Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Tyhan
The point of an expansion in RPGs is to continue.

I ask because I typically don't play isometric turn based games (NWN, Baldur's, etc). Plenty of expansions start over, but I agree that is one fault with continued leveling post-campaign, assuming they want/are/plan to make an expansion.

old hand
old hand
Whenever The Dungeon(tm) is released, there will be that content to run through.

A dungeon with respawning enemies that get harder and harder as you go deeper, would be a great addition to the game, especially for end game. Maybe even randomize the enemies, perhaps based on especially hard-to-beat enemy group templates smile

Definitely a good project for a mod, as long as it can be shimmied into the main campaign.

I agree that it is problematic that resources are finite for certain types of crafting but not others.
The economy is also out of whack. Things are way too expensive. At least that's the feeling I'm getting playing through Cyseal.

old hand
old hand

No to any such areas, during and especially out of the game story or after it.

Of course. The game has its specific story to tell. Character arc to present. Specific mechanics and rules of engagement.

Any such "area" would diminish the main campaign and whatever any player did with his characters.
This is really self evident but still, it looks like it has to be said out loud.

A separate mini campaign or a mod, thats fine. Whatever.

If there is a Cavern of Ultimate Evil and absolutely no story incentive to go and disrupt the monsters who live there, then surely it would be up to the player whether they went. If you do not like being able to fight and fight and fight, then simply stay away.

The game goal is about having fun. Some people really like the tactical aspect of fights and want more of them. Those who do not want this, could just ignore the dungeon and let those who DO enjoy it have their fun with it.

No such luck on the Internet though, where haters will hate on the enjoyment of others.

G
stranger
stranger
G
I would love some dungeons with endless enemies. I'm hoping some modders even add respawnable enemies along with prestige levels to the main campaign, if that's possible. The battle system is amazing to me and I could do nothing but battling for hours.

H
stranger
stranger
H
Creating a NG+ experience could be a very good mod idea, but also will requier to mod every fight in the game, in order to make them lot more challenging for hight level party.
So it will requier a lot of modding but yes, replaying the whole against monster level 20-30+ with better AI and abilities could be nice.
And if on top of that you add new hidden boss fight exclusive to the NG+ !!!

SO you could fix max level to 30, and said that NG+ is level 20 to 30.

Last edited by Huyt; 08/07/14 09:16 AM.
F
journeyman
journeyman
F
There's a core problem on adding grinding area, if you don't use it you are penalized and if you use it, grinding is awfully tedious, combats with zero design is very boring. So no.

G
stranger
stranger
G
Originally Posted by Fend
There's a core problem on adding grinding area, if you don't use it you are penalized and if you use it, grinding is awfully tedious, combats with zero design is very boring. So no.

I can see your point. If it exists, you feel obligated to use it, and since you don't like it, it would take away your enjoyment. Personally, I love grinding, but maybe it's best left to modders.

veteran
veteran
*cough* still wondering why people actually want to ADD grinding. The last person I asked just started rambling and became crazy. Or was from the start, if I read more of his post... are there rational people here?

And... "endgame" ugh. Reminds me of The Old Republic... "Hey, this story stuff is kinda good and fun. Oh, it's over now. In KOTOR(2) I would go new game here I go... Oh god. Why... WHY??? It's so bad... *sniff*"

stranger
stranger
Respawn and grinding in Dininity? You must be joking... No, no and no again.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
As I've stated elsewhere, my main concern is the finite number of resources, more than the finite number of experience points. Aside from crafting weapons and armor, which can be done indefinitely due to the ability to melt said items back down into base resources, many crafting recipes are inherently limited. All sorts of items such as plants, animal parts, and all sorts of basic "mundane" items like rope or needles and thread are, in actuality, harder to find than things like magical weapons and armor. Certain character classes, such as Rangers, will burn through inherently finite resources such as magical arrows, with no way to replenish them short of scrounging through barrels and keeping their fingers crossed each time the merchant inventories reset (which, mind you, only happens a finite number of times).

I'm not really concerned about grinding experience points, although I'm sure there are some folks who want that. I'm more concerned about finding more readily accessible loot drops. Dungeons with renewable foes could provide a potential source of such items, even if they opt to make "respawned" enemies grant little or no experience points.

It's certainly not the ONLY solution, but it's a possible solution. Something that might help offset my concerns is a more sensible merchant inventory reset timer, since at the moment they only reset their inventories each time your "main" character goes up a level - and even then, their inventories are fairly randomized (varying from vendor to vendor). And, again, even then the overall amount of gold in the world is still inherently finite (although admittedly, that's far less likely to be a problem).

I mean, where exactly do we draw the line between what is and isn't logical, when it comes to respawning or resetting things? Should merchant inventories even reset at all? What about plants? Should plants respawn? Should wounded enemies regenerate health when the player isn't around? I mean, if the goal is to present an in-game world where everything is static except for what the player expressly decides to change, then I suppose not.

EDIT - As an aside, this isn't even a particularly big issue for me personally. But still, some of the arguments AGAINST it just seem silly.

Last edited by SagaDC; 08/07/14 01:42 PM.
F
apprentice
apprentice
F
I think the main problem with making mods for this game is the level cap.
With a lvl cap of at least 50 we could make huge zones with lots of monsters etc, but with such a limited cap we can't make really long mods.

We don't need respawns, just more levels.

journeyman
journeyman
Definitely a good project for a mod, as long as it can be shimmied into the main campaign.

This is currently a problem, as there's no way to retroactively mod the main campaign that anyone has found. You'd have to start a new game with the mod enabled.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Falcus
I think the main problem with making mods for this game is the level cap.
With a lvl cap of at least 50 we could make huge zones with lots of monsters etc, but with such a limited cap we can't make really long mods.

There is no "hard cap" on level progression. The level cap exists only because of the limited EXP available for leveling up.

Export Character
Import to Grind Mod
Export Character
Import to Main campaign

Sounds like a job for a save editor of sorts, unless it's already part of the functionality?

veteran
veteran
That's not a desire to grind... that's just wishing to get more XP. Might aswell skip the whole 'export' stuff and add XP in the save, and you have your effect... smirk

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Halcyon
Export Character

There is no built in functionality for that, and it may be a while before anyone figures out how to alter saves (if anyone ever does). Currently saves are locked to mods, so we don't even know if in the future you'll be able to move from mod to mod with a save. For now, you can't do any of these things.

journeyman
journeyman
Which Feature i would love to see is a Export System for Charakters. So if you beat the Game you can Export your Charakter and then with Mods, Expensions or whatever you can go to new Adventures. Maybe there would make a endless Arena kinda thing sense where you get more Challenge over Time!
I mean, i love the Roundbased Combatsystem and sometimes i wish i could play a sidemode where i can just 4 fun fight or challenge myself. Also new Dungeons and so on would be possible!

But also some Areas with respawning Enemies would be Fun too, but not a must for me^^

By the Way: If i remember Correctly, didn`t had Beyond Divinity such a mode?!^^

Last edited by LightningYu; 08/07/14 08:39 PM.
A
A
Originally Posted by Gregarious
Originally Posted by Fend

I can see your point. If it exists, you feel obligated to use it, and since you don't like it, it would take away your enjoyment. Personally, I love grinding, but maybe it's best left to modders.

Thank you for acknowledging this when formulate in a non-offensive way. smile
And yeah, I have to agree, there is no point in having a grinding area in the main game.

I would go even so far to say there is no point for grinding areas in mods either, because you can have just fine combat heavy mods without respawn too and there should no (edit) lack of decent supply of those from mods. So why have the same fights over and over when you can play new scenarios instead? We have the technology to rebuild our enemies, stronger, faster, smarter. ;-)

Last edited by Apocalypse; 08/07/14 10:44 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard