Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
I though I should post this topic up since we seem to have a trend here.

[Insert arguments on how I think I should be able to instantly kill everything on the field with one spell and resistances are unfair and how I'm not enough of a god in Rivellon]

veteran
veteran
I think I should flag this topic as spam.

WOOS
K
K
I understand where you're coming from, but this topic is needless spam.

S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Sigh then don't reply to this as I've already dropped the subject.

I originally created this because my OCDness was bugging me after I saw two threads focusing on the other two attack related traits and I wanted to complete the trinity

veteran
veteran
I think magic balance is horrendous in that it allows players to trivialize the Lockpicking skill and durability loss when it comes to breaking open locked containers and doors. Even for non-casters, all it takes is your willingness to equip a low level staff with 5 INT (or no) requirement and spam the Staff of Magus skill repeatedly. Really ridiculous, in my opinion.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
You still need lock picking for situations when you can't blast the chest with magic ie. social situations.

S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Actually I agree, Staff of Magus should apply a durability loss to the staff like other weapons gets worn by use

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Songbird
Actually I agree, Staff of Magus should apply a durability loss to the staff like other weapons gets worn by use

I'd actually take it to the point of applying durability damage to the staff for all casted spells and summons damage (or make containers/doors immune to damage caused by summons).

Or rather than durability say that the staff is losing charge.

CPU: i7-4930k, Gfx: EVGA 950, RAM: 16GB DDR3-2133 (quad channel), OS: Arch Linux
veteran
veteran
Actually a pretty good idea... why didn't we think of that during Beta? (or did we? ;p)

S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Maybe be we were abusing this too much to report it?

I know I was laugh

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Originally Posted by Gyson

I'd actually take it to the point of applying durability damage to the staff for all casted spells and summons damage (or make containers/doors immune to damage caused by summons).

Why? You can still cast magic without a staff, and unless your staff comes with a INT bonus it doesn't seem to boost your spellcasting in any way. Heck, characters don't even use their staves in the spellcasting animation, Staff of Magus excluded. And seeing as how swinging your staff or using Staff of Magus is usually the equivalent of throwing away AP (unless you're using it for an elemental effect), all you'd be doing is depriving spellcasters of the passive bonuses that come with equipping the staff.

Lowering staff durability when using Staff of Magnus is a fair and logical fix to door and chest breaking unbalance, but it doesn't make sense for the rest of spellcasting at all. And I am *not* a fan of the idea of making staves a prerequisite for spellcasting solely to make lockpicking pertinent.

stranger
stranger
durability loss

You are talking about the *feature* that simply takes up on slot for a repair hammer and has no further influence on the game?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zozma

Why? You can still cast magic without a staff, and unless your staff comes with a INT bonus it doesn't seem to boost your spellcasting in any way. Heck, characters don't even use their staves in the spellcasting animation, Staff of Magus excluded. And seeing as how swinging your staff or using Staff of Magus is usually the equivalent of throwing away AP (unless you're using it for an elemental effect), all you'd be doing is depriving spellcasters of the passive bonuses that come with equipping the staff.

Lowering staff durability when using Staff of Magnus is a fair and logical fix to door and chest breaking unbalance, but it doesn't make sense for the rest of spellcasting at all. And I am *not* a fan of the idea of making staves a prerequisite for spellcasting solely to make lockpicking pertinent.

The point is spellcasting allows players to trivialize the Lockpicking skill and get around durability loss penalty when blasting past locks.

So, either make locked doors and containers immune to magic, or come up with a penalty that is on the same level of durability loss. You can require a weapon be equipped to cast a spell, it doesn't have to be a staff, and then have that weapon take durability damage.

Originally Posted by CWagner
durability loss

You are talking about the *feature* that simply takes up on slot for a repair hammer and has no further influence on the game?

Using that repair hammer takes points in the Blacksmithing skill. That creates a cost to using it.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
What about your staff gets shorter each time you use it? By the end of breaking down a door you should be left with little more than a toothpick?

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Originally Posted by CWagner
[quote=Gyson]The point is spellcasting allows players to trivialize the Lockpicking skill and get around durability loss penalty when blasting past locks.

So, either make locked doors and containers immune to magic, or come up with a penalty that is on the same level of durability loss. You can require a weapon be equipped to cast a spell, it doesn't have to be a staff, and then have that weapon take durability damage. durability loss

I agree that there's a balance issue, but overhauling how magic works just to fix a minor mechanic like lock picking is like flooding the basement to kill some rats.

Neverwinter Nights 2 had a workaround to this problem where using offensive magic to open chests would destroy its contents. Combine this with maybe making some doors immune to magic would be an infinitely better system, in my opinion, than messing with how magic works elsewhere in the game.

Last edited by Zozma; 05/07/14 11:13 PM.
U
stranger
stranger
U
To be honest I don't even use the staff if I want to get though a door. Flare fires just as fast and if you ignite the ground under the target it will take burn damage over time as well. No staff required.

T
T
The point is spellcasting allows players to trivialize the Lockpicking skill and get around durability loss penalty when blasting past locks.

Using that repair hammer takes points in the Blacksmithing skill. That creates a cost to using it.

You can get items with +blacksmithing to use a repair hammer.

You can get items with infinite durability if you're lazy.

Also making blacksmithing infinitely better than lockpicking because it's lockpicking + crafting other items isn't exactly fair either.

K
stranger
stranger
K
What's stopping you from just putting your weapon away and punching the box to death? If you get right down to it, unarmed combat is kinda OP.

-Never have to spend money on repairs
-Never have to buy a new weapon, your fists are always fresh
-Plus you look fly as all hell kickin' fools in the teef!

Last edited by Kapope; 06/07/14 02:09 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard