Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
M
Now, I know the argument has been made that this is an old school CRPG, but after the game is over there's not much else to do.

With that, perhaps add a merchant that restocks frequently.

I would imagine this would be endgame stuff though, as to not mess with the balance of getting through the story. What do you guys think?

T
T
I think it would be a waste of time to do this. Perhaps you could take up this time to learn the editor and create custom campaigns!

journeyman
journeyman
I think there should definitely be some end game content. I appreciate that the core style of the game is an RPG with a defined story, but that doesn't mean there can't be anything to do after you complete the story. The combat in this game is great, it's a shame that there's a finite amount of enemies in the game.

Hopefully mods will fix this, though right now it's slow going while people figuring everything out, it may be a while.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I personally don't mind the idea of adding a few areas to grind in. If the "Experience Point Economy" is a concern, then those areas can provide minimal or no XP. My main concern is having areas where you can continue to get loot drops - especially crafting ingredients. I just find it rather odd that a lot of supposedly common crafting ingredients are both finite, and in actuality far rarer than things like weapons and armor.

Of course, recently there's been a lot of chatter about how Larian hasn't implemented the Mega Dungeon yet. Perhaps when that's added, it will provide some kind of renewable encounters or something.

addict
addict
Pretty much mod territory or expansion territory. Mods are up to modders and it's a bit early to be talking expansions.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
veteran
veteran
No

WOOS
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
It'd be nice to be able to level up someplace if you find yourself getting behind the curve. Seems like I'm always a level below the enemies I'm fighting. If I wasn't doing all the side quests I can find it'd probably be worse.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
And I find I'm always a level ahead... Maybe you are missing some quests

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
They should add respawning enemies everywhere, so that you don't feel obligated to squeeze out every ounce of exp that you can get out of every area in the game.

It's really weird to walk through all these empty areas in supposedly terrifyingly dangerous places.

stranger
stranger
Yes and no. I like the fact that most don't respawn, but I would also like an arena-type area or event with ever increasing challenges.

Then again, that sounds like the perfect idea for a mod - a Build Tester/Battle Arena, letting you try out various character/party combinations against different scenarios.

Hmmm....I should hurry up and finish a playthrough so I can dive into the toolkit.

veteran
veteran
There is simply no need for it. The game is amost perfectly balanced to your own level if you follow the "right" path. You will always fight against mobs that are on the same level as you or one level different at the maximum... wink

WOOS
M
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by SagaDC
I personally don't mind the idea of adding a few areas to grind in. If the "Experience Point Economy" is a concern, then those areas can provide minimal or no XP. My main concern is having areas where you can continue to get loot drops - especially crafting ingredients. I just find it rather odd that a lot of supposedly common crafting ingredients are both finite, and in actuality far rarer than things like weapons and armor.

Of course, recently there's been a lot of chatter about how Larian hasn't implemented the Mega Dungeon yet. Perhaps when that's added, it will provide some kind of renewable encounters or something.

That's my main thing. I'm afraid to craft because of the finite resources.

A way around the Experience economy, I guess just only give XP on the first time you kill something.

Last edited by Madkat124; 07/07/14 08:22 PM.
T
T
Originally Posted by Madkat124
That's my main thing. I'm afraid to craft because of the finite resources.

Speaking of this: Crafting isn't fair. Swords and axes can be crafted infinitely. If you don't like the sword or axe you got, you can just smelt it back into the only thing you need to make the sword or axe and try again. You can do this over and over again when leveling up.

Everything else is finite.

M
M
The problem with "respawning enemies" is that we have "Respawning Resources".

Our action points are an endless source of damage, hitpoints, you name it. Once a trick has been determined to killing "whatever" then you'll just have a rapid leveling machine.

Each encounter is supposed to be unique and planned unto itself. To create "respawning enemies" is to deprive the player of that sort of storytelling experience.

While endlessly respawning enemies might be useless... an endlessly respawning DUNGEON might be very interesting.

If you *do* want to something like that consider this image:
[Linked Image]

You have a small temple that you enter and clear out. The entrance of said temple informs you in a round about way that each lower floor is a shifting realm of tortured dreams.

Then, every time the player re-enters the dungeon they would have a new play experience.

Some of you may recognize this from the video game "Lufia 2" with the ancient cave that had 99 "random" levels that the player could experience.

Last edited by Mr. C; 07/07/14 08:31 PM.
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by LordCrash
There is simply no need for it. The game is amost perfectly balanced to your own level if you follow the "right" path. You will always fight against mobs that are on the same level as you or one level different at the maximum... wink

There's no "need" for any of the things in the game; their purpose is to be entertaining.

T
T
Originally Posted by Simulacrum
There's no "need" for any of the things in the game; their purpose is to be entertaining.

Respawning enemies would take away from the game. It already takes ~a ton~ of time without respawning enemies, and if you really want to fight more that's what custom scenarios are for. Of course the problem is that custom scenarios aren't out yet, but good content takes time.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Simulacrum
Originally Posted by LordCrash

True. But there is something called "design" and "balance". By adding respawning enemies you would cripple any serious attempt to properly balance the game.

If you just want to enjoy combat there should be combat-only maps soon. But in the campaign you follow a certain path which is well balanced for your party to offer constant fair and balanced challenge. wink

WOOS
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Songbird

Same here! Even so, I enjoy combat so much I wish I could do more of it, especially after along spell in town yapping with the people and getting/updating quests. I'd love an arena I could go to that didn't give XP but gave other rewards, maybe with a challenge for each level of experience to test your mettle (perhaps accessible via an end of time portal).

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by camelotcrusade
Originally Posted by Songbird

Same here! Even so, I enjoy combat so much I wish I could do more of it, especially after along spell in town yapping with the people and getting/updating quests. I'd love an arena I could go to that didn't give XP but gave other rewards, maybe with a challenge for each level of experience to test your mettle (perhaps accessible via an end of time portal).

Sounds like a cool mod to me. Nothing Larian themselves need to invest time and money into... wink

Last edited by LordCrash; 07/07/14 09:20 PM.

WOOS
A
stranger
stranger
A
I dont really understand how the loot-system works with finite enemies anyhow. Still the game feels good as it is now but i think what others mentioned would be perfect - a dungeon.

Not for XP - that would probably break the game - but for loot. XP could be completely disabled or seriously reduced.

What would also be fun:
- instead of a dungeon create an arena with random enemies - not to gain XP but to get loot

Last edited by Areason; 07/07/14 09:25 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard