Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
1. Its difficult to keep up with NPC dialogueEven if you are a fast reader, its difficult to keep up. When you are not the one who initiated conversation you will watch your friend interact with the NPC. The text will pop up over his head, but will fade away very quickly.

For instance, I have little to no idea what the conversation with Arhu was about when you first meet him until I went back and reread the journal. You can try to read what the NPC is saying in the lower right text box, but the problem here is the text can easily be drowned out from other NPCs talking in the area especially if your in a town. Also you can't see what responses the player is selecting, only the NPC's answers if you didn't initiate dialogue

2. Inability to see friends inventory. This is a big one as well, in Baldurs Gate multiplayer you can view other players inventories that your friend controls. It will gray out the inventory such that you cannot interact with it, but you can see it. In this game, you cannot view your friends inventory at all. Makes it a pain to figure out who has what, or if your friend may have picked up something that will help you.

These 2 issues are really making co-op much less enjoyable for us. If these could be fixed it would be much better.

Last edited by perfectblue; 01/07/14 12:31 PM.
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by perfectblue
1. Its difficult to keep up with NPC dialogueEven if you are a fast reader, its difficult to keep up. When you are not the one who initiated conversation you will watch your friend interact with the NPC. The text will pop up over his head, but will fade away very quickly.

For instance, I have little to no idea what the conversation with Arhu was about when you first meet him until I went back and reread the journal.

2. Inability to see friends inventory. This is a big one as well, in Baldurs Gate multiplayer you can view other players inventories that your friend controls. It will gray out the inventory such that you cannot interact with it, but you can see it. In this game, you cannot view your friends inventory at all. Makes it a pain to figure out who has what, or if your friend may have picked up something that will help you.

These 2 issues are really making co-op much less enjoyable for us. If these could be fixed it would be much better.

On the first one, I think the reason why it is like that is because you are supposed to be able to be at two different places at once. (like one can be in the city, the other can be doing combat somewhere else).
However I would like for there to be an option that you could force both characters into a "Dialogue box" like in the old crpgs like baldurs gate etc.

The second one I semi agree on. It is both fun and frustrating to not be able to see your friends inventory. Should be a toggle there too. However i also like the idea of being able to hide what you have from your friend (for rp purposes), but I have no idea how many people who will actually do that.

I say make a toggle for both unless it is too time consuming to do.
It has been this way since alpha so not going to change anytime soon i reckon.

P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Originally Posted by Archmage_R

However I would like for there to be an option that you could force both characters into a "Dialogue box" like in the old crpgs like baldurs gate etc.

Yah that is what I was hoping for. You can also use the dialogue box on the right hand side of the screen, but the problem there is all of the important NPC talk is mixed in with random things NPCs are saying in the area and dogs barking.

Last edited by perfectblue; 01/07/14 12:48 AM.
J
apprentice
apprentice
J
I agree, I think if both characters are near an npc and one of them starts talking to the npc then both characters should go into 'dialog mode'

Having to read the text log and journal every time your partner talks to an npc is awkward and frustrating.

Another nice optional feature I think would be "both players need to press continue before proceeding dialog", this would be a nice option in case you're playing with someone that reads slower or faster than you do.

P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Originally Posted by Jjiinx
I agree, I think if both characters are near an npc and one of them starts talking to the npc then both characters should go into 'dialog mode'

Having to read the text log and journal every time your partner talks to an npc is awkward and frustrating.

Very much agreed. This is my first time playing a Larian game is there any chance they will actually listen to this feedback? If not perhaps the modding community can solve it?

I think me and my brother will likely take a break in the mean time, its very frustrating playing co-op in its current state due to the issues mentioned in the original post.

old hand
old hand
I think there is a solid chance they will address it. The more we buy the better the chances to.

I want to put this out there, there is a lot of talk about "well the modding community will fix this or that", this may not be as easy to mod as Skyrim on many issues this is used. I'm not sure we can say what they can do and what they can't or how easy some things are.

Last edited by Horrorscope; 01/07/14 03:19 AM.
N
stranger
stranger
N
I agree completely with all your points and I hope that Larian addresses this and don't just assume that the mod community will fix it.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Totally agree with the above smile

Let us both see the dialog, maybe not what answers can be chosen but atleast what the npc says

Last edited by Schmelge; 01/07/14 09:23 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
+1

As it stands, the other player is forced to read the rapidly scrolling dialogue box that endlessly dumps every NPC comment. Also, you can't see what responses the player is selecting, only the NPC's answers.

B
apprentice
apprentice
B
I suggested awhile back that the person who didn't initiate the conversation should be able to see the choices available to the first player, but be unable to select it.

What could be a lot of fun is to be able to both talk to the character at once - so you have two source hunters engaging in dialog (and choosing dialog options) with the NPC kind of like how it would go in real life. You wouldn't have one person have a 10 minute conversation with the second person waiting silently on the side.

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
I am pretty very sure that Larian will address this issue as well as the one with NPCs' constant chattering.

We tested the game during the alpha and the beta phase and Larian were always very responsive to our feedback.

P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Originally Posted by cilantroll
+1
Also, you can't see what responses the player is selecting, only the NPC's answers.

Great idea, I added this to the original post.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Originally Posted by cilantroll
+1

As it stands, the other player is forced to read the rapidly scrolling dialogue box that endlessly dumps every NPC comment. Also, you can't see what responses the player is selecting, only the NPC's answers.

Yeah. if it just had filters and included the other players responses it would even be better. I'm lucky that the person I'm playing with is less then three feet away so I can turn my head.

I imagine it's kinda impossible for most people which is too bad since this is a dialog heavy RPG. Hopefully is gets a good fix.

Last edited by Chiatroll; 02/07/14 12:53 PM.
D
stranger
stranger
D
Very much +1

This really needs the option suggested here, forced view of dialogue if the players are near each other. Its really frustrating trying to pick the useful text out of the waterfall of NPC chatter that can be scrolling past in the game. I missed so many important points, having to ask "So... why are we going to this place? What's up with that guy?"

Its also annoying that without it, it makes it harder for the two players to decide together on which option to use, without them being on voice chat and narrating all dialogue them selves!

I hope these threads are looked at by community managers or devs or whatever!

Link Copied to Clipboard