Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#508919 05/07/14 02:37 AM
J
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
I'm playing for the first time with a ranger and wizard, with the 2 companions you'd expect, currently level 9. The ranger really feels like the weak link in the group, both wizards can deal huge damage and the fighter is killing most in 2 swings, the ranger however only takes off small chunks. I'm considering starting over but I've yet to acquire arrow spray which I understand is the rangers best ability, will this single skill change my mind about the ranger, and where can I acquire it?

G
stranger
stranger
G
My experience is similar. I made a fighter + ranger duo and the ranger is basically only there to provide the leadership bonus. Imo the normal attack just do too low damage and the special arrows cost too much action points.

H
stranger
stranger
H
Well i totally like ranger but few buffs are obviously needed. Crossbows just suck.. and quickdraw dont work for them, Ranger skill dmg and skills overall are bad and need to be improved/rewoked.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Crossbows were fantastic in Beta, so I made my girl a crossbow ranger. At the end of the game, she basically was just there to... well... maybe take an extra shot at the bosses I was melting with my two wizards and the two-handed GOD OF BATTLE that is Madora.

Seriously. Get resistances above 100% for elements, and you can just sit back and laugh at each battle. I send Madora into the middle of the fight, then spam the highest-level AoE spells I have, and stuff just evaporates.

And then my crossbow girl fires one measly bolt, just to remind everyone she's there.

On a second playthrough, I'd maybe try out the melee rogue skills to see if they're worthwhile. If not, a second warrior would be ideal.

O
stranger
stranger
O
Agreed. My ranger's impact is minimal compared to the others.

I
journeyman
journeyman
I
Their ability to use many different types of Elemental Arrows is extremely powerful imo, plus without the need to invest points in Int attribute or each of Elemental Ability class. Technically most of it is cheaper AP wise then the Mage equivalent though its because it is slightly weaker version. And with points in Perception & Speed as Ranger, you always have surplus AP. They're literally a mobile 5 Circle Mage but with at best Mid-Tier spells that you can spam endlessly. Maintaining a constant supply of the arrows is tedious though and i gave up in the end. Luckily i also took points in Scoundrel and i full swap to Rogue playstyle. Cheaper, hassle free and still as powerful as a Ranger fully stocked with Elemental Arrows.

Last edited by ImariKurumi; 05/07/14 05:51 AM.
C
stranger
stranger
C
My ranger started slow, I agree.

But at level 9, I got:
Character Damage 99-154
14 Dex, 9 Con, 9 Speed

Crossbow 5 in Weapons
Marksman 3

Lvl 8 Crossbow:
Piercing 53-82
Earth 8-12 (could add more elemental damage, but waiting on better drop)
Con +1
Crossbow +1
Leadership +1

Mages start the fight buffing Wildfire(AP buff) and Oath of Desecration(50% damage increase) at the beginning of the fight to both ranger and Madora and let them take out the mobs. They both have tactical retreat and position themselves in first round.

My Ranger hits almost as hard as Madora, especially with Barrage (around 95 damage X 3)

Mind you, I do not know what higher level will be like, but right now, I am hitting hard and definitely contributing to the fight with my ranger.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I think that Rangers are a great complement.
For once they do not need special debuffs on enemies or certain ground conditions to utilize most of their CC unlike Wizards. Their standard attacks can be reduced to 2 and 4 AP per use respectively giving them a good attack frequency. Thanks to their range and escape skill they do not have to waste many AP on movement usually.
Damage output depends on their weapon, dexterity and chosen arrows/skills.

G
stranger
stranger
G
Originally Posted by CrexRex

But at level 9, I got:
Character Damage 99-154
[...]

That's like, half the damage I have on my fighters with 2h weapons at the same lvl.

Last edited by Glamour; 05/07/14 11:54 AM.
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Glamour

But at level 9, I got:
Character Damage 99-154
[...]

That's like, half the damage I have on my fighters with 2h weapons at the same lvl.

Can they reduce their normal attack speed to 2 AP and attack right in the first round though?

Last edited by Sykar; 05/07/14 12:04 PM.
G
stranger
stranger
G
Originally Posted by Sykar
Originally Posted by Glamour

But at level 9, I got:
Character Damage 99-154
[...]

Can they reduce their normal attack speed to 2 AP and attack right in the first round though?

How do you get ranged attack cost down to 2 AP? I thought it's 3 for bows and 5 for crossbows? (-1 from quick draw), I haven't played ranged character, genuinely curious.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I'd say my ranger is the one doing all the damage, but i have invested a lot in the ranger. My ranger is able to attack 5 times every turn and always is the first to start because of really high initiative. Sure my 2h warrior hits harder in a single hit, but he still needs to walk to the target and he has less hits per turn. I also think that its really hard to find good bows compared to other weapons.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
I'm almost level 20 and I did not see anyway to get bow/xbow to cost 2 AP....

A
addict
addict
A
I think ranger lacks skills - only 13 total and highest one requires 13th level. Other classes get more skills total and most powerful ones I've seen rquire 18th level.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Originally Posted by Aramintai
I think ranger lacks skills - only 13 total and highest one requires 13th level. Other classes get more skills total and most powerful ones I've seen rquire 18th level.

Yeah my main is a ranger, he feels undone. However, to always start first with like 25m+ range is huge.I can usually take the enemy caster/ranger before he gets to cast anything.

I don't have a Ranger, I have a Dex character instead. The advantages are immense.

Often I'll open with a bow in hand these days, ricochet or charm (ranger). Sometimes though I've got a dagger in there because combat is starting close up, allowing me to use both charms before anyone acts and turning 2 enemies to my side.

After that I've still got 4 or 5 methods of control, reasonable (not great) damage in melee or the option to sit back away from the ice and fire covered battlefield and pick off the enemies with my bow.

A fireball might hit 5 mobs for a lot of damage, but a dex char can teleport behind 1 mob and take them down in a single round.. or have two attempts to CC them from his varied selection.

If you only take the best 4 characters and don't think bout the best party, you'll find yourself in trouble when the monsters are immune to your damage output!

P
stranger
stranger
P
A ranger would definitely benefit if you could actually improve bows and Xbows. Maybe im missing some vital crafting element to improving them, its simply not in game that I can find.

H
apprentice
apprentice
H
Originally Posted by Paulutot
A ranger would definitely benefit if you could actually improve bows and Xbows. Maybe im missing some vital crafting element to improving them, its simply not in game that I can find.

Bow/xbow + bowstring = damage boost depending on crafting level
*unless you already handcrafted one with a +damage affix mod, damage affixes do not stack and the highest damage affix doesn't get overwritten by lower damage affixes; simply put, if you add a bowstring but don't notice any increase in damage, your bow/xbow already came with a damage affix that is higher than what the bowstring can apply

bow/xbow + sextant = perception boost

bow/xbow + tormented soul = +1 str, +1 dex

bow/xbow + essence (except void) = +elemental damage
*cannot stack essences for multiple elements

most of these require a minimum crafting level

Last edited by HauntedPast; 05/07/14 04:13 PM.
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Originally Posted by HauntedPast
Originally Posted by Paulutot

Bow/xbow + bowstring = damage boost depending on crafting level
*unless you already handcrafted one with a +damage affix mod, damage affixes do not stack and the highest damage affix doesn't get overwritten by lower damage affixes; simply put, if you add a bowstring but don't notice any increase in damage, your bow/xbow already came with a damage affix that is higher than what the bowstring can apply

bow/xbow + sextant = perception boost

bow/xbow + tormented soul = +1 str, +1 dex

bow/xbow + essence (except void) = +elemental damage
*cannot stack essences for multiple elements

most of these require a minimum crafting level

hmm I guess I should learn how to craft, could you please list any other good additions for bow/xbow?

H
apprentice
apprentice
H
unfortunately that's all the useful ones I could find

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard