stranger
stranger
Oh, thank Christ. I'm glad this is being acknowledged so widely. This issue reminds me of the "gather your party" repetition annoyance that plagued Baldur's Gate on its initial release, which I was present for, and the fan reaction was identical to this. Once the first mod came out, that simply added an equal length of an empty sound file, everyone was happy and the game became better -- although, I have to admit, this is worse. As I'm writing this, the game is on in the background, and this cow keeps mooing continually.

I .. I .. I can't talk to you now, cow; please stop.

stranger
stranger
The main problems for me is the repetition in conjunction with the overlapping.
Voices repeating over and over is bad enough, but when they start playing over the top of each other in busy areas, it just becomes a cacophony of noise.
I'd read about this issue before booting it up today, and wondered before hand how bad it'd be. Bad enough to stop me from playing and to find out what's happening about it.

Hopefully it's just a bug, and they've already fixed it.
But I'd like it so that the audio is only triggered once when you are pretty close to the NPCs.
For it to be based on line of sight.
And for there to be a good couple of minutes between the loops.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard