Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
Kilmir Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
There are some skillbooks which never appear on vendors.
I've personally ran into not finding:
Dust Devil
Whirlwind
Walk in Shadows

I've used the save/reload trick dozens of times and never have these appeared. A little internet search found a few forum posts on other boards with people having the same issue.

Is this intended or a bug?

enthusiast
enthusiast
did you check with the lady in the inn

D
stranger
stranger
D
I've also never seen these, but i did find a whirlwind somewhere. I didn't start my Shadowblade with walk in shadows and i realize that was a terrible choice. Had to get invisibility from the air tree to make due.

B
stranger
stranger
B
I believe I found both Dust Devil and (definitley) Whirlwind on Aureus (sp?) - the leader of the Legion in Cyseal.

apprentice
apprentice
Aureus definitely sells Whirlwind.

veteran
veteran
It's a random system based on character level. So you can have luck or not. Some skillbooks can also be found in the world.

WOOS
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Walk in shadows have appeared in my game but dust devil hasn't in all the vendors shops after all my leveling. Either RNG really really hates me (and that's a distinct possibility, I'm not gonna lie, since I have no luck) or there is an issue with that skillbook in particular.

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
I don't know about the save/load trick, but I am playing a game where the heal spell isn't at any vendors and it is very annoying. At level 4 progress is starting to come to a halt. I am not using the mayors henchman of course, but would rather not break up the party composition I have made just because I can't heal...

So when do they reset spells and when to save and load?

Edit: I am pretty sure the Whirlwind skill can be found in the cellar beneath one of the burned out houses, west of town where you have to remove a sleeping matress.

Last edited by FelixDK; 06/07/14 11:08 PM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
I made a similar topic about this.

It's incredibly annoying that vendors don't change their stock in a random loot based game

H
apprentice
apprentice
H
It changes every time you level up for me. As for Walk in Shadows, I STILL AM HAVING ABSOLUTELY NO LUCK WITH IT. I QUICKSAVED-QUICKLOADED BEFORE CHECKING the stupid inn merchant's inventory (changes) every time) AT LEAST TWENTY TIMES AND I STILL HAVEN'T GOTTEN THE stupid book to spawn.

It's not just incredibly annoying, it's just outright stupid. I am lone wolf'ing with a ranger/rogue, and the Walk in Shadows is IMPERATIVE in my strategies. Instead, I'm forced to fight battles by using a flee strategy, being forced to gimp one enemy at a time and then flee because of the book won't spawn (I tried, to get it to spawn, it's obviously not there).

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
A single copy of Walk in Shadows turns up much later at

The Air Elemental at the End of Time.

But as a general rule, it seems that if you want Walk in Shadows, you'd better select it at game start.

I checked all vendors in the location named in the first spoiler, and it is seemed as if each has three unique spells, or at least spells that I haven't seen available from any vendor yet despite frequently reloading to figure out how the vendor spell restocking system worked:

Fire: Meteor Strike(19), Immolation(13), Man-at-arms: Phoenix Dive(8)
Ice: Hail Attack(19), Mass Slow(16), Marksmanship: Arrow Spray(13)
Air: Storm(19), Make Invisible(16), Scoundrel: Walk in Shadows(2)
Earth: Earthquake(19), Petrifying Touch(8), Witchcraft: Death Punch(16)

I have not finished the game and am only at level 11, so I cannot say if the spells really are unique and only available there, but I certainly hadn't seen any of the listed spells at vendors before despite many of them being of lower skill level that the highest skill books I was at that time being offered at the regular vendors in Cysael and Silvergleam. (With 4-6 reloads to check inventory variance at each seller each time they restocked).

Anybody who manages to get get Whirlwind on two different characters (or Phoenix Dive, for that matter), please tell me how as I'm dying to know whether the second man-at-arms in my four-person group will have to go the rest of the game without ever realizing his full potential. If you bought them from a vendor, what was your exact level when they became available?

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.
I
journeyman
journeyman
I
I have the same issue, couldn't get Strong Regenerate. Was told that vendor inventory refreshes and updates itself to scale to your level every time you level up. I believe this is true. Now every time i level, i will make an effort to visit all vendors, even if i'm mid way in dungeon.

Btw for Whirlwind, i got 3 from the Commander in Cyseal, one book after each level up from levels 4-6.

Last edited by ImariKurumi; 07/07/14 03:12 AM.
F
apprentice
apprentice
F
Agreed, as I said in another thread the Merchants need to be looked at.
Restocking more often, and actually selling books.

Having 2 of the same class is already problematic book-wise, say one wants to make a 3 warrior team and can't get the books to skill them up, that'd limit the game a lot.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Yeah it's definitely very frustrating if you need certain books

journeyman
journeyman
This is why I got to level 5 in crafting - it helps alleviate the problem for spell casters, at least.

If you can find a scroll of the spell you want, you can craft the book by putting the scroll in a blank skill book of the same school. To make the blank skill book, you combine blank scrolls of the same school(so blank air x 2 = blank air skill book). This is how I made white wolf and summon skeleton books (I still haven't seen them in shops). The only problem is you can't control what kind of blank scroll you get when you put pixie dust on paper. It's a 20% chance (I assume, given there are 5 applicable schools) so it can take a lot of mats (or a lot of loading) to get two pages of the same school.

addict
addict
So *THAT'S* how you make a skill book. I kept think I'd run across blank books that I'd combine with a blank scroll. I'll have to give that a shot later.

R
stranger
stranger
R
I finished the game now and still no dust devil (Level 1 Skill). I have never seen it and checked all vendors every level. This book just isn't in the game at all. I also used a save and load trick before talking to vendors to reset the items over and over. I managed to get whirlwind from a static world drop but still it hasn't showed up on vendors.

Last edited by Ragman; 10/07/14 01:14 PM.
There are some skills that can only be found in the game world (usually near bosses or such), some of the higher end skills can only be gotten by vendors at your homestead (the elementals).

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Kilmir
There are some skillbooks which never appear on vendors.
I've personally ran into not finding:
Dust Devil
Whirlwind
Walk in Shadows

I've used the save/reload trick dozens of times and never have these appeared. A little internet search found a few forum posts on other boards with people having the same issue.

Is this intended or a bug?

It is probably intended.

Anyway, you will have access to all the skill books of two specific skills of your choice if you follow the story. So be patient.

Hint:
Save before you are asked to choose an elemental in the homestead. smile

Another hint:
you can also create your own skill books if you have 5 crafting

Last edited by dlux; 08/07/14 03:53 PM.
R
stranger
stranger
R
You can only craft elemental skill books though. There are no physical type scrolls.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard