Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Throughout the beta, the inventory and sorting slowly improved to result in its current form. Right now, the tabs are a huge help, but playing in multi with someone who has not followed the beta and is experiencing the game with fresh eyes, a few observations came up.

The Popups Obscure Everything
-Mousing over items hides everything else around it. This popup is quite intrusive, especially whenever you swoop over multiple items in your inventory. Could the items details and your 'currently equipped' show up as a panel attached and off to the side of the main window, maybe? 'Currently equipped' could be beside your equipment slots (paper doll thing), and the item details you're examining below.

Created Items Don't Auto-Stack
-So say you have a stack of feathers in your inventory. If you cut up more pillows, they don't automatically get added to the existing stack.

Restacking vs. Crafting
-You split up 2 Minor Healing Potions. With enough crafting, you can no longer restack them--it seems you have no choice but to make a Medium Healing Potion.

Daggers, Axes, and Hammers
-These items are of course categorized into the equipment tab, but it would be helpful if they were also in ingredients. Or could 1 of them be assigned to ingredients? Right now, if you want to mash or cut up potatoes or chop wood, you must do so in the big, messy all items tab in your inventory. This involves lots of scrolling and scanning to find, say, your hammer and your potato.

Keys and Soap
-The keys tab is brilliant, don't get me wrong. Key + soap used to result in lockpicks--has this been removed? Because keys now only show up in the keys tab, and are no longer present even in all items, let alone ingredients. So if I'm not mistaken, soap may no longer be crafted with keys?

Journals
-If keys can only exist in the keys tab, can collected journals, diaries, and other books (not skill or recipe books) only exist in the miscellaneous tab and not in all? This would further reduce clutter.

Otherwise, we're really enjoying the game. Thanks for all the love and hard work, Larian!

Last edited by cilantroll; 02/07/14 06:28 PM.
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
None of these things bother anyone else at all?

addict
addict
There are some minor annoyances with the inventory, nothing major though. For example, bone dust (and some other items) don't stack at all, I can't open backpacks while bartering, I can't place an item into a backpack by dragging it onto said backpack, etc.

BTW, if you want to make a lockpick: You have to open and put a key in the backpack, then click the all items tab and then drag the key onto the soap.

Last edited by dlux; 02/07/14 11:20 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
How about "Sort by Type". I know you can click on tabs to get JUST each type, but sometimes you want to look through everything but have it organised in a meaningful way. So far you can say "Well, this is by cost so I can see what to sell", or "this is by weight so I can see what I need to get rid of 'cause I'm carrying two tonnes of crap" but it would be nice to just sort everything down to type to get an overview without going through each type individually.

And yes, the immediate tooltips are annoying. There should be a tooltip delay option. Also, perhaps a "no tooltips but you can press CTRL and get a tooltip instantly" setting.

old hand
old hand
I'm almost certain everything that will be suggested in this thread, without any wise-crackers... has been brought to their attention. There was a large UI/Inventory thread in beta. I assume if the game is a success in time many will be addressed. Just letting you know, they know. Now putting more people behind it will never hurt... us.

As good as it is, there are some QOL things that would make it all the better.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by dlux
BTW, if you want to make a lockpick: You have to open and put a key in the backpack, then click the all items tab and then drag the key onto the soap.

Aha! Thanks for that--glad to see it's still doable. It's just too bad it's so unintuitive now!

Originally Posted by Kingslayer
And yes, the immediate tooltips are annoying. There should be a tooltip delay option. Also, perhaps a "no tooltips but you can press CTRL and get a tooltip instantly" setting.

This is the best solution I've seen. Hitting Ctrl, Shift, Tab, whatever over an item to see the stats is a good idea. When I don't want to read about an item (such as during crafting), this would be a much more fluid, cleaner process.

Originally Posted by Horrorscope
Just letting you know, they know. Now putting more people behind it will never hurt... us.

As good as it is, there are some QOL things that would make it all the better.

Agreed. I suspect this is small beans right now compared to the previous flurry of NPC VO complaints and reported crash bugs recently. But it's the little things that count, right? wink A smoother gameplay experience is always worth championing IMO.

Link Copied to Clipboard