Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Cope Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
I find inventory management in this game pretty frustrating at the moment. Not game ruining bad, but, could definitely be improved.

A few small changes to the inventory system could fix that, though. I'd like to see

• The option to favorite items so they get a little star in the corner or custom outline, and are shown up at the very front of your inventory no matter how you sort things.
  • The ability to rename and possibly even change the color of your backpacks. Hell, could even add coloring to the crafting system. Backpack + Jellyroom = Purple backpack. Backpack + Bluegill mushroom = Blue backpack. Backpack + Pixie dust = Magical glowing backpack! (Icon change only. Dyes would work too but are too uncommon)
  • A small number on the backpack tooltip to show how many items are in it.
  • The ability to actually use items that are in your backpacks! Please, oh god, please.

That's it! Shouldn't be *too* difficult to implement, hopefully, and would make inventory management MUCH better.

stranger
stranger
Mediocre? How bad does it have to get for you to call it horrible? The inventory is a mini game that reminds me of the bleakness of "Papers, please". Not that it takes anything away from D:OS being my favorite game of the last few years, but still laugh

B
stranger
stranger
B
Originally Posted by CWagner
Mediocre? How bad does it have to get for you to call it horrible? The inventory is a mini game that reminds me of the bleakness of "Papers, please". Not that it takes anything away from D:OS being my favorite game of the last few years, but still laugh

Well... at least it got a filter system, without it, it eould be horrible wink

Do you know Arma 2? Tgen you know what truly horrible is laugh

Last edited by Bobylein; 04/07/14 11:08 AM.
C
Cope Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Originally Posted by CWagner
Mediocre? How bad does it have to get for you to call it horrible?

You ever played Fallout 2 or especially 1? If so, you'd resist calling anything else *horrible* wink

F
stranger
stranger
F
And please, dropping an item on the backpack icon should add the item into that bag!

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
It's not brilliant but quite similar to how Ultima games used to do it I think.
One thing I'd like is an automatic sort button of some kind, so that multiple items of one kind could get sorted in the biggest possible stack or that all the items automatically tidied up to save space towards the bottom of the bag and mean less scrolling up and down.

Otherwise, brilliant game!

N
stranger
stranger
N
Originally Posted by freche
And please, dropping an item on the backpack icon should add the item into that bag!

Yep! This one is driving me a bit nuts but it's probably because of their combination based crafting system.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Colour coded backpacks would be nice, but I think it's an Ok system

You've obviously never had to deal with worse inventory systems where you are playing some sort of handicapped Tetris trying to fit everything together optimally to maximize space but unable to rotate any pieces

C
Cope Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Originally Posted by Songbird
Colour coded backpacks would be nice, but I think it's an Ok system

You've obviously never had to deal with worse inventory systems where you are playing some sort of handicapped Tetris trying to fit everything together optimally to maximize space but unable to rotate any pieces

Actually I kind of have a soft spot for tetris inventories. And, of course it could be *worse*, but that doesn't mean it can't be *better*.

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
We have been saying it for months during beta, but I think it was a case of having more important things to do.

The only way to deal with it is to keep dedicated bags in your inventory (one for vendor trash, one for crafting ingrediants etc) and stop every time you pick something up to assign it to its correct place. Otherwise you quickly drown in loot and sorting anything is horrible.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Cope

Actually I kind of have a soft spot for tetris inventories.

O.o masochist

Last edited by Songbird; 04/07/14 04:23 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
You should have seen it while in alpha :P it's much better now after a lot of player feedback, still not amazing but yeah it does its work i guess.

I think the major complain i have is that when you drag an item from the inventory up to another smaller bag it should put it inside the bag, instead of you having to manually open the bag and then drag it there, then close the bag, then close the inventory. Or at the very least if you drag that item to the bag, it would automaticaly open the smaller bag and you can drop it there.

If they implemented that, it would be OK for an RPG i guess smile

M
stranger
stranger
M
my problems with the inventory are a bit different,

what i really really need is that, when the inventory is open, pressing F1 F2 F3 F4 you change the inventory to that character inventory, not that i need to use the mouse to the small arrow to change!

and another great improvement (maybe alternative to the aforementioned one) is that, having picked up an object, the press of F1 F2 etc send that item to that character, the right click and select the right person is a nightmare!

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
All I need is a sorting function which works for types of items like armor, weapons, accessories, etc.
A crafting menu would be nice as well instead of scrolling through pages to find the ingredients I need to use.

stranger
stranger
IOS = Inventory Organisation Simulation.
Sometimes it is really annoying.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Cope
  • The ability to actually use items that are in your backpacks! Please, oh god, please.

My 5c:

- Using items from within containers should cost extra movement points to become realistic.
- Containers should have limited slots (different size containers) to become realistic.
- You should not be able to pickup barrels and crates (weightless items) and use them as backpacks in your inventory.. that is just stupid.

Link Copied to Clipboard