Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
Hi there, I have been enjoying this game greatly except for two problems I hope someone can help me with.

The first is that tap-to-click functionality of the trackpad seems to only work intermittently. It works for clicking on a spot on the ground to run to, but not in most menus or dialogs. This is not the end of the world, but it does make my fingers quite tired and I'd prefer if tap-to-click worked everywhere.

The second, and more troublesome, is that the dark areas of the game--inside of buildings and dungeons--are SO DARK that I cannot see almost anything. The outside areas are bright and normal but once I step inside a house, everything is so dark that I can barely see what NPCs or objects are there. This still happens with my monitor brightness turned all the way up and graphics settings on High. It is going to be a real problem avoiding traps and seeing where puddles are inside of caves and such.

I'm playing on a 2012 MacBook Pro with OS 10.8.5, 8 MB of RAM, 2.3 gHz Intel Core i7, and an NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M graphics card. (It is a MacBook Pro Retina so it has dual graphics cards.) As far as I can tell, I meet or exceed all system requirements for the game, but I know very little about fixing such technical issues so if anyone has any suggestions I would be very appreciative.

Elverils/Larian Studios
Elverils/Larian Studios
I will work with our Mac graphics engineer and he will determine whether Mac is different in brightness.

But you always have gamma correction, no need to tweak brightness. Use it!

E
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
Hi, thanks for the reply. I tried the gamma slider and it does work to make the game more visible indoors, but then the outside portions are too bright and washed out. It seems there's no "sweet spot" where both are at a good level of brightness. I guess for now I will just change it when going into a dungeon where I will be there for a long time, and in town portions I will just deal with the odd brightness.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Hey, sorry you're having this issue. Could you give an example of where you see this occurring? If you can, toss me a screenshot so I can get a visual on it. Also, coordinates would be useful.

Last edited by allthingscandid; 02/07/14 06:12 PM.
P
P
So far I've been to the tutorial & cave under the graveyard. Both are hard-to-see even when lit.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Are you the same person as ephemeraltoast? If not, what are you machine specs? Also, would you mind sending a screenshot of one of the dark areas?

P
P
Nope, not the same person. Also, my MacBook Pro has the standard glossy screen and this is one of those games where blacks & dark areas are too black (does that make sense?) Even in a lit area the shadows can make most objects invisible.

Arrows point to areas that look solid black to me.
[img]http://imgur.com/wkdBbxB[/img]

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by ephemeraltoast
Hi there, I have been enjoying this game greatly except for two problems I hope someone can help me with.

The first is that tap-to-click functionality of the trackpad seems to only work intermittently. It works for clicking on a spot on the ground to run to, but not in most menus or dialogs. This is not the end of the world, but it does make my fingers quite tired and I'd prefer if tap-to-click worked everywhere.

The clicking problem is not specific to the MacBook. It's happening on my Vaio as well (with click pad). I think the game just doesn't like click pads. I reported the issue during the alpha and beta testing, but it's still present in the final release. Frustrating.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Thanks Patrick for the screen shot. Would you mind sharing your machine specs as well?

So would I be accurate in saying that what you see is a lot darker than what the screenshot shows?

A
stranger
stranger
A
The clicking issue is being looked at as we speak, thanks for the info and your patience.

P
P
Originally Posted by allthingscandid
Thanks Patrick for the screen shot. Would you mind sharing your machine specs as well?

So would I be accurate in saying that what you see is a lot darker than what the screenshot shows?

MacBook Pro Early-2011
Graphics: Intel HD 3000 @ 512 MB + AMD Radeon HD 6750M @ 1024 MB

As to whether it appears darker than what the screenshothows... I would have to say yes. Basically if I look at the screenshot on my iPad or a Windows machine it is brighter.

Edit:
I too had to play around with my gamma settings to see in the dark and not be frustrated.

Edit 2:
There is an effect I haven't seen since the Mac OS 9 days, when Windows and Mac had different gamma profiles. If I launch the game and then switch to Finder everything is cast in a light bluish tint.

Last edited by PatrickSJ; 03/07/14 04:00 PM.
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by allthingscandid
The clicking issue is being looked at as we speak, thanks for the info and your patience.

Thank you! Great to hear it's being looked at. Hopefully a quick fix.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Yay! I'm super glad this is getting looked at as well. I am also on a Retina MacBook Pro and am experiencing the issue with the trackpad touch working for some things and not others, specifically menus and the quickslots on the bottom do not work.

I have windows installed on a partition of my hard drive and play while on the windows side and am experiencing the problem.

Thanks guys!

A
stranger
stranger
A
From my point of view this sounds like a simple contrast-problem. Your Macbook probably has high factory contrast-settings. (darker Regions will be darker than usual)

Problem is you cant change those screen-settings on a laptop.

The Solution:

Use sweetFX and adjust settings.

Last edited by Areason; 10/07/14 08:59 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard