Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#504558 01/07/14 02:35 PM
LeBurns Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
So what are skill books exactly? If you read the book you get the skill for free, or that skill just becomes an option for your character to choose at the next level-up? Can both PC's read the same book?

And how do you get more spells? I have a Cleric, but haven't figure out how he would get more spells and what skills he needs to get more spells?

Thanks.

LeBurns #504580 01/07/14 02:53 PM
P
P
You get the skill right away. Once used the book disappears so it can only be used for 1 character. To get more spells buy them from the market's potion seller (Air, Water), Ahru (Earth, Fire), or the lady in the inn's second floor (Witchcraft, Scoundrel). I've yet to find Man-at-Arms or Expert Marksman sellers.

Also, I've heard that you can combine a scroll with a blank skillbook to get a skillbook with that scroll's spell. Don't know if its true, but worth trying if you get a blank skillbook.

LeBurns #504593 01/07/14 03:01 PM
LeBurns Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
So this is basically a way to add skills in-between level ups?

Is a spell also a book that you read and it's gone?

I suppose that if I find a skill book of a skill neither of my characters want I just sell the book right?

PatrickSJ #504596 01/07/14 03:03 PM
addict
addict
Captain Aureus sells warrior skillbooks and the fletcher in the market sells expert marksman skillbooks. She's just SW of the fountain.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
LeBurns #504597 01/07/14 03:03 PM
D
stranger
stranger
D
There's no such things as a 'Cleric' skill. Cleric is basically a mix of Man-at-arms and Hydro spells

Man-at-Arms skills can be found at Legion leader (eastern part of the town), and water skills are sold by someone on the central market (Enchantress I think)

LeBurns #504606 01/07/14 03:08 PM
LeBurns Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Wait, is Skill and Spell the same thing or am I missing something?

LeBurns #504654 01/07/14 04:03 PM
P
P
Ricochet is an Expert Marksman spell. Expert Marksman is the skill you invest in. Skillbooks do not give you skill points, just spells (skills).

LeBurns #504657 01/07/14 04:05 PM
LeBurns Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Ok, so they are actually spell/talent/special ability books.

Thanks!

LeBurns #505706 02/07/14 03:27 PM
apprentice
apprentice
Sorry to reup topic.

I wonder... it's different as Divine Divinity, so:
Do the spells depend on the level of skills? (I mean, not the level of the player).

So for 'big' spells, do we need to get 5 (level max.) points for skills of abilities? (example: "Summon Air Elemental" needs 4, 5 points in Aerotheurge? Or just 1 point in Aerotheurge + x level of the player?)

Thanks!

Last edited by Drym'; 02/07/14 03:30 PM.
LeBurns #505715 02/07/14 03:38 PM
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Everyone can learn any spell if his level is high enough and he/she has a point in the proper school.
Intelligence makes the AP cost go down and the damage go up (if the spell has damage)
Points into Air, earth, etc lets you use more than 3 spells of that school and more points in those schools unlock abilities (e.g. ice king for hydrosophists)

LeBurns #505716 02/07/14 03:38 PM
LeBurns Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Glad you bumped this cause I have a few more questions also.

I found the fletcher selling Expert Marksman skillbooks, but still not sure about a few things.

1) My ranger has Expert Marksman level 1. I'm currently level 3, but haven't had the option to increase it to level 2 yet. Why?

2) Some of those skillbooks seem like the skill has nothing to do with archery. Is that right?

3) At Expert Marksman level 1 it says I can learn three skills. So I assume these are skills I learn from these books and can place on my hotbar for quick use. Right? Seems like the game started me out with a few already learned ... but I currently shouldn't be able to learn more than 3.

4) The game says that Dexterity increases the Expert Marksman skills? How so? Most the skills list very specific actions, either as % damage increases, etc. So how does a high DEX make that better?

THANKS!

LeBurns #505724 02/07/14 03:48 PM
E
stranger
stranger
E
When you level up you can assign points to the different skills (Man at arms, Hydro, Geo, Scoundrel, etc.) in your Character sheet. Each time you assign a point in one of those, you can learn more spells/skills of this school.

1 point = 3 spells/skills
2 points = 5
etc.

Under your character portrait on the left, you will see an icon under each face. One for Inventory, the other for Skills. If you click on Skills you will see a tab for each schools and the number of spells/skills you have learn and that you can still learn. For example you may have learn 2 out of 3 skills in the Man at Arms school.

Also, if you learn a spell/skill, it is possible that it will cost more Action points in combat if you have only 1 point in your character SKills for this school.
Example: Fireball spell cost 9 Action points to cast if you have 1 point in Pyro school skill
It will cost 7 I think if you have 2.
And perhaps less if you have 3 or more.

You cannot learn some spells/skills unless you have the good level.
Example: (I think) To be able to read and learn the Summon Ice Elemental Book spell, you need to be level 7.

It is an interesting way of learning spells/skills and becoming better. Each point make a huge difference in your fights and it is very fun to make that choice everytime you level up.

Last edited by Etdashou; 02/07/14 03:49 PM.
LeBurns #505740 02/07/14 04:07 PM
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Yep, I forgot to write in my prev post that points into the respective school lower the AP cost of spells.

e.g. If i made a man-at-arms char and level to max
then put 1 point into expert marksman I can learn the highest level marksman skill, no problem.
BUT it will do almost no damage/heal and it will cost probably more AP than I have.

So:

int/str/dex increase "potency" of spells (be it damage or heals)
schools increase amount of spells you can carry and lower their AP

The default Hotkey for your spells is "K".
You can unlearn skills there if you have no free slot and the new one is better.
BUT: any unlearned skill is GONE, you have to find another skillbook to activate it again.

LeBurns #512202 07/07/14 07:10 PM
L
stranger
stranger
L
guys, i have killed captain Aureus, so i'm unable to buy Man-at-arms skillbooks frown will there be next city when I advance the main story, or i'm stuck?

lobach #512205 07/07/14 07:18 PM
V
stranger
stranger
V
There are several vendors for each of the skill classes as you progress.

Viperswhip #512226 07/07/14 07:33 PM
L
stranger
stranger
L
Thank you! That's a good news!

LeBurns #512227 07/07/14 07:33 PM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Since the game is not completely linear the next vendor you see varies! depending on your choices! you will see your next vendor

at your homestead or Silverglen

Link Copied to Clipboard