Print Thread
#505731 02/07/14 03:56 PM
E
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
Hi,

I will need to re-install my whole laptop soon and I was wondering how the save files work if I have installed the game with Steam.

Will I keep everything if I reinstall the game with Steam? Or do I need to backup my save files? If yes, where are they on my computer so I can backup them?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Etdashou; 02/07/14 04:07 PM.
old hand
old hand
It's was on but we switched it off again as the save games are currently too large and causing problems on the Cloud. We'll make them smaller and reactivate the Steam Cloud soon. In case anybody wonders, all save games (big ones and small ones) will remain compatible with future updates.

E
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
Can I find those save games in my /Document folder of my PC? If yes, what is the filetype and path?

Thanks a lot for the reply.

stranger
stranger
Looks like it's:

Documents/Larian Studios/Divinity Original Sin/PlayerProfiles/(Your Profile Name)/Savegames

C
stranger
stranger
C
Originally Posted by Lar_q
It's was on but we switched it off again as the save games are currently too large and causing problems on the Cloud. We'll make them smaller and reactivate the Steam Cloud soon. In case anybody wonders, all save games (big ones and small ones) will remain compatible with future updates.

Do you guys have any idea on a time frame for this? Is it something you expect to have this done very soon? I have two different places I game, and having cloud compatibility would be a big help, so I'm just interested to know when I should expect this, even if it's a very rough estimate. Thanks.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by Coactus
Originally Posted by Lar_q

Do you guys have any idea on a time frame for this? Is it something you expect to have this done very soon? I have two different places I game, and having cloud compatibility would be a big help, so I'm just interested to know when I should expect this, even if it's a very rough estimate. Thanks.

If you play games a lot simply take your savegames with you on an USB-Stick.

As of now i dont really se the point in having cloud-saves. I think i have a rather decent internet-provider - yet uploading 300-600 mb takes quite some time so it seems a way better solution for now to simply copy the save-files. Not to mention that uploading at max speed pretty much makes internet not usable.

Also i dont know but i doubt that making savegames smaller is a priority a few days after release.

Last edited by Areason; 07/07/14 09:57 PM.
M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Areason

If you play games a lot simply take your savegames with you on an USB-Stick.

As of now i dont really se the point in having cloud-saves.

Many of us have multiple gaming rigs in disparate locations. Steam Cloud is specifically intended to keep savegames synced across installs.

Sneakernet is... less than elegant.

+1 for smaller profiles that properly upload to Steam Cloud.

--B

C
crw Offline
stranger
stranger
C
I am a +1 to getting this fixed as well. Although, moving from 600MB saves to something more reasonable sounds like a big challenge. I will go find a USB drive in the meantime.

R
stranger
stranger
R
Originally Posted by Pendulus
Looks like it's:

Documents/Larian Studios/Divinity Original Sin/PlayerProfiles/(Your Profile Name)/Savegames

Now use Dropbox along with symbolic links to create your own "Steam Cloud."

Alternatively, use Gamesave Manager.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Waiting for this as well. This is actually why I suggested during the development that they should allow the user to change the save directory (in a config file or whatever), it would then be easy to sync the save games through any service, NAS or whatever the user wanted to. It could even work directly to a USB stick! Yes, I know about symbolic links, but we shouldn't really have to.

Last edited by Aasgaard; 15/07/14 06:21 PM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
Waiting for this as well. Why not just compress the saves? A 215MB folder just goes down to 25MB with a simple ZIP compression.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
I'm using SugarSync to sync my saves here, works well. I'm happy with that.

stranger
stranger
Any updates on this? I would like to be able to play the game on both my desktop and laptop.

Link Copied to Clipboard