Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
enthusiast
enthusiast
You can pick up barrels.. oil barrels.. ooze barrels... .. and you can throw them... couple that with sneaking and you can STACK THEM near enemies, much fireworks ensues... imo a VITAL early mid and late game tactic.

I think a lot of people do not realize that they can literally take oil barrels with them and place them before and during a fight with a marginal cost of AP ;P

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
Too silly for me, but maybe great move for Donkey Kong.

I
journeyman
journeyman
I
Originally Posted by delray
- Hybrides suck. They just don't work at the moment with how attributes apply to skills. Make a pick of the main attribute for each of your characters. I'd suggest two INT characters (to cover all schools of magic), one DEX character (preferably an archer, but could also be a Rogue), and one STR character (tankish type to make use of all the many Man-at-Arms abilities). Then attempt to max those. If you try to go in as a party of Wayfarer/Battlemage/Shadowblade/Cleric, you'll get rofl-stomped by monsters right outside the gates, while the best items and spells are either heavily penalized or unusable in your inventory.

Theres a lot of truth in this. I learned the hard way and started as Cleric and Shadowblade. Theres just too little attribute points and ability points to go around and i end up with diluted attribute distribution(neither good dmg not good defense and poor AP) and low ability levels(hell, i didnt have enough spell slots). My spells are penalized(Higher AP cost and lower % hit) and my dmg was sub par as well as my defenses weaker(bodybuilding/willpower).

I then rerolled as Archer and Wizard, so much better. I have sufficient perception for the party, my spells work normally and my dmg and defenses are excellent. I could easily utilize the combos due to having access to all spells. I also have enough points for crafting and blacksmithing. Basically the synergy in my party went through the roof.

Its quite disappointing that hybrids are pretty much penalized. I kinda like the system in Alpha/Beta, theres close to no penalty in going mass hybrid but then again i understand how imbalanced that is...

Last edited by ImariKurumi; 06/07/14 04:37 AM.
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by ImariKurumi
- Hybrides suck. They just don't work at the moment with how attributes apply to skills. Make a pick of the main attribute for each of your characters. I'd suggest two INT characters (to cover all schools of magic), one DEX character (preferably an archer, but could also be a Rogue), and one STR character (tankish type to make use of all the many Man-at-Arms abilities). Then attempt to max those. If you try to go in as a party of Wayfarer/Battlemage/Shadowblade/Cleric, you'll get rofl-stomped by monsters right outside the gates, while the best items and spells are either heavily penalized or unusable in your inventory.

Theres a lot of truth in this. I learned the hard way and started as Cleric and Shadowblade. Theres just too little attribute points and ability points to go around and i end up with diluted attribute distribution(neither good dmg not good defense and poor AP) and low ability levels(hell, i didnt have enough spell slots). My spells are penalized(Higher AP cost and lower % hit) and my dmg was sub par as well as my defenses weaker(bodybuilding/willpower).

I then rerolled as Archer and Wizard, so much better. I have sufficient perception for the party, my spells work normally and my dmg and defenses are excellent. I could easily utilize the combos due to having access to all spells. I also have enough points for crafting and blacksmithing. Basically the synergy in my party went through the roof.

I don't know. Starting off Hybrids are bad, but I'm at level 10 with a mystic Knight build and It's great so far. Got some buffs so I have more health, a healing spell to help heal the party alongside the healer, and a ranged attack for when there's something in the way.

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
Hybrids are great if you go for a lonewolf 2-man team playthrough, right now my 2 level 14 characters; warrior/mage and rogue/mage are killing it.

T
stranger
stranger
T
You don't even need lone wolf for hybrid. You just need to be smart about which spells you use. Going for a low INT hybrid? Then stick with heals, buffs and tier 1 spells. You would be amazed what you can do with a measly 8 INT and 1 point in a few spell schools...

To elaborate a bit, you can use your hybrids for setting off literally every elemental combo effect in the game and stick to the higher tier spells on a pure mage, or literally any combination of whatever you want. Keep an open mind and remember you can respec down the road! (it's costly but money is pretty easy to get)

Last edited by thrakkemarn; 06/07/14 05:28 AM.
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Originally Posted by Gorebled
Some builds may not be able to hold up to double their recovery AP.

OK let's assume that's true. Skipping a turn and getting some extra AP is better than waiting and getting ZERO.

stranger
stranger
Here's another tip that I discovered the hard way (i.e. had to restart):

If you're planning on using the Scoundrel ability Walk in Shadows (which is great for stealing stuff, for example), it's a good idea to get it at character creation. The vendors don't seem to sell it at all, at least not at lower levels.

D
stranger
stranger
D
- Hybrides suck.

I learned the hard way and started as Cleric and Shadowblade.

That's just not true. I'm playing with exact this setup and my shadowblade has the ability to crowd-control (stun, blind), buff (desecration), kill (i can backstab an orc to death in one turn). And he also runs fast (fast track + talent). Oh and he summons armored skeletons. I have no AP penalties, I do have change penalties due to low attributes but they are only up to -10% which is negligible.
My cleric is a buffer/debuffer +offheal. She also cripples targets for Madora to kill (with bully talent) The only thing she lacks is AP but I'm working on it

So the hybrids are fine. Of course a pure mage can master 3 or all the elemental schools with ease, but still shadowblade is more then viable

And btw Loremaster is also a useful skill: try hovering your enemy with Ctrl pressed: the amount of information you get depends on Loremaster

Last edited by dreyk; 07/07/14 11:55 AM.
F
apprentice
apprentice
F
Originally Posted by dreyk

That's just not true. I'm playing with exact this setup and my shadowblade has the ability to crowd-control (stun, blind), buff (desecration), kill (i can backstab an orc to death in one turn). And he also runs fast (fast track + talent). Oh and he summons armored skeletons. I have no AP penalties, I do have change penalties due to low attributes but they are only up to -10% which is negligible.
My cleric is a buffer/debuffer +offheal. She also cripples targets for Madora to kill (with bully talent) The only thing she lacks is AP but I'm working on it

So the hybrids are fine. Of course a pure mage can master 3 or all the elemental schools with ease, but still shadowblade is more then viable

And btw Loremaster is also a useful skill: try hovering your enemy with Ctrl pressed: the amount of information you get depends on Loremaster

This guy is right, "hybdrids suck" is horrible advice, all classes are much better even with just a couple skills from another class.

Ranger + Fast Track + Cure Wounds
Mage + Fast Tack + Tactical Retreat
Warrior + Heals/Lightning Strike + Charming Touch
Rogue + Tactical Retreat/Lightning Strike + Cure Wounds

Literally every class is much stornger mixed than pure.

Last edited by Falcus; 07/07/14 01:06 PM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
"Hybrid" classes are harder in the beginning. If you want to make things easier on yourself, try starting them as a pure and add the other branch later. E.g. I want a cleric sort of character so I start out as a pure fighter so avoid suffering strength penalties on skills. When I level up I put points into intelligence and get hydrosophy when I have enough int for the skills I want

D
stranger
stranger
D
The proper order of things early:

1. Tutorial cave.
2. Loot the city.
3. Do quests within the city till you're level 4. Buy skills, smith weapons, hire henchmen.
4. Go through the cave in the graveyard killing lvl 4 enemies under there.
5. Go outside through a well on the other end.
6. Clear all the skeleton groups in the western part of the maptill you're level 5.
7. Approach Lighthouse and try beating the boss there.
8. Clear all the boar+undead groups in the north-western part.
9. Do the killer robot quest. You're level 6 now.
10. Return to the harbour, deal with the orcs in the western beach.

G
stranger
stranger
G
Originally Posted by Steerpike
"Steal everything. Craft everything. Sell it all afterwards. Always sharpen all your blades, reinforce all your armors"

This should be every players' motto, I think!

So, murder-hobos?
I was hoping for something more in this game. I went to the city for the first time and was pleasantly surprised that everything I touched gave me (what appears to be) negative reputation with the citizens.

So you're saying I should pick up everything that's not nailed down and deal with the consequences? Are there any consequences?

V
stranger
stranger
V
Just another note, if you are anal about opening chests and such, get the pyramid ports, and have a pure lockpicker hero. I carry chests back to town with me for him to unlock. Hire a level 1 hero, with lockpicking, fire him, and rehire, put points into lockpicking. Either bring chests to him or have him come to you. A door you can't open and there is no key and you are not wanting to beat it down? Place a pyramid there and get your lockpicker.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Originally Posted by Viperswhip
Just another note, if you are anal about opening chests and such, get the pyramid ports, and have a pure lockpicker hero. I carry chests back to town with me for him to unlock. Hire a level 1 hero, with lockpicking, fire him, and rehire, put points into lockpicking. Either bring chests to him or have him come to you. A door you can't open and there is no key and you are not wanting to beat it down? Place a pyramid there and get your lockpicker.

Signed, Wyle E. Coyote
Genius!

P
stranger
stranger
P
I have a silly question: How can I increase ability level? I mean, now scarlet got 4th level. She has Man-at Arms ability of the firts level, but I can't increase it. How I could do that?

K
stranger
stranger
K
You need 2 points to increase to level 2 of a skill, 3 points for level 3 and so on.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Don't throw anything away! If you are not sure if you need an item either "send it to homestead" or store it in a "junk" backpack either on your main or companion.

addict
addict
Divinity: Original Sin - Ornate Chests - Legendary Item Farming GUIDE/Tutorial/Tips/Tricks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xPFtAOEJf0&list=UURj3Q06KOxAZWHaHScrkAOw

Check Out My Post here

ULTIMATE Divinity: Original Sin Guide/Tutorial HD!

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=512504#Post512504

Last edited by GamezGlitchz; 09/07/14 12:57 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by dreyk
- Hybrides suck.

I learned the hard way and started as Cleric and Shadowblade.

That's just not true.

Correct. Only players suck.

Any kind of hybrid build is great. The game is made to be classless - actually. Although it doesnt look like it because of that character creation section and its style of displaying "presets" to "help" the ... "less fortunate" players among us.

Which ended in dumbing down the gaem.

Also, someone above said you should take hybrids early because something,something, blah, blah, blah.
Complete nonsense. The result of twisted mentality that plays jack of all trades as focused builds.

In reality, if you want to play jack of all trades then you do so from the start so you can properly plan the attribute and talents allocation and learn to use its diverse skills during starting easier sections of the game.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard