Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
T
Originally Posted by dlux
Because that would be closer to what the developers originally planned and similiar to what other developers have done. The game used to have 3 skills for intimidation, charm and reasoning BTW before it was ripped out.

But charisma only does that while strength and intelligence have other purposes. From a maximization standpoint you would never ever get charisma if you could use strength or intelligence to win arguments.

I can plainly see why they condensed it all into one skill. Sometimes you want to use a different line of dialogue. Why force you to always be a kissass because you picked x instead of z or y?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tyhan
Because that would be closer to what the developers originally planned and similiar to what other developers have done. The game used to have 3 skills for intimidation, charm and reasoning BTW before it was ripped out.

But charisma only does that while strength and intelligence have other purposes. From a maximization standpoint you would never ever get charisma if you could use strength or intelligence to win arguments.

I can plainly see why they condensed it all into one skill. Sometimes you want to use a different line of dialogue. Why force you to always be a kissass because you picked x instead of z or y?

You are thinking in binaries. A strength and intelligence skill check must not always work. Maybe only a perception skill check would work in certain situations.

They could leave the charisma skill in and use it as a bonus for skill checks (strength, perception, intelligence, whatever). There are many options and all are better than RPS in my opinion.

RPS is indeed a good idea if you play with a friend, but doesn't make much sense if used on NPCs. Just my opinion.

Last edited by dlux; 08/07/14 04:42 PM.
addict
addict
The game used to have 3 skills for intimidation, charm and reasoning BTW before it was ripped out.

Wait, what? I've seen all three options both times I've had to do RPS with an NPC, and both times I used reason (though, the first time I attempted charm). I'm confused why you think it's removed. Or did I miss something in an update, somewhere?

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
Originally Posted by Jito463
The game used to have 3 skills for intimidation, charm and reasoning BTW before it was ripped out.

Wait, what? I've seen all three options both times I've had to do RPS with an NPC, and both times I used reason (though, the first time I attempted charm). I'm confused why you think it's removed. Or did I miss something in an update, somewhere?

He means your characters used to have actual skills for these.

E
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
E
Well, you CAN skip it, at which point it supposedly simply does a skill-check.

veteran
veteran
Yeah, reason, intimidate, charm AND charisma used to be 4 different skills that got morphed into one single skill pretty early on in beta.

Probably a good thing, allows you to pick more freely what to say (instead of *always* one of 3) and charisma by itself was rather weak before this got added.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard