Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
old hand
old hand
That cheap one liner means as much as in the previous example where you tried it and failed at it horribly.

By retorting so cheaply you only point out that those concepts are alien to you.
Which isnt any kind of surprise, really.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Etdashou
Originally Posted by Viperswhip
Originally Posted by Etdashou
Originally Posted by Huyt
or that you can delay your turn (button middle right of the screen) so you can play 2 times consecutively, or etc...

You can DELAY your turn!!!!!

Holy mother of god... what a nice tip. Never saw this button in 55hours of playtime.
This button should be placed next to the "Skip turn" button, wtf!

I will one up you, I never noticed a skip turn button, I just hit spacebar, naturally, even though I can't remember using it for such in a game before. It will be excellent for certain builds that's for sure.

Or perhaps add this to the Tutorial? I am not sure if I missed this tip or if it doesn't exist...

It's in the tutorial already. The first time you get the chance to delay your action, assuming you haven't turned the tutorial off, it will tell you it's there at the side of the screen. For those of you that weren't aware, that's why you leave tutorial on the first time you play a game no matter how many games you have played before.

Last edited by Steerpike; 07/07/14 10:53 PM. Reason: Correcting a comment
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Originally Posted by Hiver
That cheap one liner means as much as in the previous example where you tried it and failed at it horribly.

By retorting so cheaply you only point out that those concepts are alien to you.

Congrats on being the first person I have ever ignored on a forum. Not everyone has time to play with the trolls.

D
stranger
stranger
D
I found the game hard at the start as well. However hard games generally have more replayability, and are ultimately more rewarding.

Heck I remember Baldurs Gate 1 was very unforgiving the first time I played it. Took me ages to get into that game as I struggled to get past the Kobold mines.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
I have played lots of RPG games over the years as well - and have changed to Easy here - can't say it worries me at all. I save a lot as well. Big deal - I'm having fun. When I get the hang of it a bit more I will probably adjust it up to Normal.

On the delay move button mentioned a few posts back - I have had the tutorial on in 2 trial games and my current 'serious' run through and haven't seen it mentioned so far.

Gaming dinosaur!!
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Brian Wright

Congrats on being the first person I have ever ignored on a forum. Not everyone has time to play with the trolls.

Of course, spoken like a true pathetic drone with distorted devolved issues of self entitlement and no brains, logic, common sense, knowledge or guts. Facts, truth and logic are like poison to you.

Devolved generation of empty ego "entertainment" junkies.

Originally Posted by Viperswhip
I spent some time on Saturday watching a few let's play videos before deciding to buy the game on Steam (I own all the other Divinity games and have played them for what it's worth). One of those videos was on character creation, which is quite broad and open here, approaching Fallout level of freedom.

I still made mistakes, I do assume I will replay this game once we get more content though, so I am not too worried.

The class video suggesting swapping out one of the earth spells for summon spider. Oh, thank you. Summons, your answer to whatever the PC throws at you. Mages not your thing? I don't have a great answer yet.

/

I have stunned myself by standing in a puddle, I have wiped out running across my now dead Ice Elemental, the spell combos and environmental effects in this game are something I adore, and have never seen before. It will take a bit of time to get used to them, and exactly what and what does not set them off. I stun my own guys pretty frequently and Madora has been blown up quite a few times by accident.

My man.

i myself have seen my party wiped, character killed any which way you can imagine. Sometimes fair and square, sometimes due to my mistakes or momentarily laziness, or just experimentation.

Verily... i have no idea, i cant even imagine whats with these people who actually want to be winning all the time, every time. Whats the point of that?

If i was just winning every combat encounter i would have stopped playing long ago. My brain would have died from boredom. What challenge is there then? Whats then interesting? What obstacle then i have to surmount? What to learn? Discover?

What a ghastly non logic the ego creates... ugh.

stranger
stranger
I have a similar cRPG background to a lot of folks here, starting with Ultima/Bards Tale/AD&D Gold Box and moving through the Baldurs Gates, Torment, Neverwinter and Temple of Elemental Evil games (not to mention XCOM and Fallout tactical games).

I really love this game, I backed it on Kickstarter and I dabbled a little bit with early access (about 20 hours or so in total prior to launch) so I probably had a bit of a head start with how the game mechanics work. That being said, the mechanics did change a lot throughout the course of early access/beta but the foundations of environmental interaction and elements remained true throughout.

I swallowed my ego a while ago and just settled on playing the game on easy difficulty. After my time in early access I realised that in order to play the way I want to play, I had to play it on easy difficulty. If I wanted to increase the difficulty, I would have needed to cheese the mechanics and munchkin up with min-maxing and exploiting henchman. I wasn't prepared to do that so I just settled on playing it on the lowest setting.

I do have a few personal hates about the game, I don't like the over use of sourcery in general, there is an over abundance of magical arrows, over use of magical arrows by monsters and a few minor gripes like that, I feel that they are used too early in the game.

I would have expected skeleton archers to use regular arrows with the occasional marksman ability rather than not use any marksman ability but have a rotation of freeze, poison cloud and explosive arrows. These are just things that I felt could have been done a little better, held off until midway or later in the campaign. Rather than see all of the magic up front in the first few hours of the game, they should have trickled these monsters in over the course of the game to a climactic peak at the end of the campaign.

Even though these points bother me to no end, I still see the value in how freaking amazing this game is. I can't wait to see what people do with the editor and hopefully Larian will make an expansion for it down the track too. The game is solid enough that I could see myself playing additional content for a few years (like with the modding community and Neverwinter Nights).

I can definitely see where Adam is coming from though. I was there too.

Your Rose Colored Spectacles of Nostalgia appear to be cracked. Maybe it's time to look forward to something.
E
stranger
stranger
E
"I don't know how to play this game, therefore it sucks" is basically what you said.

If you don't understand the game mechanics or don't want to take the time to understand the game mechanics, move on to another game. Experiment with different builds, read the dialog and quests, and learn like everyone else has done before you.

H
stranger
stranger
H
Originally Posted by Brian Wright

This is pretty ironic statement considering your last two posts.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Hmmm.
It's true this is no easy walk in and go game. Normal should probably be titled, "Loves Me Some Tactical Action" and Hard should be, "Scouting or Twin Mage Essential".

That said, if you mess around in the starting area, the two guards and the first orc fight, you should have a good idea of party make up you like and will work. I was in beta, obviously, but I never got further than the front gate of Cyseal. I spent my time working over different combos.

This is a CRPG really meant in the old vein, and using info and preferences by backers who enjoyed getting our asses handed to us in Hard on BG, P:T and Fallout. We like dying or, alternatively, being really, really, really careful before and during a fight.

Example: last night I fought the Baron. At level 4. I had to reload a lot, but not because I died. I had to reload because the very thorough oil field I was setting as a trap kept resetting.

Once it was set and everyone was in place with boulder smash, fireball, summons and assorted goodies ready to go, the fight was on. The set-up took half an hour, though.

That's the kind of game D:OS is. Probably needs a big warning label or something.

G
G
Personally I think the folks who are struggling with the game difficulty are rushing through the game too quickly...
There are allot of quests etc to get your experience up and better gear.
If you rush straight out of a town gate you are going to be in trouble and yes you will die frequently...
The right order of how to approach the area is really important, so yes first time round you will struggle with that. My advice is try out various areas if one is too hard, there will always be a manageable area for you and it's up to you to find it.

finally:
YOU ARE NOT ALL POWERFULL the game isn't supposed to give you a cake walk easy experience. One of the main parts is supposed to be the difficult combat. enjoy it !

WeresheepVampire of Original Sin
WoOS - https://weresheep.net/doku.php
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by TonyD
I have played lots of RPG games over the years as well - and have changed to Easy here - can't say it worries me at all. I save a lot as well. Big deal - I'm having fun. When I get the hang of it a bit more I will probably adjust it up to Normal.

On the delay move button mentioned a few posts back - I have had the tutorial on in 2 trial games and my current 'serious' run through and haven't seen it mentioned so far.

Indeed ! It's not a shame at all to play on easy (if you wish, see it like: lowest vs highest difficulty wink !)

About the "delay move button" :
I really wonder this: WHO have readed the Game Manual from begin to end thoroughly ? Well, IN this nice written Game Manual I've readed you can skip your turn in combat, not in the tutorial ! (but maybe I've missed this, can be) wink

About my "first impressions" playing D:OS for the very first time (I've not played alpha or beta versions!) :
I really like and already LOVE this RPG just played the tutorial and ended up now in Cyseal talking to NPC's ...
And I'm SURE I gonna love this game (a Gem for sure) even more and more ... I'm more than 100 % sure of that smile !
And I only play a few hours Divinity: Original Sin and I'm already addicted to the game !! I wish I've tons of time to play, but no, I've not frown ... but I'm happy if I can play at least 1 hours or so each day or two ... smile

I believe it is logical that each "sailor", "worker" or .. have the same conversation. It's very nice the devs put more than one sailor/worker/etc into the game PLUS: otherwise gamers can start conplaining that "the game world is SO empthy & not 'alive' enough" bla bla bla ... And to know this: each sailor or worker don't have the same things to sell ...

And last but not least: I play a RPG just because of it's REplayability so I can have billions of hours of fun with just 1 game !
My coinpurse will have known laugh !

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
addict
addict
Playing the game on hard. No problems here.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Originally Posted by Irish Android
Vandraman; good advice. I tried to use smoke once and never accomplished this, and gave up. I'll try again. Archers are killing me lately. Where can I get Wildfire and Oath of Desecration? I'm level 7 and haven't seen either.

Thanks, glad to help! I got Wildfire from Arhu and Oath of Desecration from the woman upstairs in the King's Crab Inn.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by dlux
Playing the game on hard. No problems here.

yeah, I am too.

I am tempted to do a "naked" game where I only use weapons, no clothing, armor, or jewelry and play it on hard just to show some of these complainers that this is a PEBKAC issue.

veteran
veteran
And what does PEBKAC mean ? confused

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Joram
And what does PEBKAC mean ? confused

Problem
Exists
Between
Keyboard
And
Chair

Also see ID ten T errors. wink

veteran
veteran
Just read page 1 so far... many interesting posts, already want to reply to a few before proceeding...
Originally Posted by jfunk
Simple question. If you feel like a "loser" for turning difficulty to Easy, why would the developer reducing the Normal difficulty to Easy make you feel like any less of a loser? The same thing will have happened.

I've never understood this argument. "It's too hard, but I refuse to turn down the difficulty...change the game".

All games should just change the names of their default difficulty settings. Instead of Easy - Normal - Hard, just name them Normal - Advanced - Hard. Then we no longer have to worry injuring the egos of the emotionally unstable via the use of the word easy.

There's no shame in playing on Easy. Different games are more or less difficult for different people. Expecting every game's "Normal" to be set to your personal skill level is insane

Applause for you, sir... the most sensible post I read on page 1. Very well explained!
Hold on here. In CRPGs you're not generally expected to know the mechanics when you start out. Normal mode is usually scaled such that a non mix-max party will have a pretty good chance at winning any giving encounter.

Modern RPG? You would be right.
Old school? You would be so wrong.
You don't want to know how much of a beating I got playing the Baldur's Gates when I was small, not understanding a thing of the AD&D rules. I got punished... a lot. On easy!
Even now, when I do understand, and undoubtfully become 100x better because of it, play on normal, a lot of fights can be challenging for me. And then there are people who actually play BG2 "iron mode" and don't die at all for the entire game and expansion... and I'm like... HOW? I definitely could not do that.
In modern games, I definitely could do that though...
You're tossed right into the deep end and expected to swim.

Again; Welcome to the golden age of RPG's... not those sissy hand-holding ones modern generations give you. You fail? Try again. Learn... get better. Rise above your challenge.
Of course the modern generation is not used to that, so instead if they die once, they don't, and come compaining to the developers they screwed up. As the OP. Even making arguments as "I don't understand the mechanics, I keep harming myself!"... How about learning to stop that before complaining the game is broken?

Fortunately, it seems good old-style no-nonse who do not question your intelligence RPG's are on a rise. Where gaming is meant you need to rise to your challenge, rather than your challenge is so easy (or worse, a quick-time event... ugh) even without using any tools given or understanding the system normal is a cakewalk simply cause they cannot 'afford' to harm people who will be mentally scarred going to easy.
I enjoy a tactical challenge, but they're going to lose a lot of players with the difficulty curve in this game.

The backing of Torment, Project Eternity and it's rank in Steam Sales do say otherwise. Also remember what a massive hit Dark Souls turned out to be?
No, it seems there's a gigantic market for this still. And if you're not going to adapt, you're in bad shape, since those other KS games are only going to make it worse than what you experience here. Better to quickly adapt to playing with skill, understanding, trial, and not ragequit for a single beating, but instead learn and improve.
Of course, nobody can convince a player who expects to breeze through on the first play that the fault isnt in the game.

Yay modern games and there difficulties being downgraded to not harm any potential souls (read: sales), eh?

EEEEDIT:
To make mattes worse I started with my characters being a Shadowblade (customized to be melee centric with bleed)and Witch (swapped out the spider spell at char creation). Uh 90% of the mobs at early levels are undead which means immune to bleed which was my main combo/mechanic (Witch bleeds mobs and melee char heals off blood). Or plague guys who bleed poison. One of the main tricks from what I can tell by reading the forums is to summon spiders which act like decoys...guess I shouldn't have dropped my summoning spider ability but who knew. My Witch is basically useless until I can get spells to change her a bit but they cost like 1500 gold a piece.

Sorry, I have to say it, but... this is really your own fault.
There are PRESETS for a REASON (set that way for a reason). By modifying them you pretty much agree with the game you understand the workings of it, and that, yes, you can seriously screw yourself over. That's why it's called advanced mode in Drakensang for example, and here it's also definitely NOT advised for new players, only those who know what they're doing.

Can't really complain you fiddled with the EXPERT options being a newbie (no offense) and then getting burned. That's why there are presets to guide new players in the right direction and the expert mode for players who know what they're doing and think they can do better than the devs set out for them, using their knowledge of the game...

Last edited by Hassat Hunter; 08/07/14 02:30 PM. Reason: Reply on page 2 post regarding modifying stats on startup and getting burned by it
M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Hi,

some great comments on here and not really much else to say but I'll just add that this game is simply amazing!
I too grew up with Ultima, Bards Tale and Gold Box games (also anyone remember Demon's Winter?) and this is probably the most fulfilling 'real' cRPG since Ultima 7 with perhaps a kindly nod to Baldurs Gate and NWN along the way!
However I have to admit that after years of modern so-called roleplaying games such as WOW I got to Cyseal and thought, what happens now? I was expecting to be guided painlessly through the start with easy quests and to get straight back to the fighting! I had been brainwashed by years of 'on-rails' games!
But when I realised it was not all about fighting I rediscovered my love of exploring and making real choices in cRPGs!
I just love the fact that every fight needs to be really thought about tactically, I have made many mistakes when starting this game as I never read guides or watch tutorial videos, I prefer to discover the wonders for myself smile
I chose a Knight and Witch character, I did not max my strength and intelligence for the relevant characters which meant I fell behind slightly on the best weapons and spells. I also did not even realise there was a second NPC to join with until I had explored quite a lot of the map!(Johon).

I now have two fighters and two wizards but actually it works well for me, that's what is so wonderful about the game, it is quite tough but never unfairly, if you fail to win a fight it's because your tactics were wrong and many different styles can work well if you understand them.

It may be that the game style and difficulty may put off some modern gamers but it is definitely worth persevering with as I feel the rewards are worth the initial slight pain smile
I have only been playing for a week and did not even know the game existed until a few days before that but every time I play I discover something new, so refreshing compared the 'grinding' crpgs nowadays.
Can't wait to get back to it tonight although my Wife is getting a bit sick of me playing D:OS! smile

Last edited by Mrrockitt; 09/07/14 10:02 AM.
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Originally Posted by happytohelp
This is pretty ironic statement considering your last two posts.

LoL. Have you read his posts? If you're trying to call me a troll you're looking for hypocritical, not ironic.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard