Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
I have no interest in further addressing any of your points since I think what needs to be said has already been said, but I'm curious about this -

Originally Posted by Gyson
And a single poorly implemented respec option partway through the game doesn't change that.

What's poorly implemented about it? Haven't used it, so I'm curious what all the problems are. I know about the loss of all learned skills.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Tanist
Originally Posted by EinTroll
Oh, look, heated debating about the loot system in a story-driven RPG.

Are the items you're getting preventing you from finishing the game? No? Then there is no problem.

There is if it's preventing players from having fun, particularly if that leads to them not wanting to finish the game.

Oh... neat, you played the "my fun" trump card. Brilliant counter really, I mean... it works for everything... when something doesn't go your way, call it bad design and claim it ruins "your fun" as if somehow you are the center of the universe and all games should be designed for "your fun".

Straw man.

I never said "my fun". I spoke of players in general (as there are many players complaining about the current loot system).

"Please try to stay within the confines of my responses."

wink

Yeah, because you were speaking for other people! You know, because we are all idiots here and can't read the past thread and see you have been arguing for a tailored system all along.

Yeah... not your fun.. no... It is for other peoples fun!!! Think of the children!

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
As for the the ol' "it's been this way forever, deal or move on" argument, I think Tanist's previous statement fits it best:

Oh... neat, you played the "XXXXXXXXX" trump card. Brilliant counter really, I mean... it works for everything..."

If you haven't noticed, you are the one in a forum complaining about a games feature that has been a part of its system from the start demanding it change.

Do you also go to FPS games sites and complain about them not being isometric? Do you whine in the forums of puzzle games about how they should be more about action?

Seems like you are out of your place. Diablo 3 forums ---->

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Fireblade
I have no interest in further addressing any of your points since I think what needs to be said has already been said, but I'm curious about this -

And a single poorly implemented respec option partway through the game doesn't change that.

What's poorly implemented about it? Haven't used it, so I'm curious what all the problems are. I know about the loss of all learned skills.

I wouldn't bother, do a search for Gyson on this site and you will see he makes illogical arguments quite often. There are numerous people here that have had problems with his discussion style. Better to move on. I just give him a hard time because... well... it is like shooting mentally handicapped fish in a barrel.

/shrug

M
stranger
stranger
M

Smart Loot doesn't mean you get an automatic upgrade with every drop (i.e. "useful prize in every box"). It just provides a higher percentage chance that the drop is for your class rather than some other class.

yup thatsthe only point

look need to have higher chances to be JUST USABLE, then between all the usable stuff youlll get some upgrade eventually

we dont want to upgrade at every chest, just see less crap

and maybe also avoid all the unusable stuff like cloth with dex and str that require 20 int

T
T
Originally Posted by Songbird
I remember in D3 when you were grinding for gear you'd get 8 million drops (an exaggeration, but a lot) but my friends only picked up yellow or better. Most stuff isn't even worth merchant fodder

In D:OS I pick up everything, even white stuff.

D3 and D:OS are different beasts.

That's a problem with how Diablo 3 designed loot and how common blues and yellows were (a legendary was only slightly more rare than a white post RoS!), not smart loot.

Again, Diablo 3 did basically everything wrong with loot except smart loot.

Exactly. Being able to get items that are not tailored to you was a part of the game. Tailored loot is a gimmick that turns a game into a shallow system.

Smart loot didn't make you unable to get items for other characters. It was far less likely to get a good monk weapon if you played a barbarian/crusader or vice versa but it wasn't impossible. The item distribution was the same, with smart loot only affecting the stats of 95% of the items that you could actually use.

Playing through Reaper of Souls I got items for characters I wasn't actively playing all the time.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by messere

Smart Loot doesn't mean you get an automatic upgrade with every drop (i.e. "useful prize in every box"). It just provides a higher percentage chance that the drop is for your class rather than some other class.

yup thatsthe only point

look need to have higher chances to be JUST USABLE, then between all the usable stuff youlll get some upgrade eventually

we dont want to upgrade at every chest, just see less crap

and maybe also avoid all the unusable stuff like cloth with dex and str that require 20 int

So you want every item found to be of use?

I wonder what is going to be in this chest? I don't know... but I know it will be exactly the type of item I need!

Not very exciting, but then to each their own.

Last edited by Tanist; 07/07/14 05:43 PM.
M
stranger
stranger
M

I wonder what is going to be in this chest? I don't know... but I know it will be exactly the type of item I need!

yeah between cloth, mail , leather, weapon, and for each slot

its like 50 100 different kind...

and i never talked about what you YOU NEED OR NOT

its about WHAT IS USABLE OR NOT

a cloth with dex str that require 20 int is NOT USABLE, thats a problem

a cloth with int and con is usable but maybe still not worth for you, who knows

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Tyhan
Originally Posted by Songbird
I remember in D3 when you were grinding for gear you'd get 8 million drops (an exaggeration, but a lot) but my friends only picked up yellow or better. Most stuff isn't even worth merchant fodder

In D:OS I pick up everything, even white stuff.

D3 and D:OS are different beasts.

That's a problem with how Diablo 3 designed loot and how common blues and yellows were (a legendary was only slightly more rare than a white post RoS!), not smart loot.

Again, Diablo 3 did basically everything wrong with loot except smart loot.

Exactly. Being able to get items that are not tailored to you was a part of the game. Tailored loot is a gimmick that turns a game into a shallow system.

Smart loot didn't make you unable to get items for other characters. It was far less likely to get a good monk weapon if you played a barbarian/crusader or vice versa but it wasn't impossible. The item distribution was the same, with smart loot only affecting the stats of 95% of the items that you could actually use.

Playing through Reaper of Souls I got items for characters I wasn't actively playing all the time.

Why should you get 95% of the stats you want when you loot an item? The problem I have is that those systems weights reward and removes the entire point of it. I personally despise those systems. To each their own though. Larian makes the random system, so it works out for me. /shrug

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Fireblade

Well, you've hit on it. When you respec you lose your skills/spells. Combined with the RNG-based itemization, you can potentially (and permanently) lose skills that you won't find again, even if you only want to make changes unrelated to those skills (getting rid of points spent in crafting, for example, or a particular school line that you're unhappy with). It's an overly harsh setup for a system that leaves players so at the mercy of complete randomness.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by messere

yeah between cloth, mail , leather, weapon, and for each slot

its like 50 100 different kind...

and i never talked about what you YOU NEED OR NOT

its about WHAT IS USABLE OR NOT

a cloth with dex str that require 20 int is NOT USABLE, thats a problem

a cloth with int and con is usable but maybe still not worth for you, who knows

Wait, not usable?

Str allows you to use str based weapons, which tend to be much higher damage ranges. Dex does the same, but also gives you a bonus to defense.

So, the thought of a caster who uses str weapons up close form time to time and works in a little dex to help in defense is "not usable"?

Sounds like what is "usable" is a matter of opinion and build choices.

Last edited by Tanist; 07/07/14 05:53 PM.
veteran
veteran
As for the the ol' "it's been this way forever, deal or move on" argument, I think Tanist's previous statement fits it best:

Oh... neat, you played the "XXXXXXXXX" trump card. Brilliant counter really, I mean... it works for everything..."

If you haven't noticed, you are the one in a forum complaining about a games feature that has been a part of its system from the start demanding it change.

Do you also go to FPS games sites and complain about them not being isometric? Do you whine in the forums of puzzle games about how they should be more about action?

Seems like you are out of your place. Diablo 3 forums ---->

If you haven't noticed, you're the one in a thread where the topic is complaints about the random loot system.

So, what's your point with all that? Or are you just throwing more nonsense out there? Check your other posts - you do that a lot, and not everyone is fond of your attitude. I didn't even jump into this topic until a page ago, but I saw your comments from the start and thought "There's good ol' Tanist being predictable and ridiculous again..".

Seems like you are out of your place. The everything is sunshine and rainbows discussion is --->

T
T
Why should you get 95% of the stats you want when you loot an item? The problem I have is that those systems weights reward and removes the entire point of it. I personally despise those systems. To each their own though. Larian makes the random system, so it works out for me. /shrug

Because getting dex on high level plate armor is garbage.

Because getting str on high level leather armor is garbage.

Those actually would be fine if the game let you truly hybrid however you want, but you can't. The only feasible way to hybrid dex/str is to use scale armor which is garbage and still limits you to only dex weapons. The requirements on weapons are too high since you have to pump 75% of the attributes you get to use your weapons, and weapon scaling is too strong to not do it.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T

If you haven't noticed, you're the one in a thread complaining about the random loot system.

I am? Lets see... Thread title is:

"The random loot system is lazy and mars the game."

You and your buddy decided to call people idiots who though the smart loot system in D3 was bad for the game.

you are also here complaining through every response about how bad this system is, you know... a system that has been around in their games from the beginning and they specifically chose to put in this new game. As I said, you sound like the type that likes to go to places they don't like and then whine about them providing things you don't like.

I am fine with the system as is, seems like you are projecting your whining here in this thread.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T

Because getting dex on high level plate armor is garbage.

Dex provides increase in defense rating. Seems like a reasonable off stat to me.

Because getting str on high level leather armor is garbage.

Str increases carrying capacity. Being able to carry more is valuable to some.

Those actually would be fine if the game let you truly hybrid however you want, but you can't. The only feasible way to hybrid dex/str is to use scale armor which is garbage and still limits you to only dex weapons. The requirements on weapons are too high since you have to pump 75% of the attributes you get to use your weapons, and weapon scaling is too strong to not do it.

You can argue if something is ideal or worth it (to you), but that won't help your random loot argument as it is based on something being useless, not "less ideal for what you desire". This fits right back into my point. You want the gear tailored to what "you" consider valuable. So, this whole "useless" is really a subjective argument. /shrug

Edit:

Another thing to consider is that the more we start implementing systems such as these "tailoring loot to the party", the more you have to consider simplifying your character development so as to be able to reasonable assess what might be useful. That in my opinion takes us in the wrong direction for character development systems. One of the problems with games these days is they keep oversimplifying the systems.

Last edited by Tanist; 07/07/14 06:17 PM.
T
T
Dex provides increase in defense rating. Seems like a reasonable off stat to me.

Defense Rating is dodging, and with such a low rating I don't think the guy in plate armor is suddenly going to start dodging attacks because of 1 dex. In fact I know that won't happen because I finally gave in and put on a +1 dex plate armor because it had been so long since getting an upgrade that I was now going to gain 10-20% in the 4 elemental resistances by putting this on.

Str increases carrying capacity. Being able to carry more is valuable to some.

That's what you have up to 4 party members for.

You can argue if something is ideal or worth it (to you), but that won't help your random loot argument as it is based on something being useless, not "less ideal for what you desire". This fits right back into my point. You want the gear tailored to what "you" consider valuable. So, this whole "useless" is really a subjective argument. /shrug

Or it's because you're an idiot that doesn't understand how shit works. 5 defense rating is worthless to a strength guy, and 20 carrying capacity is worthless to a dex guy. Those are facts.

you are also here complaining through every response about how bad this system is, you know... a system that has been around in their games from the beginning and they specifically chose to put in this new game. As I said, you sound like the type that likes to go to places they don't like and then whine about them providing things you don't like.

Diablo 1, 2, and original release 3 did not have smart loot. It was more apparent that it was a problem in D3 because gear was heavily changed and the most important thing you could get was primary stat, where two of the stats were completely worthless to every class. Smart loot was necessary for D3 to work, but that doesn't mean it can't help in other situations.

Just removing worthless stat rolls from items in Divinity won't mean that you always find an upgrade. There will still be times where you go 5+ levels without an upgrade. The difference is that you won't find a piece of gear that is ruined by a stat that could never be of use. The difference is that maybe you'll find +1 constitution when you really want +1 speed, but at least you won't feel jipped.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T

Defense Rating is dodging, and with such a low rating I don't think the guy in plate armor is suddenly going to start dodging attacks because of 1 dex. In fact I know that won't happen because I finally gave in and put on a +1 dex plate armor because it had been so long since getting an upgrade that I was now going to gain 10-20% in the 4 elemental resistances by putting this on.

So you will only have one stat with dex? See what we are doing here, now you are trying to argue what is worthy in a build and what is not. What you think and what another thinks is reasonable or worth it really depends on the build. What about the player who is actually putting "some" points in dex and then using some gear to fill in, but has another stat focus? Again, we are back to "you are playing wrong!" and that is driving your argument for the loot change.

That's what you have up to 4 party members for.

Or it's because you're an idiot that doesn't understand how shit works. 5 defense rating is worthless to a strength guy, and 20 carrying capacity is worthless to a dex guy. Those are facts.

Seems like when logic fails, best to sling the insults? What about a hybrid build? Oh wait, that is right, you in your infinite wisdom have already deemed any hybrid build to be worthless as well. we are all just idiots and not playing the game right. Yep... you sure are brilliant. I would apply for a job working for Blizzard, I think you would fit right in!

Last edited by Tanist; 07/07/14 06:36 PM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I think the definition of useable is too fluid for you to outright discount combinations you don't like. Let's say I want my Mage to use shields but I don't want to invest too much into strength. Shields req start from 6 str up. If my armour provides me with 1 str, that's one less I need to invest into my build to use a shield. In fact the armour alone is enough for me to use a basic shield.

T
T
So you will only have one stat with dex? See what we are doing here, now you are trying to argue what is worthy in a build and what is not. What you think and what another thinks is reasonable or worth it really depends on the build. What about the player who is actually putting "some" points in dex and then using some gear to fill in, but has another stat focus? Again, we are back to "you are playing wrong!" and that is driving your argument for the loot change.

Then we come to the point where dex/str hybrids don't work because the stat requirements for gear are too high. Dex/str hybrids would be completely viable if they removed gear stat requirements and made str and dex meaningful stats. Str and dex are virtually worthless stats because they're the gear requirement stats and weapons scale extremely strongly. Basically every 2 levels is doubling the power of your weapon.

So yes, the problem is because Larian designed the game in a way that made getting dex on plate and str on leather wrong. It's more disappointing because this game was advertised as classless but the only real classless part is that you can make basic magic spells work on just about anyone. I'd have no problem with them changing it to make it not wrong, but simply removing str from leather and dex from plate would be a lot less work and do well as an interim fix.

Seems like when logic fails, best to sling the insults? What about a hybrid build? Oh wait, that is right, you in your infinite wisdom have already deemed any hybrid build to be worthless as well. we are all just idiots and not playing the game right. Yep... you sure are brilliant. I would apply for a job working for Blizzard, I think you would fit right in!

The problem is that hybrid dex/str doesn't work. The game is anti dex/str. You can do str/int and dex/int as long as int is the secondary. The reason for this is gear. If gear did not have requirements and they made str and dex have meaningful changes then it would work, but right now it doesn't.

Putting all your stat points on the two worst stats is dumb, especially since you won't be able to use the best gear of one of those stats making the other completely worthless as if you can access the highest str gear but not highest dex then you will only use str and vice versa.

M
stranger
stranger
M

Str allows you to use str based weapons, which tend to be much higher damage ranges. Dex does the same, but also gives you a bonus to defense.

So, the thought of a caster who uses str weapons up close form time to time and works in a little dex to help in defense is "not usable"?

Sounds like what is "usable" is a matter of opinion and build choices.

no, its straight up logic

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard