Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hey Larian,

Just wanted to say thank you for Divinity: Original Sin. The Wife and I had a blast playing it together yesterday...most of the day, in fact. We haven't done that in ages, not since we had kids. I grew up in Ultima IV and thought the days of...well, thinking in games had come to a close. We are both happy to see this is not the case.

Now, we bought this game from steam during their summer sale, so I got it for peanuts. We didn't know anything about the kickstarter nor have we playing any of the previous games. Frankly, I bought it because it was cheap and I read an article on the game that likened it to Ultima VII.

Since playing D: OS, we have been all about it. Looked into the kickstarter and the history of its development. Having learned about the projects history, I have to convey once very large disappointment. The Day/Night cycle and NPC schedules...a HUGE gameplay feature of the Ultima series starting with Ultima V. I understood that budgetary issues led to it being cut, even though it was a promised item.

Rather than complain and blame, I will ask that you try to add this promised feature as DLC. To help with this, and to say thank you for making such a great game, we purchased the collectors edition of D: OS. Honestly don't know what I will do with three copies of the game, but I can think of no higher compliment than purchasing additional copies to support/reward the team.

Please consider our humble request regarding the Day/Night Cycle and NPC schedule.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
It would be nice for immersion... but it could be annoying if you are back in Cyseal at 2AM in the morning after adventuring, trying to buy your tome of [insert skillbook name], and Cylia is like "F* off, I'm trying to get my beauty sleep" wink

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
They have beds. Sleep system? Camping? To set a watch or to not set a watch?

veteran
veteran
Day/Night cycle would be pretty cool. I can only imagine how everything would look at night with all the nice lighting in towns or darkness in the Luculla forest... smile

Last edited by LordCrash; 07/07/14 09:04 PM.

WOOS
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Songbird
It would be nice for immersion... but it could be annoying if you are back in Cyseal at 2AM in the morning after adventuring, trying to buy your tome of [insert skillbook name], and Cylia is like "F* off, I'm trying to get my beauty sleep" wink

That's true. Even so, I remember nighttime fondly in Ultima. I wasn't as annoyed shops were closed because it was expected and it was neat to see people going about their evening routines. Plus, Larian could add a "pass time" function in case you wanted to rest until dawn so the markets were open.

Day and Night adds more uses for clocks, watches, and personal light sources as well as the opportunity for quests and other plot devices which happen only at night.

They might need to put night watchmen on patrol in Cyseal, though, or stealing all the stuff laying around would be too easy!

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by spankybus
/ Honestly don't know what I will do with three copies of the game, but I can think of no higher compliment than purchasing additional copies to support/reward the team.

Please consider our humble request regarding the Day/Night Cycle and NPC schedule.

I could hardly imagine getting a better or nicer gift, so maybe you can pass them on to some worthy people and get them hooked, maybe even play with them in 4 player co-op, for which there is a mod already.

Or save them for your kids?

Certainly a very nice thing you did there and i do hope Larian devs will eventually do it.

G
stranger
stranger
G
Originally Posted by LordCrash
Day/Night cycle would be pretty cool. I can only imagine how everything would look at night with all the nice lighting in towns or darkness in the Luculla forest... smile

Yeah, I guess I'd stay in town with Ruby as a company for duration of the night smile

apprentice
apprentice
I may be mistaken, but I thought I read somewhere that yes, Larian regretted the day/night thing, but such a detail was far more complicated than anticipated. Something was said about how it was like making a second game. I take that as meaning...well, we have the game during the day; when it's night (or transitioning), there'd be another set of scripts, behaviours, and dialogues to create. i.e, "This is how spell X functions during the day, always (and that is where we're at without cycles)." "But this is how it functions at night" is a whole new bag of worms that could double the amount of work for the same length of gameplay.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gargauth
Originally Posted by LordCrash

Yeah, I guess I'd stay in town with Ruby as a company for duration of the night smile

Haha...

...but her new troll friend probably wouldn't be too happy about that. horsey

WOOS
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by camelotcrusade
That's true. Even so, I remember nighttime fondly in Ultima. I wasn't as annoyed shops were closed because it was expected and it was neat to see people going about their evening routines. Plus, Larian could add a "pass time" function in case you wanted to rest until dawn so the markets were open.

Day and Night adds more uses for clocks, watches, and personal light sources as well as the opportunity for quests and other plot devices which happen only at night.

They might need to put night watchmen on patrol in Cyseal, though, or stealing all the stuff laying around would be too easy!

Maybe they can add it in an expansion. I'd imagine the change would be too involved to implement for the current game.

After all this isn't The SIMS: Late Night laugh

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Songbird
Originally Posted by camelotcrusade

Maybe they can add it in an expansion. I'd imagine the change would be too involved to implement for the current game.

After all this isn't The SIMS: Late Night laugh

I see this kind of comment a lot with these times of games..."this isn't the Sims."

And yet, when the game is moddable, some of the first mods made always involve adding realism, sleep systems, food requirements, etc. it seems that a good number of people would actually like a game like this to have those properties...except maybe the bathroom requirement....but then if you crap yourself...-10 charisma.

Link Copied to Clipboard