Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Some of you don't care for the humor of it. Many of us do. It is then a subjective issue. Mod it how you like or seek someone to mod it for you. /shrug

D
daveyd Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Originally Posted by Tanist
Originally Posted by daveyd
I completely avoided playing the game during Beta / Alpha and just started playing the game. I see that when your character goes into sneak mode he / she turns into a bush with legs. Really Larian? Please tell me this is just a placeholder until the proper sneaking animations are put in a future update. I wouldn't mind a bit of humor if it's clever but this is just far too silly for my tastes. Sure, it's not a huge deal, but I think it's a blight on an otherwise beautiful looking game.

First Larian game I take it?

I tried Div. Divinity for a few hours but wasn't really crazy about the combat (tactical turn-based is my preferred system) and playing in a low res was kind of a turn off as well. I understand that they have put humor in their previous games but have heard from others who enjoyed them that the humor wasn't quite so over the top.

Some of you don't care for the humor of it. Many of us do. It is then a subjective issue. Mod it how you like or seek someone to mod it for you. /shrug

I'm just honestly surprised there are so many people here who like it. I expected indifference, but not people loving it. I guess I must be getting old as over-the-top humor doesn't appeal to me anymore. Until it's modded guess I'll just be avoiding sneaking as much as possible.

Last edited by daveyd; 01/07/14 03:06 PM.
B
stranger
stranger
B
Originally Posted by Madkat124
I absolutely love it. When I first saw my character turn into a bush and tip toe around I died laughing.

Originally Posted by oxxgen
I really like the sneaking. In fact, I find just going invisible or crouching in open rooms far less immersive.

Originally Posted by Fanest
so ur-OP saying that crouching is a proper way to sneak around lol, just lol, Larian is the first who actually made sneaking believable

Agree with all three so much hahaha

It think it's just fun to run around as a bush, barrel, rock and more realistic than those bad villian like animation in other games, also ask the military forces in real life, they add branches to their outfit.

Last edited by Bobylein; 01/07/14 03:12 PM.
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T

I tried Div. Divinity for a few hours but wasn't really crazy about the combat (tactical turn-based is my preferred system) and playing in a low res was kind of a turn off as well. I understand that they have put humor in their previous games but have heard from others who enjoyed them that the humor wasn't quite so over the top.

It is.

For instance, in Divine Divinity, there is a part where you run into a conversation between two skeletons who fall apart after their argument of why they don't fall apart goes on for a bit.

In Beyond Divinity, there is a part where you click on an outhouse and someone says in a very strained groaning sound "Occuuuuupiiiiiied".

There are tons of corny and silly references all over in those games. It is a part of their charm.

I'm just honestly surprised there are so many people here who like it. I expected indifference, but not people loving it. I guess I must be getting old as over-the-top humor doesn't appeal to me anymore. Until it's modded guess I'll just be avoiding sneaking as much as possible.

It surprises you there are people who like it? Really? People like Monty Python, does that surprise you as well?

Last edited by Tanist; 01/07/14 03:13 PM.
D
daveyd Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D

It surprises you there are people who like it? Really? People like Monty Python, does that surprise you as well?

I guess I have different expectations for this game genre. If I watch a comedy film (especially something like MP) I expect some silliness. I generally expect CRPGs to maintain a certain level of seriousness so I can lose myself in the fantasy world, instead of constantly being reminded that this is a game by slapstick humor, pop culture references, or 4th wall breaking. Of course it's a personal preference and as I've said it doesn't completely ruin the game for me, but I eagerly await a mod to make it a little less cartoonish.

Last edited by daveyd; 01/07/14 03:27 PM.
addict
addict

I guess I have different expectations for this game genre. If I watch a comedy film (especially something like MP) I expect some silliness. I generally expect CRPGs to maintain a certain level of seriousness so I can lose myself in the fantasy world, instead of constantly being reminded that this is a game by slapstick humor, pop culture references, or 4th wall breaking. Of course it's a personal preference and as I've said it doesn't completely ruin the game for me, but I eagerly await a mod to make it a little less cartoonish.

Agreed, but even BG had Boo ... the space hamster. Course he was easier to avoid than sneaking.

If they can get a mod that just shows a guy crouched and sneaking I'll use it. Otherwise I'll try not to laugh while I see two rocks walking up to the boss monster...

journeyman
journeyman

It is.

For instance, in Divine Divinity, there is a part where you run into a conversation between two skeletons who fall apart after their argument of why they don't fall apart goes on for a bit.

In Beyond Divinity, there is a part where you click on an outhouse and someone says in a very strained groaning sound "Occuuuuupiiiiiied".

There are tons of corny and silly references all over in those games. It is a part of their charm.
I've liked this stuff as well. The difference is that these are unique events, whereas the sneaking thing is regular thing to do.

For me that's a huge difference, no matter how frequent these unique events are. I consider them as a kinds of easter eggs. The presentation of regular actions on the other hand should help me immerse, should help to keep up the illusion of experiencing a consistent world.

Last edited by Morrandir; 01/07/14 04:38 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by LeBurns
Agreed, but even BG had Boo ... the space hamster. Course he was easier to avoid than sneaking.

Think that's a different thing as well. Boo (actually the fact that he's a miniature giant space hamster) is the offspring of Minsc's deseased mind and not a fact in the game world. Boo's desription more or less states this.

Last edited by Morrandir; 01/07/14 04:38 PM.
I LOVE the sneaky animations as they are now. Really great and fun!

stranger
stranger
I too love the sneaking animation and can't whait to reach more diverse areas to see what else larian prepared as diguises (snow man in the cold made me really happy in that video smile.

To those who don't like it (how?! :hihi: ) , Mods will come, i'm absolutely sure of it.

Last edited by Esev; 01/07/14 04:49 PM.
stranger
stranger
I don't like the sneaking animation as well.

Rogues remind me of evil clowns that crack practical jokes on their enemies stabbing them through bushes

I can't take rogues seriously in thie game <_<

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
I think they're awesome.

Some of you guys must be barrels of laughs at parties. "Stop joking around, I'm trying to focus my chi on this cheese dip! Quit playing that rock & roll music, this holiday is for somber remembrance!". :hihi:

The last thing this world needs is yet another RPG representing "sneaking" with a guy trying to take a crap and walk at the same time. If you find that animation realistic, you have some creepy friends.

veteran
veteran
as long as they release full tools and open up the engine, removing hardcoded things..

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
Last time I created this topic mad fanboys just destroyed me with curses.
I really hope some mod will fix it soon. Totally immersion breaking and not fun.

A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by Chairchucker
Crazy talk. If Larian ever changes that animation I will mourn for weeks.

Crazy talk. If old school games are based on immature ideas, then I'll mourn for weeks.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
L
apprentice
apprentice
L
I plead guilty - I'm over 30 years old and I love that kind of humor.

Frankly, although being a little over the top, it's far more realistic than the typical "I-crouch-now-you-can't-see-me-anymore"-style most games tend to use. Just think of snipers.

Ghillie-Suit

journeyman
journeyman
I like the sneaking animations, too. Seems like a great place for those who don't to create and/or request a mod.

Being invisible because you're crouching in plain sight doesn't make more sense to me, we're just used to that because it's a conventional mechanic. IMO it's good to see new conventions.

C
stranger
stranger
C
I love the sneaking animation. Too many RPGs take themselves too seriously, I find. It's nice to find one that doesn't.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T

Well... it is understandable if that is your expectation. For me, I love Larians humor. It reminds me of playing the AD&D module WG7 Castle Greyhawk which is filled with silly humor and pop culture references.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Chairchucker
Crazy talk. If Larian ever changes that animation I will mourn for weeks.

The bush stays opa

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard